Notices

Terrible withdrawal that freaked me out

Old 08-18-2013, 05:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Terrible withdrawal that freaked me out

Hi all,

Yesterday, day 3 sober, I posted my intro thread. At the moment I wrote it, the withdrawal hadn't been that bad.

A few hours after that, which was in the early evening over here, I suddenly started to get really cold. I started to sweat profusely as well. There also was a lot of nausea and stomach pain and just feeling really sick.

I went to bed right away because I couldn't handle it. At first when I lay down, my heart was racing. That went away pretty quickly fortunately.

The 4-5 hours after that were terrible. I was sweating so much, I couldn't believe it. Couldn't sleep. Stomach felt terrible.

What scared me the most was that I decided to get some water because I was afraid I would get dehydrated. I had trouble getting up. And in the bathroom I felt like I was about to pass out. So I rushed back to bed, where the heavy symptoms continued.

Eventually some time during the night it got less bad. I got some good sleep and I feel better now. I sure hope this doesn't happen again!

Should I be worried? Or is this normal? It happened on day 3 and very suddenly and I always thought the worst happens right in the beginning.

My sweat also smelled very weird. Not like alcohol but there was something being expelled. Was this just my body having an intense and long period to get the toxins out?

I'm still freaked out about it and am afraid to leave the house in case it happens again.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi. See your doctor or go to the ER ASAP.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

sorry you are going through this James. It's pretty scary. I am with IOAA2, I would seek medical attention. You could be past the worst of it or not. Seizures can happen in withdrawal and there are medications you can take that can help with your symptoms. Please keep us posted.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No half measures

Not a dr but I have experienced alcohol withdrawal very similar to what you're talking about. I would get to an ER now! Alcohol withdrawal can be fatal. At the very least have someone around that can call an ambulance if needed. You are messing with some very very dangerous stuff
Old 08-18-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've gradually started to feel better today. Still feeling a bit cold and am still sweating a bit. And my eyes hurt.

I did get to the point of feeling good enough to go outside. There was no dizziness or feeling like I would pass out anymore. My appetite returned as well so I had a good meal.

I've been thinking about what to do and decided on the following. I literally live across from the hospital. From my front door to the entrance of the hospital is a one minute walk. So if I need medical help, even if I can't get there myself, they'll be here almost instantly. That's quick enough for me to feel safe.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What happens if you have a seizure, stroke or heart attack? Who calls the hospital?

W.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

wpainterw, that's a good point.

I'll go and walk over there right now. I'm beginning to feel worse again anyway.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow, that's close to a hospital! I had very bad withdrawal, mine started about 12 hours in and by five days were over. I shook like a leaf...could not hold a glass of water in my hand.
The thing that continued was breaking out in cold sweats, which I hated beyond all reason. At night one benedryl was helpful. Sage has long been used to help sweating. Look online to find some if you need it. Finally, I found valerian to be so helpful with anxiety, sweating, sleeping. I found it in a liquid dropper form at health food store. But it tastes disgusting, so if you can find capsules, try them. Good luck!

While I was writing you posted that you were going to the hospital. Take care...it will be okay.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad you are going to the ER !!!!
Let us know how you are !!!!
Old 08-18-2013, 01:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thinking of you james - so glad you are seeking help. It sounds like what I went through & I was playing with fire not getting medical help. Glad you posted about what was going on.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am glad you decided to go, please let us know how it goes.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi James, day 3 was my worst one. Day 4 was an improvement. Not necessarily the same for everyone. Keep going. You are on a good road. It will definitely get better.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wishing you well James.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

How'd it go James?
Old 08-18-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Thinking of you James and waiting to hear how it went. You did a good thing today!
Old 08-18-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Gad you decided to go - let us know how you got on

D
Old 08-18-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hope you feel better.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

How are you doing James! Did you go to the ER? Check in when you can!
Old 08-18-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

glad you decided to go, James. i know exactly what you're going through because i've been through those symptoms before many times. i've had a couple of seizures while having those severe withdrawal symptoms. let us know how it all goes when you can. rooting for you.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yes, James. I'm rooting for you too! You have my every good wish. This could be the start of something very wonderful for you if you give yourself a chance. Get yourself with some kind of a program. Get continuing help. Get yourself free from this slavery. Be kind to yourself and get well.

W.