Notices

My First Day Sober in 2 Years...

Old 08-28-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Cool. For what it's worth there are a lot of alternatives to AA - it was a good place for me to start, just to get the basics and be with some people who understood my story. I think the best thing about those meetings, in the early going, is to see some success stories.

I remember being in treatment, in early recovery. I was a bit overweight, sick, depressed, and just felt so down on myself. It was hard to look in the mirror those days. And then our group went to our first mandatory AA meeting, and I remember hearing the lead speaker that day and will probably always remember it. He was around my age, mid 30s. He'd ridden his bike there, to the meeting, and you could see he was in great shape. His story was a lot like mine - started drinking in college, settled down, then started up again and all of a sudden found himself lost. Just to see this healthy, young guy who had picked his life up again, looking so good and confident up there....made me think I had a chance. I said, "I can be like him someday". Gave me a reason to keep going, gave me a role model to look up to. I don't remember his name and I never saw the dude again, but I can still remember how healthy I thought he looked. I wanted that.

Since then I've created my own path. A "recovery stew", I mix and match recovery methods and find what's right for me, sometimes I try things that I end up ditching. But there are no rules, nobody's forcing me to go. As long as I'm sober, I'm making progress. Perhaps you will find someone you can relate to at these early meetings as well. Either way it's encouraging to see you giving yourself a chance!
Old 08-29-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

Wow well I can relate to your story, I put on 3 stones in the last two years & definitely have some depression going on! Yeah, I'll stick with AA for now for the inspiration & company purposes. I was just grumpy yesterday :p

DAY TWO!!!!! Ok sleep sucked last night, I woke every hour or so and then overslept today and missed my doc appointment Well, it was just a follow up session to check that I'm not suffering too much from physical withdrawal because I'd refused meds. I can always go to ER if things get too bad. I'm well aware now of the dangers because of SR! Today, I'm a lil shaky, just had a protien shake full of vits and goodness! I also popped a few caffiene tabs just to try to get moving. Gonna eat well and drink a TON of water today.

I'm more scared of my monkey mind which will jump into action at approximately 5pm. I am going late night shopping to combat some of this! Hope to not get home till after 10pm, when I can take a bath, listen to some sleep hypnosis music and hopefully get a better nights sleep. I'll keep ya posted and TY all again for the kind words and support
Old 08-29-2013, 08:19 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Good that you have a plan. Enjoy shopping, JDM!
Old 08-30-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

Day Three!!!

So I didn't get home till late last night. The distraction shopping was awesome although I think replaced alcohol with food because we went for a massive meal but nevertheless. I made it to day 3. Sleep sucked again, lotsa weird dreams n sweating but I guess that'll subside soon.

Woke mega late today cos of said night. It seems when it gets to morning I sleep like a baby. Maybe because the drinking window for me is completely closed in daylight? I've no idea. I feel quite perky right now. My shoulders still ache for some reason but my stomach pain has gone. No shakes today either. I'm off out soon for another meal O.o but at least it will keep my mind off the booze to make it to day 4. I'm withdrawing from abusive addictive partner and alcohol. I can tackle my weight later methinks!

Have a fab friday everyone
Old 08-30-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Nice work! Great to hear you are progressing. Remember to do your best to stay away from venues that serve alcohol, including restaurants and liquor stores, if possible. I know it's not always easy, but separating one's self from the drink is really important in the early stages, especially for someone that was a daily drinker (as I was) for over 10 years. Thanks for the update!