Notices

Craving

Old 08-22-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Congrats Nuudawn. Your inspiring others along this road. Keep up the great work friend!
Old 08-22-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Amajorityofone View Post
Congratulations!

Correct me if I am mistaken, but according to my math you are approximately sixty days into your sobriety? I ask because I just went through my journal and at the sixty day mark I took a much needed vacation. Nothing extravagant, just rented a car, and drove down to Atlanta for the weekend.

I encourage you to do the same asap.
I'm not much of a day counter Majority but since you mentioned it, I actually went and grabbed a calendar and counted lol. And I'm glad I did as I discovered 2 things...one being uber important. My FIRST day of sobriety was actually June 3rd...not June 2 as my signature states! Ooops..gotta fix that. Today is my 81st day. My sobriety date is very important to me but as I say I estimate my time sober rather than peg off days. Anyhoo....

Funny you should mention a trip as I toyed with taking one yesterday. Ya see I have my own business and I work as a server at a busy restaurant as well. Through the summer I have been working 6 shifts a week at said restaurant and this week I had an unusual two days off...in a row! Unfortunately I had things to attend to at my office and I'm actually saving for a trip to Portland and the Oregon coast in September..so well, staying home won out. But I think you are right.. I am LONG overdue for a get away.

Thank you all for your responses, amazing support and friendship. I love this place and I feel blessed to be a part of community.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Thanks for sharing this. Well done for recognising the craving for what it was and for recognising the triggers of hunger and stress. Those two are huge triggers for me also. Whenever I let myself get too hungry, I start thinking about a drink. I guess I should always carry a snack around with me or something.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
jkb

NuuDawn-
This happens to me here and there as well. I ran into a friend the other day and she mentioned she was on her way to the bar to watch a game. My brain said "you should go to. Just have a beer and relax."

I realized then that I was very hungry. So, I stopped, ate, and thought about the idea, realized it would not end at one beer and moved on with my day. It really surprised me though...Good for you at recognizing that voice for what it is...

Jess
Old 08-22-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Funny you should mention a trip as I toyed with taking one yesterday. Ya see I have my own business and I work as a server at a busy restaurant as well. Through the summer I have been working 6 shifts a week at said restaurant and this week I had an unusual two days off...in a row! Unfortunately I had things to attend to at my office and I'm actually saving for a trip to Portland and the Oregon coast in September..so well, staying home won out. But I think you are right.. I am LONG overdue for a get away.
Sounds to me like your cravings are related to stress, not desire. This is quite common.

Quick story-

I had to go down to Houston TX. last month to be in a wedding. After all of the picture taking and ceremonies were finally done, we (meaning the bridal party) were getting ready to go to the reception. All of the sudden someone said "I need a drink."

uh-oh....

The next thing you know, I felt I was in a room of human parakeets.

"i need a drink"
"i need a drink!"
"I need a drink!!"
"I need a drink!!!"

OK! I heard you already!

I chuckled to myself because I didn't feel that sensation at all. In fact, I offered to drive everyone back to the hotel when the reception was over.

Thus, the sooner you're able to "unplug", the better.
Mwah!
Old 08-22-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Well done on not drinking

I can relate as had this twice last year at 6weeks and drank both times because I had no idea how to handle it, I'd no experience. Once the first few weeks were over and I felt better the thought of a drink was oh so nice.

Never underestimate the power of the beast

HOpe today's a better day for you
Old 08-22-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I crave all the time. It doesn't go away. I'm only in my 6th day this time, and I have had to stop myself EVERY NIGHT on my way home from work not to get some wine. I'm working overnight right now and am thinking how nice it would be to get some wine on my way home at 9 AM and just have a little so I can get to sleep. I'm hoping I won't but the craving never leaves me.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:50 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
I'm not much of a day counter Majority but since you mentioned it, I actually went and grabbed a calendar and counted lol. And I'm glad I did as I discovered 2 things...one being uber important. My FIRST day of sobriety was actually June 3rd...not June 2 as my signature states! Ooops..gotta fix that. Today is my 81st day. My sobriety date is very important to me but as I say I estimate my time sober rather than peg off days. Anyhoo....

Thank you all for your responses, amazing support and friendship. I love this place and I feel blessed to be a part of community.
I figured out that if I don't buy wine every day like I used to, and save that $3.29 per day until January, I'll have $440.15 to spend on a trip to visit my ex sister in law in Florida. My idea is to put the $440 in a jar right now, and if I buy wine I have to deduct it from that. If I can see my trip money dwindling I think I probably will not buy any!
Old 08-22-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Way to go Nuudawn, very inspiring. What led to my relapse was that sinister voice saying I didn't really have a problem, that I could learn to enjoy and control my drinking. Thanks for the post!
Old 08-23-2013, 04:04 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Certainly those cravings can appear unbelievable at times. Well done on resisting/disengaging the craving.

I've also been having some strange cravings for now almost 2 days. I think it most definately has things to do with me stopping nicotine use (on day 3 without any nicotine). Yesterday I came from shopping and a group of youngsters were walking ahead of me carrying cases of beer and smoking cigarettes. For a moment I just stared at a store across the street and thought: "YES. I will follow that and do the same.". The frightening part is that I feel like I was jumping with joy about a good idea for a moment when I realized how evil this all was.

It's so strange really. For 2 months the resolve is strong and it is held in mind with patience. Then in one day in the mind it seems like a thing of lesser value than a moment of drinking. But they do pass, strange as they may be sometimes.