Notices

No Class of Augiust 2013, so hi!

Old 08-30-2013, 12:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No Class of Augiust 2013, so hi!

Hello all, A serial 'quitter' here, not ready to quit quitting yet!

It is true. I want to stop drinking so much I keep trying. I manage a few days here and there but never seem to get the 'traction'. Recently though I finally accepted something really damned obvious. I am an alcoholic. Yep. I can't really control drinking and yet for years I have tried to. What happens? I drink every day - increasingly to stop feeling crap from the drinking the day before..the spiral many of us know so well.

There is no secular RL support around my neck of the woods, so I decided if AA is the only game in town, I better make the best of it. There are five meetings a week locally and I have decided to go to all five, to do the program from a secular perspective as best I can (I an an atheist) and to try to join in with the way they look at it (I have tried everything else after all!).

I am on day six now and I have been to three meetings. Over the worst of the physical withdrawal and sleeping not to badly. I will be attending meetings until I feel something major has changed for me. It may have already. Wish me luck!
Old 08-30-2013, 12:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Took me a while to gain traction too, but SO glad I finally did.
Day 6 is brilliant!!
Like you say - you're over the worst of the physical stuff - I made a point of writing all those symptoms down while they were fresh in my memory (how easily we forget), and it's really helped keep me focussed. NO way, do I want to go through those again.
Well done!
Old 08-30-2013, 12:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good to have you here! As a fellow atheist I found AVRT to be the best tool for me. The Secular Connections section here is also great.

AVRT worked so well for me that it's almost "cheating"! I would feel guilty for having it so easy if I wasn't so glad to finally be off the ride. Best of luck with whatever helps you to get sober.

Sometimes there are turning points in our lives that we don't recognize until we turn and look back. Maybe for you that's finally admitting in your bones that you have a problem. I hope that's the case! I think a lot of us quit when it's harder to live with the bottle than it is to live without it.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mentium - good to see you

Class of August has hit part 4:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-4-a.html

Last edited by Dee74; 08-30-2013 at 03:01 AM.