Notices

New phase of recovery

Old 08-31-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New phase of recovery

Hi,

I'm on day 17 and since a couple of days I seem to be in a new type of phase of recovery.

The detox and physical withdrawal seems to be over. I don't feel sick anymore. My body seems to have worked hard to clear out the mess.

Now I feel drained, both physically and mentally. I feel like an empty battery. No energy, tired, no energy to think clearly even.

Every part of me is telling me to rest and sleep. And to eat well. It feels like this is necessary to recharge.

So I've been eating well, only healthy. And I sleep 11-13 hours a night. I didn't think I'd every be glad to not have a job but right now the unlimited free time is what I need.

Does this sound familiar?
Old 08-31-2013, 08:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

I was there 2 years ago. Today, I am working again.

I never once went without what I needed in the last two years, including time to recover!

~I wish you well~~heal well and keep moving forward~
Old 08-31-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
sgs

yes-i am day 16 but have felt just lazy--wanting to eat, sleep and watch tv--last night i stayed up late and watched a football game with husband and was really into it so maybe rest is ok and i am gradually healing my body.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
DAB

I started eating healthy and working out shortly after I quit.
I only wish I could sleep that much.
I am lucky if I get 5 hours a night.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Same as the OP here. Over the detox period and the major withdrawal symptoms and I am taking to my bed for a nap in the afternoons because I am so drained. Feeling listless and lacking any sort of energy. On the plus side I am noticing a sudden waking up of the ability to sit still, to concentrate, to appreciate the simple view out of the window..

All part of recovery I am assuming!
Old 08-31-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mentium View Post
Same as the OP here. Over the detox period and the major withdrawal symptoms and I am taking to my bed for a nap in the afternoons because I am so drained. Feeling listless and lacking any sort of energy. On the plus side I am noticing a sudden waking up of the ability to sit still, to concentrate, to appreciate the simple view out of the window..

All part of recovery I am assuming!
I've noticed a few quick moments of clarity as well so I guess that's where we're headed. It was just like I perceived things before I started drinking. They're just small glimpses so far, but a lot of rest will restore it completely I assume.

And an interesting thing just happened. I was sitting here and suddenly, out of nowhere I got a sudden craving for boiled eggs. So much so that I went to the store to get some. And when I was there I suddenly felt like drinking lemonade syrup as well. Something I usually find disgusting. But for some reason I felt like I needed it so I got a bottle.

I've eaten the eggs and drunk the lemonade and I must say, I feel better.

It makes sense. The past week or so I've been doing some research on nutrition. Turn out that eggs provide nutrients for your muscles (proteins). And fat is a source of energy for your body. It is a "slow" type of energy, meaning that it takes a while before the eggs get processed by the body and the energy becomes available. But when it does, it is relatively long-lasting.

Lemonade contains a lot of sugar. Sugar provides almost immediate energy. It is not smart to get it from lemonade with all the refined sugar, but in this case my body generated a craving for it. Usually I get this type of energy from fruit, which has natural sugars.

But I was exhausted and my body craved sources that give several types of energy. Very interesting. I didn't even realized it until I got back home from the store.

I'm beginning to develop an interest in the human body and it's functioning. Cool side effect! Now I have something new to study. Wikipedia here I come!
Old 08-31-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
(previously uksupport)

I went through a similar phase and its only the 3rd week i seem to have energy back after feeling so knackered. I think its because when i was drunk all the time i never used to sleep enough, so my body was literally lacking sleep. Since being sober, my body is knackered all the time because its so sleep deprived and its slowly recovering.

I have started working out again though which is good. Just doing weights at home. End of the 3rd week and am feeling a lot better. So the phase does pass.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Don't know how long you were drinking. But the need for alcohol or excessive use everyday for many years does take its toll ones body, not only on those thibgs we think about like liver etc. but also mental state. Sleep is great and get a lot of it - it will help you and it is amazing sleep. Overtime it gets beter and better...everything gets better food, relationships, health, life outlook etc..........even sex gets better (hope mods will let that thru).
Old 08-31-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good for you James and to all of you....I promise your mind and body will settle down...time to start working routines into your life....proud to hear all of this recovery.

Best to moderate refined sugar, caffeine...avoid dehydration and add fiber.

Words I must remember.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dejvice View Post
Don't know how long you were drinking. But the need for alcohol or excessive use everyday for many years does take its toll ones body, not only on those thibgs we think about like liver etc. but also mental state. Sleep is great and get a lot of it - it will help you and it is amazing sleep. Overtime it gets beter and better...everything gets better food, relationships, health, life outlook etc..........even sex gets better (hope mods will let that thru).
I did drink 2-3 bottles of wine each night for several years. I can't even quite remember when it started. So yeah, there's a lot of recovering to do,
Old 08-31-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by james872 View Post
Every part of me is telling me to rest and sleep.
Sounds like you are listening to your body and healing. I say, sleep as much as you need

Congrats on 17 days!
Old 08-31-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by james872 View Post
I did drink 2-3 bottles of wine each night for several years. I can't even quite remember when it started. So yeah, there's a lot of recovering to do,
Neither can I remember when it started, I guess nobody can pin point it because it is a progressive illness that creeps up on you. When I started work I only drank on a Friday / Saturday......never went wild at University in fact rarely drank except after exams. Fast forward 20 years later.....drinking everyday, took over my life, planned my drinking....and planned it well. I'd say the last 5 years it was getting more intense, just beer and sometimes wine and lots of it. It feels great not to be a slave to it.......for instance this afternoon went for lunch with partner (kids at a frends house) then we went for a walk, bought some bread in a local market, ice cream then walked home again. A year ago.....I would be rushing to the bar. Funny as it sounds even ice cream is part of the recovery process.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you'll start to feel better and more energised soon James. Congrats on your 17 days

D