Notices

Doing something you could never do before

Old 08-16-2013, 10:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
My attention span is improving. My concentration is WAY better! I feel capable and competent again... that's an amazing feeling after having your self-efficacy eroded by addiction. I'm able to hold many thoughts together and not feel overwhelmed or stressed. I'm better able to work through problems, and take multiple steps to reach a goal. This was SO frustrating for me while drinking, beating my brains out over things that shouldn't have been so hard... I'm a thinker naturally, and just didn't realize how bad the alcohol was messing things up for me cognitively.
Right with ya on that one Jen! Loved your post Readyatlast. I went to the waterslides last week and had a blast! I make plans for my time off now which is pretty novel. When I was drinking, my plan usually didn't consist of more than picking up wine and settling in at home to get drunk and pass out.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:53 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
My attention span is improving. My concentration is WAY better! I feel capable and competent again... that's an amazing feeling after having your self-efficacy eroded by addiction. I'm able to hold many thoughts together and not feel overwhelmed or stressed. I'm better able to work through problems, and take multiple steps to reach a goal. This was SO frustrating for me while drinking, beating my brains out over things that shouldn't have been so hard... I'm a thinker naturally, and just didn't realize how bad the alcohol was messing things up for me cognitively.
Thanks for this Jennie,it's interesting to read. I also don't get as overwhelmed or frustrated now from changing my mindset and readingabout positive thinking and the power of thoughts. However, my mind just doesn't feel as anywhere near as sharp as it once was, my concentration is very limited and my memory really poor.I don't know if it's just getting older and a normal thing to happen or if drink really has done irreparable damage to my brain
Old 08-16-2013, 11:24 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LDT View Post
Being the designated driver
I did this last night after 3 hours in the pub watching mates drink.
Driving at the end of the night was one of the things I wanted to do but couldn't, like not getting smashed!
Old 08-16-2013, 11:46 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Waterslides are great Nuudawn I took my son to an outdoor play centre a few weeks ago and went on a really longoutdoor slide,almost like ahelter skelter-it was brilliant.If I'd still been drinking doubt I would have even gone to the play centre inthe first place
Old 08-16-2013, 11:48 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Will69 View Post
Driving at the end of the night was one of the things I wanted to do but couldn't, like not getting smashed!
good on ya. I almost want to get pulled over sometimes so I can say "I don't drink officer"
Old 08-16-2013, 11:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Being able to look at my bank account and remember all the weekends purchases.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Will69 View Post

Yeah! I drove some friends all over town a couple of weeks ago and we had a blast. No drinks for me and I didn't miss it! That incident felt like a bit of an eclipse though: not drinking AND staying out all night with my friends WITHOUT having anxiety or feeling like running away. But I'm hoping nights like that will become more frequent.
Good thread y'all
Old 08-17-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

That I can drive at night too.

That I don't end up buying more booze, when getting my daily quota, in case I run out and cannot drive to the shop for more. I just don't buy booze full stop.

That there can be unopened bottles of wine in the fridge and I have no desire to drink them. There is a bottle of champagne that I won too. In the past I would have ended up drinking that, not on any special occasion, but on some random evening when I had run out of drink.

That I can do some things just as well as I could when I was drinking. I do not need to tackle the ironing aided by a bottle of wine. I don't need to have a drink in order to conduct a friendly conversation on the phone with a friend. In no way does wine make the job of doing expenses any less tedious.

Still not good at dancing though without a drink...................x
Old 08-18-2013, 04:37 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks Sasha
Good to see you sounding more positive. I hope you had a good day and are treating yourself with kindness