Notices

Every day makes me happier I quit!

Old 08-29-2013, 11:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Every day makes me happier I quit!

Man, my choice to get off the ride just looks smarter and smarter as the day goes go on! For those who don't know I work as a chef (well, I used to be a chef, not I cook while I finish up my B.A. in Business). The kitchen life can be a rough one, and cooks tend to be a "colorful" group of people. Some just like food and are addicted to the rush. Others are too many tattoos and/or criminal convictions get do any other kind of job. Some are both!

One of the guys I work with used to be an exec chef, but now he just cooks. I really like the guy! He can really rock out on his station. But I can see why he can't do the exec job anymore. Every time I've ever worked with him he's smelled like the trash can behind a liquor store. Yesterday I guess he downed an entire case of beer during his shift! Left a cooler full of ice in his car, kept going out and shotgunning brews on his smoke breaks. Amazing in a way, but I can understand. By the time I quit my tolerance was high enough that it was hard to even catch a buzz from beer.

Another guy I work with just got arrested a few nights ago. Guess his neighbor ratted him out to the cops. He smokes weed like a fiend- he told me once that he spends around $500/month on bud! At any rate he's been feuding with a neighbor across the hall; I guess she saw him toking on his porch and saw the chance to "get even." Cops knocked on his door and he let 'em in, ended up getting popped for possession and paraphenalia. Naturally he smokes cigs and drinks like a fish as well. And he can never figure out while he's always broke.

Yet another guy I work with used to sell drugs. He also grabs a bong the minute he walks in the front door and "smokes himself stupid" every night.

Every night I work with this motley assortment of characters and listen to their sob stories constantly. Man, I'm so hungover! Dude, my old lady is raggin' me about always smokin up! I think I'm gonna get evicted over the arrest. So much drama, so much energy poured down a karmic hole, all that money and all the relationship drama...

And it's all self inflicted! Tell me again why I drank for so long?
Old 08-29-2013, 11:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad your futures looking up MOS

D
Old 08-29-2013, 11:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Ahah the colorful characters of the catering industry. I have memories of doing silver service wedding catering with stoners, drunks and pill-poppers. It made service interesting sometimes. Seemed that amphetamines were the drug of choice for caterers in my area. I went out clubbing the other night. Sober as a judge. Got in at 4am. When I woke up bright and fresh all my friends were texting me asking why they felt so crap lol. I know the feeling. We wonder why we did it for so long.

Natom.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hahaha! Sundays at work are priceless! All the other guys crawl in looking like something the cat hacked up, and I'm fresh as a daisy! I think they get even sicker when they see how chipper I am!
Old 08-29-2013, 11:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Myth - you should take up playing the violin and practice on Sundays in your lunch break lol (am in evil mode)
Old 08-30-2013, 12:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Or the banjo. Can't imagine hearing the duelling banjos bit from Deliverance being that nice when you're hungover.

Natom
Old 08-30-2013, 12:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Can't beat some morning hilarity! I'm currently fresh as that daisy and my OH is like a slug because he doesn't deem it important to support me in being sober. So as I'm enjoying getting the kids ready and listening to my music - lets just say he's struggling a bit lol gotta love karma!