Notices

Fear of flying - valium

Old 08-18-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fear of flying - valium

Okay, 8 weeks sober, after a relapse, with a previous 5 years sober.

I was in a really bad place when I picked up a drink, and booked a holiday with a 4 hour flight on the rationale that I did not care if the plane crashed and I died.

Now I am less than a week away from the flight and starting to lose it. I have not flown for over 9 years, and then never without having a drink to smooth the nerves.

I am worried I will have a melt down when they shut the doors.

Anyone gone to their doctor to ask for medication to help with this?
Old 08-18-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pixy View Post
Many people who do not have substance abuse issues get medication to use when flying. However, I suggest you avoid it if possible. Instead, ask yourself why you're afraid? Flying is very safe, so maybe a hard look at the facts will ease your fears.

How To Overcome Fear Of Flying
Old 08-18-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Pixy

I've not flown much and not had the anxiety - maybe these 9 days are a great time for you to look around at what calming strategies there are online and elsewhere and start to practice them?

D
Old 08-18-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Pixy - if all else fails, there are beta blockers like propranolol. It's up to you, of course, but if you have a drinking problem, you ought to be aware that benzos (Valium, Xanax, Klonopin, etc.) are highly addictive.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Pixy, you're worrying about something you can't control. if you were to decide to cancel the trip then how would you feel about yourself? live safely but don't live to be safe. if you make it to the plane and the doors close and you feel panic, pray. i don't care who you pray to but give your worry and your fear up to a power greater thank yourself and trust it. heck, pray to the pilot and the co-pilot! they're a power greater than yourself at that moment! have trust. you can't live your life never trusting anyone. you don't need to pop a pill to have trust.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pixy View Post

not all

but

a few doctors will prescribe for this condition

but

I wouldn't want to chance one big relapse

Mountainman
Old 08-18-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are alternatives to 'fear of flying' that work very well. This is a good opportunity for you to try to get in touch with your feelings. The fear of flying is about losing control in your life, not about flying at all. You can find videos on Youtube on how to manage fear of flying.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A friend of mine (here in USA) always gets valium from his doctor for when he takes a flight, it doesn't appear to be any hassle, I guess he just asks for it and the doc writes him a scrip for a couple of pills to get him through the flying part.

Figured a straightforward question deserves a straightforward answer.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is such a wonderful place, and thank you for all the replies. I am trudging my way through Allen Carrs' How to enjoy flying at the moment, and having looked at my drs website there are stating they are not initiating any new prescriptions for benzo's now.

I think that I am not in a good place still, and that maybe I am seeking something to take away that feeling of want. I am concerned that I will use alcohol if need be, but its a blessing the flight is so horrendously early, that unless i premeditate and put some in my hand luggage to swill before going through security, I might have to white knuckle it.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My doc won't prescribe me benzos either Rightly so really.

allen carr is excellent
Old 08-19-2013, 02:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just a suggestion, but what about Kalms? They are totally herbal x
Old 08-19-2013, 04:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Got a telephone appointment with a gp in our surgery (never met him), and he was very kind and has prescribed valium and beta blockers. Came off the phone very relieved, but thinking like an addict, wow, that was easy!
Old 08-19-2013, 04:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I had a prescription for Valium from my Dr. that I let expire since I rarely used it. I probably have 100 pills left and I wouldn't hesitate to take one if I had your flying anxiety. I'm careful with the Valium and probably take 4 pills per year. At my current rate of consumption that's a 25 year supply. Alcohol is my problem.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Pixy, Congratulations on 8 weeks sober, that's great. I hope you feel better and have a great holiday.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Pixy,

I know this was years ago but how did this work out? I am in a similar dilema. 19 months sober but terrified to fly and also terrified to take anxiety meds.

Thanks
Old 10-25-2016, 02:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know Pixy still looks in from time to time so hopefully she'll see your post French

D
Old 10-25-2016, 04:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
EndGame

Okay. I'm confused. You were in "a really bad place" when you booked the flight. I can't tell if things have gotten worse, but it sounds like things have not gotten much better.

Now you're talking about taking benzos in order to survive your flight, and a level of distrust around whether or not you'll drink, either on your flight or at your destination. Suggesting that you'd have to premeditate to get liquor and put it in your carry-on is, in fact, an act of premeditation. You've already described the process, and now all that needs doing is to execute it.

Honestly, taking a flight (alone?) after only eight weeks of sobriety following five years of sobriety that you interrupted with a relapse doesn't seem like a good plan to me, especially given your current emotional state.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

The original post in this thread is from 2013.

D
Old 10-25-2016, 04:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
EndGame

Oh. Never mind.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
EndGame

I hate when that happens.