Notices

Terrible withdrawal that freaked me out

Old 08-20-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

James872. You inquired: "Btw, with fully recovered I meant how long it would approximately take for my mind and body to regain normal functioning, realizing that there may be a life long addiction that stays. But all other functions, like thinking and feeling like normal again. Do you have any idea how long that usually takes?"
My answer is that I don't really know. I suspect that it depends on the person and the drinking pattern. I was a binge drinker and it usually took me about five days to feel quite normal again. Persons who are so called maintenance drinkers and who have consistently imbibed large quantities over an extended period might take longer. This is pure speculation on my part. Possibly your doctor could some up with a ballpark guess.
As to medical practice in former days, perhaps one reason for what they did was the dim prognosis. Many, perhaps most, doctors thought that such a small percentage of patients achieved sobriety that it was just not worth attempting to treat an alcoholic. So they gave them a pep talk and some pills and that was that. I wonder how many died as a result of the pills and the booze. AA was a whole new approach. Despite its controversial features it did demonstrate that there was hope for some people. I've witnessed many recoveries and some have been impressive indeed. Unforgettable actually.

W.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:01 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

How are you doing James?
Old 08-21-2013, 04:35 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kat60 View Post
How are you doing James?
Thanks for asking Kat. I'm doing pretty well. The physical withdrawal seems to be past its worst. I have two more tablets of diazepam and then I can finally quit those. They were needed off-course but they make me feel pretty tired all the time.

Mentally I'm doing better than expected but not as good as I'd like to. Years ago, drinking became my escape from reality. My inability to deal with reality is still there. It's not as bad as it used to be but bad enough that I need a solution. So for that I am planning to see my doctor next week so that I can get good help for that.

But looking back, this week really was heavy but now that the risky part of the withdrawal is over, I feel a lot better about the rest of the process.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:40 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

So good to hear James!!!
I am glad you are continuing to seek the answers and help that you (we all!) so richly deserve!!!

You can do this! One step at a time! You are stepping in all the right directions! Keep up the good work and keep reaching for the support that will get you over the next rough spot!

Good job!
Old 08-21-2013, 04:48 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hi James,

Sounds like you have a good grasp of your situation. The detoxing process and just simply stopping the alcohol intake is a huge part of getting sober - but really it's just the tip of the iceberg. Recognizing that you have a long road ahead shows some maturity and a good understanding of your situation.

You handled the withdrawl situation really well, I hope the continued journey goes well also.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:54 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

James872: You mention "handling reality". That has a lot to do with recovery. Getting used to dealing with reality rather than "avoiding" it by self medication. As you know, the idea that reality is "avoided" in this way is an illusion, since it always gets worse, whether it's loss of a job, family or a jail cell. The ostrich has its head in the sand but it ends up by getting kicked in the butt.
Whether or not you accept all the AA ideas, there are numerous aspects which I have found essential in dealing with reality, like doing one thing at a time, going with the flow, not trying to change stuff which can't be changed, taking it easy, trying to relax a bit, set reasonable goals, focus on honesty with oneself and one's fellows. These are not new ideas. The Buddhists perceived their value centuries ago, such as in the Tao admonition that by trying to do everything nothing gets done, a 5th Cent. B.C. insight on attention deficit syndrome.
Good luck and watch out for the Addictive Voice, suggesting that "Just one won't make a difference!"

W.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

It really is an illusion that reality is something that can be avoided. When drunk I just didn't care anymore about it, until I sobered up. Then I needed to get drunk again and all was ok until I got sober again. It's a continuous cycle and it solves nothing.

I'm not an expert, the therapist will need to see what's going on, but I think I have PTSD. I was fine, something terrible happened and handling reality became hard. Alcohol came along and now I'm many years further. Now that I don't drink anymore, the PTSD symptoms are coming back.

Before the bad thing, I was fine. No problems in life. No real problems that is. I wish I had gone to a therapist back then. Well, the past is the past. I can do it still. I read that the psychological problems stemming from a traumatic event can be treated pretty well nowadays.

No more alcohol. Not even one. I know it's a trap. It might be challenging at times, but I'll just get more help if needed.

Btw, I understand there's an AA book? Is it freely available? I might go to meetings, but some self-study can't hurt I guess.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

The AA book, known as the "Big Book" is merely titled "Alcoholics Anonymous" and is freely available at stores, on the internet, etc. Your local AA information center can direct you. Google Alcoholics Anonymous for a list of meeting sites in your area. Often, particularly in large, metropolitan areas, there is a wide diversity of meetings. You can go to a so called "open" meeting and you need not say a thing. Check it out and see if you like it. If not try some other method of networking with recovering alcoholics. You will find this a big morale booster- find friends, etc. Get rid of loneliness.

W.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I found the book on the official AA website. I'll go trough it in the coming days. There are AA meetings available here as well. I might attend one soon. It would be good to meet other people with the same problem.