Notices

drive home cravings

Old 08-22-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

drive home cravings

I drive home from work at 10 PM every night, taking a half hour to get there. The whole time I argue with myself back and forth whether I'm going to stop at the local convenience store for a bottle of wine. So far I'm on my 6th day without it, but it's really hard because I know I always have the option to stop until 1 AM. I'm hoping to get on antabuse. I know it's not a magic pill. I just feel that if I take the option away from myself I won't obsess about it so much and maybe after a couple months of sobriety I'll be stronger and can calm my voices in my head. I only want it for a couple months until I can get into the habit of not even thinking it's a possibility to drink. I also feel that if I have a craving but know I can't fulfill it, I have time for the craving to pass. It's kind of like when I go shopping. If I want something, I usually leave it, then if I still want it a few days later I'll go get it, and it may even be gone by then. Anyone find antabuse to be a help in the early days of sobriety?
Old 08-22-2013, 09:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

This technique helped me with cravings

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

It was a revelation to me to realise I didn't have to act on my cravings and they would go away.

What about changing your routine as well - not only mixing up your route home, but changing what you do when you get home...think of ways to keep it fresh - it may help to break the associations?

D
Old 08-22-2013, 09:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Maybe you could think of some treat less damaging than wine?
Stop, purchase, and enjoy as a substitute.
Antabuse most probably won't change your long term mind set
Have you thought of joining a support group of some sort?