Notices

Info on support wanted please

Old 09-02-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Kys

Info on support wanted please

I am moving to a major city this week.

There's many places that hold AA meetings. I know this has been said many times before but it does seem daunting, though who knows, maybe it's the change I need... I'd love any insight on what to expect?

Also, any other options? I've tried over the phone counselling for alcohol abuse but didn't get the results I wanted (helped a little). Like I said, AA seems a bit daunting so I'm open to other things also.

Finally, I'm unsure if i should see a new therapist, the idea has appealed to me recently. My current one (incredible person) helped me tremendously with anxiety in the past which I managed, I REFUSED to give up until I beat it - I wasn't going to go quietly... I thought I'd prefer seeing that person for this (drinking) as it seems like someone who knows my history and has helped me so much in the past would be ideal, however I did go back recently but the conversation quickly led to how I should remember that I have an obsessive side and so this (drinking) kind of took back seat to the conversation, at least directly. I understand there's many many complexities to these things, but i didn't leave with a sense of uplift like I did when managing anxiety. The main point tabled was that I've acknowledged I can obsess and I'm aware I have a propensity to do so, and that I have the tools to manage it - so I don't need to go down this drinking path, but the reality is, I am. I'm not asking for medical advice but just perspective if anyone feels they can add? Thinking of seeing the GP who's supported me thus far, and seeking a new therapist through them, the GP has a keen interest in helping patients overcome addiction.

Drank on day two. Desperation and boredom were tonight's 'themes'.

To finish, I don't even like to think where I'd be without SR. I'm lucky to have this place.

Kys
Old 09-02-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I found this really useful:

Your First AA Meeting<

I was terrified before my first AA meeting. That lasted until I walked in that room and then it was all fine. There is actually nothing to be afraid of and you will feel nothing but relief x
Old 09-02-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Kys,
I think with all therapy, there will be those times that are not uplifting. I had many times where I felt like I was not getting much from it, or I felt like we were not finding a solution. The obsessive nature is a good thing to look at especially when it deals with Alcoholism. I think looking at the "Whole" picture is necessary. Next session may be different. I am not sure if you should find someone else just yet. Only my opinion.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree. I think therapy, like recovery, has its ups and downs. I hope you find something that works for you.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think the idea of going to an AA meeting for most of us is the fear of the unknown. There are many ignorant ideas about it until we investigate it for ourselves and give it a fair shot for OURSELVES. My first impression seeing all the banners was it's back to kinder garden, yet +30 years later I still can use every one of them. I saw the word God and immediately thought of a religious denomination and I'm not religious. I saw a step that I'd be restored to sanity and figured if that is a belief then I was insane, looking back now I needed that one seeing all the insane things I'd done. In reality it's a fellowship of people, mothers, fathers, friends and others who understand and are willing to help each other face to face to stay sober. Yep there are things certain people don't like, but keep coming and take what's needed and perhaps with more sobriety we will see more value with that we don't care for. I did. And I keep coming. BE WELL
Old 09-02-2013, 08:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kys

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Was good to even get my thoughts and planning out there.