Notices

Excessive Eating

Old 09-04-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aurorap12 View Post
Can anyone relate to the newly sober fatigue?
I went through a three-month out-patient rehab program, and tiredness was a frequently discussed topic. Our counselors told us that this is very common because it takes a while for the brain to re-wire, if that makes sense. I only drank heavily for a two to three year period but it really messed up my whole body. I'm three months out now and just starting to feel re-energized. The first month was sort of a false happiness (freedom from alcohol and all that good stuff) but I was absolutely physically exhausted. We were totally abusing our bodies and it takes time to repair.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Aurorap - I'm sure you have your answer by now, but I just wanted to chime in that I was exhausted all day, after a solid sober 8 hours of sleeping and I am currently eating shredded cheese right out of the bag...
Old 09-08-2013, 02:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eveval View Post
I am currently eating shredded cheese right out of the bag...
Lol
Old 09-08-2013, 03:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi auro, yes I had that too in early sobriety. Replacing the calories from the booze partly. It evened out after about a month. Keep going. Good job.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:16 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I ate a lot very early on. I drank beer and I figured some of the eating was to maintain that bloated gut feeling I had when I was drinking. I just deliberately reduced my food intake a few weeks after I quit. Early on my opinion is to focus on staying quit only.
In the beginning I was super hyper then maybe 2 weeks in lost energy. It comes back though. Just go with it and let time do its thing. Keep goin'!
Old 09-08-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Is'nt it funny how we all eat healthy when "drinking" like a fish. As for eating I am putting on weight but sure will start back training tomorrow and hope that will help me from gaining to much.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:41 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I ate 3 boxes of candy and about 5 homemade cupcakes. I don't even like candy!!!! It's "normal", lol. I'd like it to stop before I gain another 15 pounds!
Old 09-08-2013, 06:39 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I've been off booze only for a week. After a couple of days, I'm eating like a pig at night. I've very jittery at night and so I eat. It takes my mind off the drinking and helps me to get by. I figure, one vice at a time.

Goose
Old 09-08-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

You are definitely not alone with this. My appetite has become insatiable from about day 3 or 4 of my recovery (today is day 7). When I would drink, I would get hungry for a bit and then keep drinking and cross the line into losing my appetite. The next day, food just didn't sound good and it tasted weird from my taste buds being all jacked up from the drinking.

Once the alcohol was out of my system and my stomach and taste buds started becoming accepting of food again, my body decided it needed food! I'm not even usually a sweets guy but yesterday I was on my way back from having my car washed and detailed and I had to stop at Aldi for some cookies and cream ice cream. I just craved it! I have also been grilling out every night.

My secret (other than my giving in to some ice cream) is to cook food that I like but try to make it as healthy as possible. If I make myself a big ol' cheeseburger I make sure my sides are vegetables. I had some hotdogs but made sure they were turkey. Things like that. I would much rather have food craving than be drinking alcohol and destroying my body so I think the tradeoff is worth it