Notices

Advice Please

Old 08-29-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice Please

Im in a sticky situation. My girlfriend lives in London, I live and work about 100 miles away in my hometown. My parents own a flat in my hometown that I have an offer to move into at a low rent. I want to move in there, live on my own, free from distractions, and fit in as many aa meetings as possible. This town can also be very boring with not alot to do.

However I also want to be with my girlfriend, i dont want to break up with her and finish a 5 year relationship. She keeps asking me to move to London. I think if i move up there i think it may be harder to stay sober. As I would have to live with people. Although a positive from living there is there are more alcohol free activities to do there, like going to the theatre etc, also there would be the support of my girlfriend which could help alot.

What do you think the best option is?
Old 08-29-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by thesun View Post
What do you think the best option is?
IMO if you put your girlfriend ahead of your sobriety, your drinking will just drive her away anyway.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm thinking that if you wanted 100% to move in with your gf (and I might be wrong), then you'd be packing, not asking us Also, as you know, jobs are not easy to find -would you be able to find work in London?
Old 08-29-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My advice?

Fast forward the movie....to, say, this time of the year in 2018. Now where do you see yourself? If you still see nothing remember this, if aren't making plans for yourself, than eventually you will find yourself fitting into someone else's "plans."

Good luck and God Bless
Old 08-29-2013, 11:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you two have five years together I'd say you need to have a long, heartfelt talk with her. Let her know how much you're suffering from alcohol; maybe she doesn't know. Make it clear to her that the one non-negotiable is sobriety. See how she feels about that.

Maybe you're better off without 'distractions.' Or maybe you have an ally in her. Talk to her and find out.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lots of meetings in London.....
Old 08-29-2013, 11:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Hey thesun,

Tricky one. What I will say, like coraltint ^^^ is that London has a ridiculous amount of meetings. Breakfast meetings, midnight meetings etc. You could go from one to another from sun up to sun down and most likely not have a gap of more than 20 minutes between each one.

Natom.