Notices

Quitting Caffeine

Old 02-14-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Woke up feeling awful this morning with a headache. Drank a cup of coffee and felt instantly better. Trying to get by with just that one cup today.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

You can do it ABLK.

I read somewhere that even a small amount of caffeine can make the withdrawal symptoms go away.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

yep! I used excedrine to deal with the withdrawals as I tapered.... one pill was 65mg, so I knew exactly how much I was ingesting versus the variability of caffeine drinks.

I have twice managed to get to zero caffeine intake for about a total of five days over the past month.

I'm now hovering at 1-2 cups a day..... just cannot seem to shake this thing!!!

ARRRGGHHH!!!

I do think that if / when I can knock it off for 60-90 days it will be a benefit to my body, but holy hell is it hard!
Old 02-15-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Caffeine is such a mind altering drug, I never put two and two together until end of last year. I have switched to tea and am much more level all the time:-)
Old 02-15-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

i have a question. I was reading your thread and you said month 2 you felt good. Was the entire first month painful? I am nearing the end of week 2 but I still am having very mild headaches. (btw I never get headaches until this). I've never really tried cutting out caffeine before but I am on this diet that says no coffee... decaf or otherwise. I think I have more cravings for coffee than I do for alcohol.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

cusper, the headaches weren't that bad for me at the end of week 2 (but then I went to one cup a day for a week before quitting and that might have helped. When I first tried cold-turkey, the headaches were killer which was why I cut back first). But I was super tired for the first few weeks. I slept a lot. It was a month or so before I really felt like myself again. It got progressively better though. The first week was the worst, week 2 was a struggle and weeks 3 and 4 I saw more improvement. Withdrawal symptoms can vary for everyone, but I suspect if you keep at it you'll start feeling better soon.

I also have more coffee cravings than alcohol. In some ways, I think it's been harder to quit. Granted, alcohol took me to a much lower place and I think that provided me with more motivation for quitting that.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DG0409 View Post
cusper, the headaches weren't that bad for me at the end of week 2 (but then I went to one cup a day for a week before quitting and that might have helped. When I first tried cold-turkey, the headaches were killer which was why I cut back first). But I was super tired for the first few weeks. I slept a lot. It was a month or so before I really felt like myself again. It got progressively better though. The first week was the worst, week 2 was a struggle and weeks 3 and 4 I saw more improvement. Withdrawal symptoms can vary for everyone, but I suspect if you keep at it you'll start feeling better soon.

I also have more coffee cravings than alcohol. In some ways, I think it's been harder to quit. Granted, alcohol took me to a much lower place and I think that provided me with more motivation for quitting that.
I fully agree that quitting caffeine is harder than quitting alcohol.....by a landslide.

I'm down to one cup of coffee the past three days. Rested as much as I could this weekend to compensate.

Things I've noticed (good):

1. Feeling much calmer
2. Less digestive distress in the mornings
3. Virtually zero craving for alcohol.

Things I've noticed (bad):

1. My brain on less caffeine is slllllooooww.
2. My sugar/carb cravings are out of control and I gained 3 lbs this weekend.
3. Energy ebbs and flows. Some moments are brutal and other times I feel fine. It will take time for my body to find balance again.

Today was my last cup of coffee I decided. Tomorrow, I'll have a cup of chai tea if I must or take an Excedrin instead. No more coffee though....it is my love and the quicker I get used to not drinking it the more I'll be motivated to get fully off all caffeine.

Hope everyone had a successful weekend!
Old 02-17-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Well, the last week or so I've been really good about limiting it to 2 cups of half-caf. So I figure that counts as one cup of regular. Been struggling a lot with other stuff in my life and lacking the motivation to try to cut it down further at the moment. I've thought a few times, "I could just have an extra cup of coffee, that would make me feel better." But I know that after that would come the crash from it. It also just seems like terribly unhealthy thinking to me.

ABLK- The good news is that I think the good things you've noticed will all continue. From my experience, at least numbers 1&3 of the bad things will improve a lot within the first few weeks. I'm not really sure about 2, but it seems like once you have more energy again, tackling diet and/or exercise will be easier. Or perhaps it will work itself out like the others.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DG0409 View Post
Well, the last week or so I've been really good about limiting it to 2 cups of half-caf. So I figure that counts as one cup of regular. Been struggling a lot with other stuff in my life and lacking the motivation to try to cut it down further at the moment. I've thought a few times, "I could just have an extra cup of coffee, that would make me feel better." But I know that after that would come the crash from it. It also just seems like terribly unhealthy thinking to me.

ABLK- The good news is that I think the good things you've noticed will all continue. From my experience, at least numbers 1&3 of the bad things will improve a lot within the first few weeks. I'm not really sure about 2, but it seems like once you have more energy again, tackling diet and/or exercise will be easier. Or perhaps it will work itself out like the others.
Being down to 1 cup of regular coffee is good! When life settles you can drop it down then. Good for you for not drinking more knowing the effect it would have.

Also, finding peppermint tea helps. The mint is refreshing. Also soothing to the stomach and stomach issues were a big reason I wanted to get off coffee in the first place.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Well, was down to one cup a day until last week. Was plagued by a nasty migraine for most of last week and resorted to drinking a few extra cups each day in hopes that it would help as caffeine is supposed to be good for headaches. So, tapering back down again. Slow and steady wins the race or at least finishes it anyway. I'll get there if I just keep at it.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Well, back at it. Been at about 2 cups a day, so going to cut back to one cup a day for a while starting today.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
Caffeine is such a mind altering drug, I never put two and two together until end of last year. I have switched to tea and am much more level all the time:-)
Check your teas. Some of them have some high caffeine.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

DG, thanks for this thread! It inspired me to cut the caffeine. I was down to 1 cup of coffee a day, and after reading some of your earlier posts I decided to try to switch to 1 cup of decaf only.

It's been 3 weeks and I don't miss the caffeine at all. I used to rely on it pretty heavily, but now that I am not overcoming the effects of alcohol it turns out it isn't actually necessary for me ...

So again, thanks. I feel healthier and stronger because you put this out there...
Old 03-11-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

I need my coffee...... I can't even think about quitting! But congrats to all who want to or who have succeeded
Old 03-11-2014, 10:35 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Always been a caffeine addict. Since I quit drinking 17 days ago, been swapping some of the 4-6 cups of daily coffee for energy drinks. It feels like I'm hindering the healing from going sober by overloading my body with caffeine and all that nasty jet fuel.

Inspired by this thread to kick the caffeine- and the refined sugar for that matter. Thank you.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Deckard- Glad you found this thread helpful. Way to go on 3 weeks no caffeine!!

Jade- I used to think I needed it too. But to be honest, I didn't like 'needing' it. Like any addiction, it's scary to think of giving it up, but the funny thing is that once we do, we look back and wonder how we ever thought we needed it and feel better without it.

Sigit- Keep us updated on your progress with kicking the caffeine and sugar.

Keeping it down to one cup of caffeinated coffee today again. Then I'll switch to decaf. A few more days of this and I'll go all decaf again. I woke up with more energy when I was off the caffeine and I'd like to get back to that.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

I've been good about keeping it to one cup a day. For some reason, I'm experiencing a lot of internal resistance to the idea of cutting back further. Still, I see that in my future.

I gotta admit though, keeping it to one cup a day is really a huge difference from where I was a year ago- I could drink several pots a day, so this really does seem like it's a lot better than that.