Notices

Phobias

Old 08-15-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Phobias

Hi guys, I've been gone for a bit but I'm back.

So I've always been scared of flying. Even before I took a drink. When i have had to travel by plane, when I was a kid I white-knuckled it, but it was torture. When i was older, one idiot doctor gave me BuSpar (which doesn't help unless it's been in your system 6 weeks). I've tried Xanax, it doesn't work for me. The only thing I have tried that can reduce my anxiety reliably is drinking. But I love to travel. If giving up drinking means giving up traveling, I don't know if I can do it. Has anyone else had this issue?
Old 08-15-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are other ways to approach phobias besides drinking or otherwise medicating yourself tho?

have you tried counselling at all, Malachi? Therapy?
Old 08-15-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Giving up drinking doesn't have to mean giving up travelling, you just must learn to deal with flying without drinking. Is counseling an option to work thru your fear of flying? I see a counselor and she's very helpful to me in working thru my issues.

I hope you can get thru this sober.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
EndGame

Hmm...

I needed to either put on hold or stop doing things related to alcohol when I first got sober. Once sober, I either no longer missed doing these things, or enjoyed doing them that much more while sober.

It's often said that anything we place ahead of our sobriety is something that we'll ultimately lose. Including our sobriety.

Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
Hi guys, I've been gone for a bit but I'm back.

So I've always been scared of flying. Even before I took a drink. When i have had to travel by plane, when I was a kid I white-knuckled it, but it was torture. When i was older, one idiot doctor gave me BuSpar (which doesn't help unless it's been in your system 6 weeks). I've tried Xanax, it doesn't work for me. The only thing I have tried that can reduce my anxiety reliably is drinking. But I love to travel. If giving up drinking means giving up traveling, I don't know if I can do it. Has anyone else had this issue?
Old 08-16-2013, 11:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you guys so much! You really gave me some good advice.