Notices

Doing something you could never do before

Old 08-16-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Doing something you could never do before

Just a light hearted thread for Friday night

I've always wanted to see the Northern Lights.I live in deepest, darkest, remote Scotland and tonight there is a Northern Lights alert - When the levels of solar activity are so active there's a strong chance of seeing them. So at 10pm I got dressed into warm clothing,got my camera and off I went

Didn't see anything as too much cloud cover but it got me thinking. When I was drinking there is no way I could have gone out or even wanted to leave the house so late(and leave my wine ) I couldn't (or shouldn't) have driven. Would probably have been crashed out by 10pm anyway,especiallyon a Friday night.

Now I have the freedom to just go out. Getting sober has given me a freedom I never knew I was missing. People talk about freedom to go to the pub or have a drink.It's the opposite really -not drinking gives you real freedom.

The more I think about it the more things there are that I can do now that I couldn't or wouldn't have ever done before. How about you?
Old 08-16-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Post is spot on. The freedom is definitely not drinking. On Sunday I have football in morning and would literally start drinking from end of game until bed. This Sunday I'm going surfing after football. Never would have done that before!
Old 08-16-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Pete. Every day without a hangover is great but saturdays and sundays are somehow even more special don't you think. I hope I always feel like this
Old 08-16-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ya they have a very different feel. Not sure why though as I work Saturdays! Sunday is my day off in the week and my oh my does it feel amazing now! Went for a 10 mile run today I felt so good when I woke up!
Old 08-16-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Driving at night without worrying about cops.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Seeing the Northern Lights is on my list.

Good post!
Old 08-16-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Adhering to healthy habits was something I always wanted to do but never could manage while I was drinking. Sober, I watch what I eat, I train with weights five days a week, and I run (lingering foot injuries permitting). Feels good. I feel like I'm in control.

Feels weird.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nice post.

Definitely a lot of things that are open to me that weren't before.

It's early for me still, so sometimes it's the small things I appreciate that I couldn't do before: eating healthy, not getting extreme anxiety when my phone rings, having dreams again at night, being able to speed a little and not worry about anything other than a speeding ticket. Being able to remember things and do simple math again.

But there are other things that are open to me now too, like going on an airplane to a city I don't know and not worrying about not having weed with me, I never would have considered even going before due to that, but now the whole world is open.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Tonight I spent about 5 hours at the bookstore after my meeting. Decided to finally tackle Ulysses... I could never finish it because I'd start drinking. I think I'm going to start reading books again. :-) so awesome what we can do with our minds clear and focused.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
LDT

Being the designated driver
Old 08-16-2013, 07:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ditto! I feel more free now than I ever had while drinking. I, too, would have just sat in the house and drank myself into a stupor and been in bed by 9 pm. Tonight I went fishing with my boyfriend and we caught 34 crappie! First time fishing sober in 13 years. Then we went out for an excellent catfish dinner (something else I never did while drinking--going out for dinner). I FEEL SO ALIVE AND HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-16-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Mine is pretty simple: READ A BOOK! During my dark days I would never dream of opening a book when I went to bed, I'd just immediately pass out.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sombrero: Same here! I just started reading again too. It's so comfy curling up in bed with a good book!
Old 08-16-2013, 08:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

sold my motorcycle about 12 years before i got sober. drivin on 2 wheels drunk was getting dangerous and i chose drinkin over riding.
got a bike 2 years into recovery. scared the crap out me getting on it. in about 15 minutes i was experiencing serenity and peace i never experienced before on a bike.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My attention span is improving. My concentration is WAY better! I feel capable and competent again... that's an amazing feeling after having your self-efficacy eroded by addiction. I'm able to hold many thoughts together and not feel overwhelmed or stressed. I'm better able to work through problems, and take multiple steps to reach a goal. This was SO frustrating for me while drinking, beating my brains out over things that shouldn't have been so hard... I'm a thinker naturally, and just didn't realize how bad the alcohol was messing things up for me cognitively.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It's true there are more options now. The other day, I had lunch with a friend, worked in the studio and got four pieces ready to go, wrote a story, and went to a show. Before, I would have made the to-do list, gotten drunk at lunch, and made excuses for not working. I would have continued all day and bailed on the show or showed up drunk and not enjoyed it. That is, unless I had been hungover, in which case, I would have bailed on my friend, and additionally not worked. Now I can freely make my to-do list and choose my options, knowing I have reserves of energy to do as much as I want.
I now make art whenever I feel like it, instead of just keeping a pile of procrastinated ideas accumulating around me
Old 08-16-2013, 09:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I just want to get back to driving. I gave up as I was getting panic attacks - didn't realise at the time, it was due to withdrawals
Old 08-16-2013, 10:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
Driving at night without worrying about cops.
so true DB,thanks for your response. When I first got sober it felt weird driving in the dark as I'd not done it for so long. it's also nice to drive first thing and not worry about still being over the limit
Old 08-16-2013, 10:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

NMRN- being in control is a really good way of looking at it.I'd never thought of it like that before,thank you

Olive-apparently this year is a great year for seeing them due to high levels of geomagnetic activity or something

DG- you sound positive and getting sober has opened up loads of new avenues for you

LoneJ- I love reading too. I know what you mean Bigsombrero - It's nice to be able to remember the previous chapter the next morning

Eleni-hope you're feeling good now you're a few weeks into sobriety

Plenny-great to hear your work is improving and your creativity has returned
Old 08-16-2013, 10:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZoeM View Post
I just want to get back to driving. I gave up as I was getting panic attacks - didn't realise at the time, it was due to withdrawals
So many driving posts -it's great to see so many positive responses

Thanks Zoe, the stronger you get in your sobriety hopefully the panic attacks have eased for you.

LDT- I love being the designated driver too- I'm the only one who ever offers

tom-hopeyou're enjoying riding you bike again