Notices

Going out tonight.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

RJ, there are a lot of people here who understand how difficult it is to put days together, so what you are hearing is a resounding chorus of people who don't want to see you go down a slippery slope.

Stating that you plan to go out and use substances to alter your reality is going to cause a reaction here. In my opinion, that is a healthy reaction. It would be easy to say "great have a blast". But you don't need that because your AV is already screaming it.

I have a hunch that you stated that because you wanted to hear the rational voices versus the AV. There are a lot of us struggling not to drink or drug, it's Friday everywhere to the best of my knowledge. I applaud your sobriety, as Lorelei said, not judging just caring.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Going out to drinking places with drinking friends so early in sobriety is very dangerous imo. I wouldn't have been able to abstain,hell I wouldn't have wanted to abstain if everyone around me was drinking and 'having fun'

For me,it's not just about quitting alcohol,I had to make various life changes too

I know you don't want to hear it but getting stoned doesn't sit well with sobriety really, It's just replacing one drug for another. Will it lower your inhibitions and make you more likely to pick up a drink? It's still a mind altering substance.

Maybe ask yourself why you want to go out drinking with your friends.Nothing will change if nothing changes. If they're real friends they'll do other stuff withyou.If they're just drinking buddies maybe you need new friends
Old 09-06-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey RJ...I share the concerns of others. It is not so much your smoking weed that troubles me, I supposed it's more all the "stuff" around it. And by "stuff" I mean your position of defense. You announced it on an alcohol and drugs recovery board and then smacked down the first person who had trouble with that. (I am glad to see you took a breath and apologized about that). As far as recovery goes, you are still "leaving" the social situation at hand and appreciating it for what it is (friendship and pizza) and altering your own state with a subtance...but in some ways I have done that with food, cigarettes and coffee..lol (altering my state via substance).

But ya know what....one thing at a time.
And one other thing...like Carl pointed out...I don't think it's wise to think "I've got this" at 3 weeks of sobriety. I am just over 3 months sober. I almost lost my sobriety at about 5 weeks in....and I had a very shaky week just the one previous...TWICE my sobriety was in jeopardy in that week. I could've lost almost 3 months of sobriety twice in one week. Just be wary okay...of all things. Stay connected with your sobriety. And I'm sorry weed is just another crutch. But hey, first things first
Old 09-06-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Wow! What a response from you all. I'm not going to drink tonight. Or ever!! I have too much to loose. I appreciate all the advice but i have the strength not to drink. 24 days proves that.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Originally Posted by RJY9 View Post
Wow! What a response from you all. I'm not going to drink tonight. Or ever!! I have too much to loose. I appreciate all the advice but i have the strength not to drink. 24 days proves that.
I am glad you have had the strength not to drink these past 24 days. But, RJ, if you are smoking pot and getting stoned, you are not sober.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
jkb

I get it. The vast majority of people that I know smoke weed. Everyone's always like weed weed weed.... especially since the latest legislation was enacted. So anyway to the point.. I have two experiences with this.

The other day was a BIG concert and off I went to the concert 6 months sober thinking "ok I got this". Man, let me tell you my beast started screaming "Drink, drink drink". I didn't but it put me in a bad mood. A REAL BAD MOOD. I realized then that being in the midst of the "party" was still tough for me.

Secondly, I quit drinking after the Superbowl. 2/3 was my quit date. On March 12th I had a panic attack for which I am prescribed Xanax. So, usually I can catch an attack pretty early and take a quarter of a pill. That day I waited it out and ended up taking a whole pill instead because well I went into a full blown attack. I got in my car to go home and after 36 days sober I pulled into the liquor store. My thought was "I am already really mellow now from the Xanax I could have a glass of wine... no problem". I woke up the next day covered in puke.

At any rate my point is be careful changing your mood too much. I still take Xanax as needed so I guess I am not "really sober" according to some people apparently but, I do have a new found respect for my tricky brain.

Jess

P.S. I have no issue with you smoking weed. To me if your goal was to quit drinking and you have and still smoke weed... toke away. Just giving you my experience. Eat a slice for me.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

jkb-genuine question, do you think smoking weed is on the same level as taking a xanax? I personally wouldn't look at it like that. A drug prescribed by a doctor for medical reasons wouldn't compromise your sobriety surely.

Whereas someone taking an illegal mind/mood altering drug is on a different level.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
jkb-genuine question, do you think smoking weed is on the same level as taking a xanax?
being prescribed a medication for the purposes of controlling a symptom and then taking it as prescribed by the doctor cannot be compared to getting high off a street drug for fun.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
jkb

You know I was told by someone (AA oldtimer) I was not sober if I took ANY mind altering substance. So, I suppose it is an opinion. BUT..

ReadyAtLast where I live MJ is often prescribed as well and no longer needs a prescription for recreational use.

I think it is a topic of interest for sure and one we will see more of in the future.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I'm not sure about that one. Quite a few people who get sober use anti-depressants as a matter of course.

Originally Posted by jkb View Post
You know I was told by someone (AA oldtimer) I was not sober if I took ANY mind altering substance. So, I suppose it is an opinion. BUT..

ReadyAtLast where I live MJ is often prescribed as well and no longer needs a prescription for recreational use.

I think it is a topic of interest for sure and one we will see more of in the future.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
jkb

mentium-
His issue with it was that it could be abused.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just a reminder folks
this is a recovery site.

We all have responsibility for our own lives - what we all do is our own business, good or bad...

but I and the other mods have a responsibility for whats posted here.

According to rule 2

It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.
There's a world of difference between someone here still using or drinking and trying to quit, and someone posting they have no problems with using/drinking.

Please respect others.

RJY has made it clear he gets it now, so let's move on.

Dee
SR
Old 09-06-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Quite so and fair enough.

Originally Posted by jkb View Post
mentium-
His issue with it was that it could be abused.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
jkb

With that said...

I most definitely consider myself sober and since I put down the bottle the anxiety has become so mush better that I very rarely even need Xanax at all.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
jkb

Sorry Dee
Old 09-06-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

sorry Dee