Notices

Need a Advice

Old 08-20-2013, 05:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need a Advice

This is my day 8 and I feel on top of the world getting through so much paperwork that i have put away for so long. I spent last weekend painting my house, the first weekend without a weekend drink in 12 years.

we go to our caravan every weekend in the summer, my problem is it is just an excuse for a big **** up and I am always the one falling around the caravan park (I hate it ). I spoke to my husband last night who was away with our children for the weekend and explain as its the last weekend next week, I really didnt want to go there as I didnt want to drink. His reply (as he can control his drinking)was nobody is holding your mouth open and pouring it down you throat, just don't drink !!!!. I know I will have to go as the kids would love me down and its there last weekend of the summer and beleive or not I am a real fun mom until wine time starts.

What I am asking people is I have a prescription for antabuse in my bag should i start taking it now that I won't be able to drink for the weekend or should I take the chance and hopefully somewhere down by my big toe have the willpower to say 'no'

I have being as good as gold for the last 8 days and you can see it in me I really don't want to go back to drinking, hangovers and not remembering how I got to bed.

I know I'm going on but its only Tuesday and it preoccupying my mind all morning - do I or do not take the tablets.

I hate this !!!!
Old 08-20-2013, 05:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi. I have mixed feelings about antabuse but if used as directed it works, however it can be very dangerous if mishandled. One won't mishandle it again if they live. In addition to using it I would read this site every day and AA would not be the worse thing we can do as its helped millions world wide.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mayhan View Post

What I am asking people is I have a prescription for antabuse in my bag should i start taking it now that I won't be able to drink for the weekend or should I take the chance and hopefully somewhere down by my big toe have the willpower to say 'no'
if you think you might want to drink
antabuse may be the way to go

my friend at work drank one morning while taking antabuse
he passed out and fell right on his face
Old 08-20-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My .02

After 365 consecutive days of 100% sobriety in a row my advice would be to put all of your energy into staying clean and sober today and today, only. Don't worry about tomorrow, next week, next month or next year. None of those days are guaranteed anyway. Don't make the goal bigger than it needs to be. Above all, don't look so far ahead, that you forget that today, not tomorrow, is the most important day.

Good luck and God Bless
Old 08-20-2013, 05:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always advise against these kinds of situations where there is no real escape from the drinking situation, especially so early on.

If you're determined to go tho...

I think there's no reason why you can't do what you did this weekend next weekend and stay sober...it'll take work and commitment...

but you could always think about the kids and about giving them a good weekend?

D
Old 08-20-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, I feel like you do, I love my newfound sobriety. My first 30 days were spent in inpatient rehab, and there I learned one really important word. Trigger! We used to yell it out loud jokingly, but it was good to notice the different things that came up and get used to the feelings it brought up.

I am sorry that your husband doesn't get it. I heard once that if you bought 6 cans of green beans and planned on having one with dinner, would you be able to stop at one? I guess that is how the rest of the social drinking world sees us.

My thought is that I know you don't want to disappoint your children, but my guess is that when you look back down the road you will see that you are still early on in recovery and that keeping triggers at bay is a very healthy choice. It sounds like you are already seeing the benefits of sobriety....it's great!
Old 08-20-2013, 05:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for great and varied advice .....baby steps is the moral of the story. I will leave the prescription in my bag for the moment and take today as today and not the weekend. i am really starting to identify my triggers. My husband (my drinking buddy)said he heard it all before but I really want to prove to myself I can stay sober for the weekend and prove to him that I have the will power to do it. Thanks again everyone
Old 08-20-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm just really having a moment about it !!!!
Old 08-20-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 8 i am glad you are feeling so positive.You say that you associate going there with drinking. Is there anyway you can avoid going?. You are doing well in your recovery and it seems risky to be going somewhere where you feel like you need to take such measures to not drink. I avoided any places and people that may have triggered me to drink for the first few months until i was more confident with my sobriety.

If you do go just remember that you can choose to stay sober and remember that you don't want to go back to a life with alcohol. I hope everything works out and you have a safe and sober weekend.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Hayley86 as its the last weekend before the kids go back to school I promised I would go. I know it's a major trigger and I would love to back out of it, I'm going down a day later and coming back Monday lunch time instead of tues so I will be there but less time.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That sounds like a good plan. Just stay strong and focused and keep yourself busy so you have less time to think about drinking. You can do it.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Friend-

One of worst things we do is let the worries of tomorrow, rob us of the beauty of today. Take solace in the fact that the best thing about the future, is that it comes one, day, at a time.

Be Encouraged!
Old 08-24-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well the weekend is here stocked up on books, the weather is crap cold and raining at the moment but I'm feeling strong ....baby steps
Old 08-24-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

First night down ...reading a story to the kids going to bed shortly sober. Thanks for help and support night
Old 08-27-2013, 02:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day 14 & still Sober.... Hi Everyone just to let you know that I survived the weekend sober. We all had a great weekend and my husband kept telling me that he was delighted for me. He had his few beers which didn't bother me, everyone was drinking but I went to bed with the kids around ten reading my book (happy as pig in muck) getting up without a hangover was just the most amazing feeling, I walked the beach at seven in the morning there wasn't a sinner up. I even managed to stay an extra day.

Don't get me wrong there were times when I could of caught my husbands cold beer and drank it one but I kept to my fizzy drink. There were times when I came up from Swimming and would have loved a cold beer but reached for the Fanta instead.

My husband and I had a great chat as he asked me did I mind him drinking and did I mind not drinking and I told him that I was feeling amazing and that I have also told him what my plans are to stop drinking a conversation that I was really delighted to be having with him sober

( I think he might have mistakenly clicked on to this site from my phone as he was using lingo like baby steps and one day at time but I really don't mind). Feeling so much stronger than last Tuesday.

Back to bikrim yoga today !!
Old 08-27-2013, 03:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Glad you had a great weekend. Congrats on 14 days sober!
Old 08-27-2013, 03:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Oh, well done, Mayhan! I bet your self-esteem has grown too, in line with your extra sober days!

And next time, it will be even easier.

Don't you just love the freedom that sobriety brings? The freedom to be (and stay being) the 'fun mom' that you really are?
Old 08-27-2013, 03:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Mayhan i just want to thank you for your post. I have a tough weekend coming up and you will be my inspiration
Old 08-27-2013, 04:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Peaches58 I genuinely dreaded the thought of the weekend but I just put myself in the frame of mind that this place that I visit every weekend was one of my major triggers, once I had the first night done, it made me more determined that I could do this. I have four major triggers in my life that I have identified with my drinking, I have faced two out of the four, it gives me the strength to face the next two. this morning I got up at 6am to travel back to work with my sons in the car we were singing songs, chatting and making plans for next week whereas before I would be in the horrors and not being able to talk. They are my inspiration !!

Hayley86- I am delighted to reach day 14 thanks

Headlump - My self esteem is through the roof at this very moment. I could take on the world as I am writing this. Thanks its great to see the world though sober eyes and not my wine googles.