Notices

Help with letter to employer?

Old 08-16-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
StillStandingWV

Help with letter to employer?

Hello all,

I am seeking any and all advice to write a letter to an employer about my recovery and sobriety to retain my employment. Actually, my letter will be to a state board to keep my professional license. I was convicted for 3rd offense DUI, for which I'm currently serving home confinement....I am able to work, attend AA meetings daily, and have been sober 4 months. Thoughts?
Old 08-16-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Personally, I would seek the services of a lawyer and only use a personal letter as an addition if they advise to do so. You have to be very careful about the information and language at you use in your letter in order to avoid punitive action, even long term. It is very easy to give more information than you need to, which can work against what you ae trying to do.
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello. I think the letter should tell of your recovery up until this point. What you are doing for your recovery, and somewhere within that letter let the board know that this is not only to save your license. This is for your life.
If they have stipulations and requirements then you can meet them. Tell them that you will meet whatever they place before you.
Welcome to SR! I am glad that you found us. I hope it all works out for you. This may be a blessing in disguise.

I didnt think about what Mangoes said. This makes sense.
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome!!

be honest.
have no expectations of what the reply will be. i suggest that for a reason:
4 months is awesome, but i don't know too many people that would trust someone with 4months, especially being under home confinement.
i say that for a reason:
i have a friend that did 12 years in prison. it was alcohol that led him there. when he got out, he came to a meeting and said he was a newcomer, even though he had been goin to meetings in prison and working the program( and it is possible to get drunk in prison,although he passed on them opportunities). why did he say he was a newcomer?
his words were to the effect,"staying sober in prison isn't that hard. im out in the real world now and this is where the rubber meets the road."

trust is earned through actions.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was in a similar predicament. I had my Doctor write me a letter to hand in to my employer that simply stated that I was taking time off work to treat a Medical Condition. Then I went to treatment for my alcoholism. The letter stated dates for my treatment. I was not paid during that period. I think my Doctors Note was $100. Maybe $200. But an employer can not refuse your treatment of a Disease. Some employers actually pay for it. I chose to pay myself. I already felt guilty enough that I had to leave work for 5 weeks.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
StillStandingWV

Thanks to all of you for your input. I should have added that I must report the DUI on my application for renewal of my professional license. I have been in this profession for 10 years and have never had a complaint of any kind regarding my appearance, behavior, ethics, etc. I was more of a weekend binge kinda guy. Happy to be sober and thanks again.