Notices

My first day 2

Old 08-20-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first day 2

I can't remember when I went over 48 hours without a drink. I cannot think of anything alcohol has done for me. It has ruined me financially. It hs put my relationship with my daughter in jeopardy. It has broken many pairs of glasses. It has sprained my ankle and given me a back eye. It has caused me to gag and vomit. It has caused me to lie and sneak and be incredibly creative about doing so. I am so mad at alcohol for ever finding me and becoming a part of my life. I think we need a divorce. I have been reading your inspiring and sometiimes painful stories. I know alcohol will ask me to take him back. I will need your help to say no. Thanks to all for sharing.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm on day 2 also I hate the stuff missed work on Monday (made some excuse) but truth is it was a heavy weekend taking in a wedding was enjoyable at the time but I'm stopping said this a million times tho so good luck to you also peaches I hope you get through today without a drink x
Old 08-20-2013, 08:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks and you too. My problem is the weekend. Maybe I'll be a little strong by then.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrts on day 2 Peaches

if the weekend is a problem why not start making a plan to stay sober next weekend now?

D
Old 08-21-2013, 04:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks dee. Congrats on your one year btw. Here's the problem with weekends. We live in the city and every Saturday all the friends meet at the bar and all we do is drink and bar hop on the way back home. Ive already told my husband I was going to do something else but ive said that before so I don't think he believed me plus we don't have the money but hell just swipe a credit card like we have done so many times before. I want to break this cycle.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

my daily habit

Day three. My habit was picking up 3 to 4 mini bottles on the way home every day. Day 3 of not doing that. Hardest time is 6 pm.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Peaches-

When it comes to substance abuse, 6pm isn't the "problem", the weekend isn't "the problem" and alcohol isn't the "problem."

Your thoughts are the problem.

“As he thinks, so he is; as he continues to think, so he remains.”
― James Allen, As a Man Thinketh

Thus, if you're serious about getting the devil off your back, the first thing you must change is how you think. The good news is that you are only one thought away from becoming the person God called you to be.

And that simple thought is this.

There is no "try." All there is in life is Do, or do not.
All you have to "do" is not drink, today.
Cut, dry & paste.

Simple.
Achievable.
Now go get an ice cream!

This single thought has worked for me for the last 367 consecutive days.
Be Encouraged!
Old 08-21-2013, 04:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kys

Hi Peaches, I can relate to the '6pm' thing. I know it will come, like it today, as much as I tell myself in the morning there's no way I'm drinking and today's the day it ends.

I was really prepared for it today, and I beat it because of that, and I checked in here. I'm just taking it one day at a time at the moment, even one minute at a time if I have to.

Congrats on day 3!
Old 08-21-2013, 04:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by peaches58 View Post
Day three. My habit was picking up 3 to 4 mini bottles on the way home every day. Day 3 of not doing that. Hardest time is 6 pm.
Hi Peaches. I agree, those first days....weeks...it's so ingrained in your routine. My usual stop after work was at the shopping centre where my train stop was. I just got the hell home as quickly as I could the first week or so. I still after 4 weeks, ALWAYS make sure I know what I'm doing when I get home, exercise or meal etc. It felt so boring too at times, but I push those thoughts out of my mind.

The same voice telling me its boring, is the same voice that would tell me 'what the hell, start the next bottle, you don't have a meeting until 10 at work tomorrow'....in other words....it's there, that voice....it's how you plan not to listen to it and what your back up distractions are...you have to have them!

I wish you all the very best. Keep well and look after yourself.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Did someone mention ICE CREAM I am eating the stuff, like it's going out of fashion lol x
Old 08-21-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZoeM View Post
Did someone mention ICE CREAM I am eating the stuff, like it's going out of fashion lol x
Lol. I am making myself fruit smoothies, it's my morning reward to waking up and feeling good. Funny thing was tonight I really felt like one, but was thinking, noo, shouldn't have fruit so close to bedtime and all those calories when you are just going to bed soon.

Then I thought....WHAT??? All those empty millions of calories from booze and I'm questioning a nice blueberry and raspberry smoothie? Pfffft! Now enjoying my antioxidant fix!
Old 08-21-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Fruit smoothie sounds brill!! I'm not worrying about the calories for now, as apart from anything else, I'm so full of icecream, I don't feel like eating dinner, so it balances out x
Old 08-21-2013, 05:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I scream, you scream, we all scream for Ice cream!

Old 08-21-2013, 05:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Peaches, My first day 2? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Is there an addiction site for Ice cream, hot chocolate and jelly babies? Nah! I think I'll stick with that addiction x
Old 08-21-2013, 05:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Is there an addiction site for Ice cream, hot chocolate and jelly babies? Nah! I think I'll stick with that addiction x
wassup Podna!

Don't even think about asking me to give up sugar, chocolate, sex, motorcycling or watching football!

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.
-Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-21-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Peaches the weirdest thing about the 6pm leano towards the vino is that it is like a muscle that you use over and over. Every day you do something different you put more distance between yourself and that cue.

I am day 56 today. I couldn't imagine 8 hours without a drink, let alone one sunset. I thought I was the only one in the world that looked forward to my "reward" at the end of the day. LOL, apparently not. I read post after post about people who are all struggling at that time of the day. Just thinking about that collective energy within this group of people, the others who are struggling too, takes some of the fear away. I want what the happy people have.

I am almost 50, I've tried everything....except sobriety. The crazy thing is, the peace I was seeking wasn't so far away. I started to see the benefits within days. I thought there would be this huge chasm I would have to cross to start realizing the fruits of my labor of not drinking. Every day has gotten better. I have 55 sober sunsets under my belt, and looking forward to another one today.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Simply Grateful

Originally Posted by peaches58 View Post
I cannot think of anything alcohol has done for me.
Amen. I was having the same thought this morning. I just got tired of feeling like crap and using alcohol instead of doing all the things I enjoy. Hang in there! You're doing great.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Simply Grateful

Originally Posted by Amajorityofone View Post
Hi Peaches-

When it comes to substance abuse, 6pm isn't the "problem", the weekend isn't "the problem" and alcohol isn't the "problem."

Your thoughts are the problem.

“As he thinks, so he is; as he continues to think, so he remains.”
― James Allen, As a Man Thinketh

Thus, if you're serious about getting the devil off your back, the first thing you must change is how you think. The good news is that you are only one thought away from becoming the person God called you to be.

And that simple thought is this.

There is no "try." All there is in life is Do, or do not.
All you have to "do" is not drink, today.
Cut, dry & paste.

Simple.
Achievable.
Now go get an ice cream!

This single thought has worked for me for the last 367 consecutive days.
Be Encouraged!
This is a great post! Thank you.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Just checking on on my lunch hour. Thanks to all for their posts. I feel great today. So do you think I'm done with any withdrawals? Some insomnia but that's even getting better. The after work thing was habit and about a 4 year habit. I tried to fight the urges but ended up going right by the store anyway. This week I just do right home and within one hour the urge has somewhat subsided and I'm glad I didn't stop. I just concentrate on dinner. Then I think about when I used to hide liquor with the windex under the sink. My husband doesn't drink during the week. Just silly stuff. I didn't know if this would really help but it does. So thank you all. Next time i stop on the way home will be for a milkshake. Lol