Notices

Hangover Hell

Old 08-19-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I'm 48, I have 54 days. I grew up dragging my mother to AA, I used to make coffee. She has 35 years of sobriety. But I knew about the disease enough to know I was playing with fire. When I was younger there was a time when I could pick and choose when I drank. I was in great shape and usually only drank on weekends.

I worked in NYC during my 20's for 10 years in finance, it was a pressure cooker. I would binge occasionally but didn't think about drinking daily. I suffer from a disease that causes chronic pain, and was put on benzos about 10 years ago. A very scary mix. The disease progressed.

I have always had sleep issues, and mixing benzo and alcohol, which is incredibly dangerous, I thought was helping me sleep. And yes, I was using benzos to make the hangovers less horrid (Klonopin is a benzo).

Bad idea. Apparently one of the most lethal combos to detox off of. I had to do it in a medical setting. I am glad I found a good doctor who understand what I was grappling with. I did not realize how precarious this combination is, and from what I have seen, a lot of docs don't really help patients understand how dangerous alcohol and benzos can be. There have been a few deaths that have made headlines in the last few months, young kids, so sad.

I've had 7 Sundays that have been good...the further I go the better they get. I wasted SO many Sundays hungover. At the end, I would basically plan on being useless on Sunday, but I might as well have planned on being useless the other 6 days too.

I have been gentle with myself and have avoided situations that might trigger me. I feel so good right now that I want to protect what I have found. I hope you find your way too.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:31 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by Carlygirl View Post
Dee. Something you said really struck me. You REALLY wanted to stop drinking. I have felt that I thought that about drinking too, but obviously not really. I am still drinking.

Smoking however, I REALLY wanted to stop. I was ashamed and finding it hard to hide. I read Allen Carrs book and I stopped. 12yrs ago and it's not a problem now.

I think drinking is different from smoking because although it is an addictive substance it is not mind altering. What do others think?
Drinking was virtually impossible for me to stop because all my friends drink, some more than others, one or two I would say drink alcoholically. For me it was the highlight of the social event, doesn't matter where I go, just drink. Now, however, I cannot envisualise attending an all day social event and drinking because I would b totally legless & ruin it for me & everyone. Im now very, very choosy about the event if it's Friday night down the pub I will usually not go. Smoking, by the way, just went hand in hand with the boozing. I look at them as "the poisons". My biggest gift is waking up sober, without all the hideous nightmare hangovers and all the hell that went with it.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:37 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Carlygirl View Post
Dee. Something you said really struck me. You REALLY wanted to stop drinking. I have felt that I thought that about drinking too, but obviously not really. I am still drinking.

Smoking however, I REALLY wanted to stop. I was ashamed and finding it hard to hide. I read Allen Carrs book and I stopped. 12yrs ago and it's not a problem now.

I think drinking is different from smoking because although it is an addictive substance it is not mind altering. What do others think?
I dunno - my cigarette addiction was never like my alcohol one - I could literally take or leave cigarettes...but I know many people who say the complete opposite.....

I think drinking, even binge drinking, is a lot more socially acceptable than smoking.

It's possible to be a non smoker and still be part of the gang - but the fear is that won't be possible as a non drinker.

I didn't want to be different. I didn't want to have to change - and that reluctance kept me drinking for years longer than I should have, and right to the point of almost no return.

I got my sincere desire to stop drinking, but ti came at a heavy cost.

I think there's easier ways to get to that decision - Allen Carrs How To Stop Drinking book might be a helpful start, carlygirl?

D
Old 08-20-2013, 05:16 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

iam 30 going on 31 I know exactly what you are saying.. I have friends who have stopped the binge drinking or slowed it down but for me I started binge drinking on my own instead.. I use to get told a thousand times its progressive and believe me it really is! everything you hear that you have not done yet is just that yets..