Notices

I think im an alcoholic

Old 09-04-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The first day is the hardest

I think im an alcoholic

im drinking all the time everyday 6-7 beers sometimes.i feel down and depressed felt like this for 3 years and im 22
Old 09-04-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, John. Welcome. Are you still drinking or have you quit?
Old 09-04-2013, 03:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

im still drinking had 4 beers today cause im bored ..
Old 09-04-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! Alcohol is a depressant so can make you feel depressed (or more depressed) so stopping drinking can only help your mood. Do you have any real life support? Friends or family you can trust? Or what about AA or one of the other recovery programs? There are lots of ways to get sober, but what it boils down to is how badly do you want to be sober! When you want to be sober more than you want to drink then you'll be able to stay sober.

I'm glad you found us and joined the family!
Old 09-04-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I really want to be sober and starting enjoying life etc ..im looking to get support etc but I love a drink to get me through some days/night..thanks for having me guys
Old 09-04-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by johnatahn1 View Post
im drinking all the time everyday 6-7 beers sometimes.i feel down and depressed felt like this for 3 years and im 22
no one can tell you for sure if you are alcoholic
but
you have some strong signs shown there
you are invited into Recovery
you will never look back with regret
only a true joy

Mountainman
Old 09-04-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thanks I enjoy drinking though at times and I suppose its hard to define if I am an alcoholic but I know I have a problem
Old 09-04-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sometimes I think the labels don't matter as much as actually doing something about the problem...

if you feel you're drinking too much and it's making you unhappy, it seems pretty commonsensical to me to try and stop

you'll find a lot of support here johnatahn1

D
Old 09-04-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

but I have kept going and its landed me in hospital before
Old 09-04-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Liquor ceased to be a luxury; it became a necessity

Originally Posted by johnatahn1 View Post
thanks I enjoy drinking though at times and I suppose its hard to define if I am an alcoholic but I know I have a problem
not my story below
but
I relate to this story -- you may also ??
Mountainman

I Am a Recovering Alcoholic

Misery To Miracle

I began to be jittery in the morning.
Liquor ceased to be a luxury; it became a necessity. Gradually things got worse. As we became subjects of King Alcohol, shivering denizens of his mad realm, the chilling vapor that is loneliness settled down. It thickened, ever becoming blacker.
If there was a Devil, he seemed the Boss Universal, He was on different footing. His roots grasped a new soil.
An all night place supplied me with a dozen glasses of Vodka. My writhing nerves were stilled at last.
Should I kill myself? No not now. Then a mental fog settled down. Vodka would fix that. So two bottles, and oblivion. The remorse, horror and hopelessness of the next morning are unforgettable, awakening to face the hideous Four Horsemen - Terror, Bewilderment, Frustration, Despair. No words can tell of the loneliness and despair I found in that bitter morass of self-pity. Quicksand stretched around me in all directions. I had met my match. I had been overwhelmed. Alcohol was my master. An illness of this sort and we have come to believe it an illness involves those about us in a way no other human sickness can.
It was only a matter of being willing to believe in a Power greater than myself. Nothing more was required of me to make my beginning. We learned that we had to fully concede to our innermost selves that we were alcoholics. This is the first step in recovery. The delusion that we are like other people, or presently may be, has to be smashed. At the hospital I was separated from alcohol for the last time. Treatment seemed wise, for I showed signs of delirium tremens. There I humbly offered myself to God, as I then I understood Him, to do with me as He would. I placed myself unreservedly under His care and direction. I admitted for the first time that of myself I was nothing; that without Him I was lost, asking only for direction and strength to meet my problems as He would have me. Never was I to pray for myself, except asking God to remove the wrath of satan and the bondage of alcohol as my requests bore on my asking only for direction and strength to meet my problems as He would have me. I would enter upon a new relationship with my Creator; that I would have the elements of a way of living which answered all my problems. Belief in the power of God, plus enough willingness, honesty and humility to establish and maintain the new order of things, were the essential requirements. Simple, but not easy; a price had to be paid. It meant destruction of self-centeredness. I must turn in all things to the Father of Light who presides over us all. These were revolutionary and drastic proposals, but the moment I fully accepted them, the effect was electric. There was a sense of victory, followed by such a peace and serenity as I had never know. There was utter confidence. I felt lifted up, as though the great clean wind of a mountain top blew through and through. God comes to most men gradually, but His impact on me was sudden and profound. The day was January 19th, 2008 approximately 9:03AM. I never had an urge to drink since.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for that comment.its very respectful.for me its I don't know when to stop and will be happy to drink all day but I do want to stop although I enjoy ..im at a hard part in my life now I have no money no job etc no drink
Old 09-04-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

and like I want to drink now .. how can I stop the urge for a beer
Old 09-04-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It doesn't get any better Johnathan, quite the contrary.
Issues such as job, money etc will not be eradicated by alcohol.
Too many of us put the cart before the horse, and end up in the ditch.
Hope you can find some positives to work with.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi John. I'm so glad you are here!
I was told, if I think I'm an alcoholic, then I probably am.
I absolutely can relate to your misery, and felt that way, too.

Keep talking about it and just dont have that first drink, things will get better
Old 09-04-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I haven't had a beer for one hour its not good enough now ....so Im going to belive im an alcoholic because I think I am
Old 09-04-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Support can really help John. I hope you'll stick around and read and post regualrly

D
Old 09-04-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I feel good being here reading posting etc...I don't know how to stop in terms of I have no money for beer tommorow but I will want beer
Old 09-04-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

If you stop, from what I've been researching, after about 8 months the "alcohol cloud" will lift and you should see life from a completely new positive perspective. You should also become more productive with your time.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome John. Hope you stick around. I'm only at Day 10 without alcohol and I feel soooo good. You can do it!
Old 09-04-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome John! Try not to overwhelm yourself with everything all at once. Try to take one day at a time. I feel that for me it has even been harder to stop drinking when your younger. I'm 28 and have finally decided to stop drinking. We have nothing to lose by stopping drinking and everything to gain! Keep your head up