Notices

It's like I'm waiting to hit Rock Bottom...

Old 08-19-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi JDM

I was living your life - I ended up nearly dying from my drinking.
That's not a path I recommend.

A bottom is not an event - it's a decision that you want to stop digging the hole you're in.

Coming here is a great start - SR helped me turn my life around.
I know we can help you do the same

You might have to break cover a little tho - I really recommend you go and see your Dr and be honest with them.

Detox can be rough for some of us.

D
Ty I've picked up the phone and dialled my doctor so many times and hung up. It's a family doctor and no-one knows I'm in this mess. But that said, posting here feels liberating, I've never spoken to anyone on this level before. I guess it's easier because yall don't know me and aren't judging me. Maybe, this is what I've needed, maybe I can call the doctor... hope I still feel this way tommorro.

Originally Posted by ersatzmatriarch View Post
hi jack, and welcome to SR!

a lot of good stuff here already, i just wanted to chime in.

my bottom wasn't as far down as i know things can get, and i will forever be grateful i stopped when i did. my health was really starting to slip. i could keep the house and kids running, but everyday i hurt like hell, and i was unable to actually engage with my family (i was more like a zombie just doing some of the next few things on a daily list.)

i think, though, that the things that really knocked some sense into me was realizing, after more attempts than i can count, that i could not stop drinking. i had to keep drinking because it hurt too much not to drink. that scared the stink out of me.

i found SR, made a plan, and have been sober almost 3 months now... and i could not be happier (even today, when i'm going through a minor episode of PAWS.)

i hope you stick around here... keep reading and posting, and know that getting sober can be done!
TY, I've been crying at some of the posts and kind things people say to each other. I'm a bloody wreck, I feel guilt that I shouldn't be living this life, I've not got it hard at all materially, Its emotional pain like you said. Im scared of not drinking and feeling the pain.

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Many of us didn't have that luxury. I simply could no longer function following my relapse. That doesn't mean you have to wait until it's a life-and-death fest.
True and hardhitting. This thread as shown me one thing... the right time never comes. You either do it whilst you're functioning and have the choice or the option is taken away from you.

PS - I'd like to reply to everyone but I will soon become incoherent Just ty all for your lovely inspiring truthful messages. It means a lot in this lonely situation I am in.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

just one more thing, jack... the loneliness, the pain that you mention... you don't ever have to feel like this again.

sending you thoughts of peace...
Old 08-19-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

I wanted it to get worse. I wanted it to get so bad that someone would ride in and make it all better.

And then I realized that they'd all left and the only one who could make it better was me.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Jack, I'm pretty new too, 54 days today. I like the quote by Dee, "sobriety is not an event, it's a decision".

For me, I picked up the phone and went and saw a therapist who specializes in addiction. She helped me get on the road. I tend to isolate, so that was a big deal to me, and I am so so grateful that I did it.

The fear of sobriety was worse than the actuality. I thought I couldn't live without alcohol, but I wasn't "living". I always found a way to be active in my drinking, this was the first step for me to be active in my recovery.