Notices

2nd night and starting to lose it already!

Old 08-14-2013, 09:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2nd night and starting to lose it already!

My brain hurts and won't slow down. I was all gung ho about going cold turkey when I started yesterday, but now I'm starting to think/realize that perhaps it was easier to feel so sure about wanting to quit whilst in the midst of a major hangover. But now the hangover is gone and my thoughts are all over the place.

Some of the random thoughts/self arguments being kicked around...

Am I making a mistake going cold turkey? (as they say, it's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the bottom).

If I'm going to be disciplined enough to quit, why could i not also be disciplined enough to stick to a tappering off program? Going to the extreme of measuring out my 'doses' and decreasing them over the next week or two? Wouldn't that ease the fall? (i know that sounds like 99% rationalizing, but it's also a serious question). Has anyone tried or had any success with something like that?

I can't wrap my head around how much I depended on that mindless nightly routine...buy the bottle, grab something quick to eat - as anything more was limiting the time I had left to drink...change...fill the ice bucket...bring the supplies to the comfy chair...flip on the tube...fade to black.

Now I can't seem to relax or focus at all. Got just about no sleep last night and not exactly feeling like tonight's gonna go any differently. How the hell do you quiet your minds?!

Sorry to ramble. I'm just tired and confused - but trying to focus on the fact that I know this craziness can't last (if it does, my head will explode). Just wishing I could make it go away sooner/easier.

Hasta,
DTM
Old 08-14-2013, 10:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

DTM, I almost felt manic with my thoughts when I first quit. Mine were a little different, I thought I needed to fix everything I had screwed up and my mind just raced. I did not sleep hardly at all for the first 5 days. To be honest, I am on day 25 (I think) and still do not sleep much but the racing thoughts have stopped. All I can tell you is to hang in there, it does get better.

I have always gone cold turkey, never tried tapering. I do know most people are not successful with tapering because, as alcoholics, we always want more.

Hang in there and keep posting! Good luck.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think that's when a lot of us decide to quit (in the midst of a hangover) ... Easier to make that decision when you're of full guilt, remorse, disappointment etc...but then you start to feel better and bam! the urge rears its ugly head...that's why my drinking routine was always one day on, one day off. My mind too is all over the place...starting day three and this is where I usually flunk it...but I'm just trying to ride the urges, keep busy and when I can't focus I come on here...and keep in mind how nice it is to wake up with no hangover, anxiety etc, but with the sense of pride that you did it for another day. The way I see it, I spent so long being drunk, blacking out and feeling sick and tired, why not give myself time to experience a different way...the drink will still be there at the liquor store in a day, a year, forever....it's not going anywhere so I can choose that life again if I want to at anytime...but my hope is that the more I experience sobriety the more I won't want to return to the old routine.

I haven't tried a specific tapering program, have tried to moderate many times, with it just leading back to same old pattern eventually. Like lulu said, we want more.

Keep going, it's gotta be worth it, anythings better than that fading to black each night hey.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by drinkstoomuch View Post
My brain hurts and won't slow down. I was all gung ho about going cold turkey when I started yesterday, but now I'm starting to think/realize that perhaps it was easier to feel so sure about wanting to quit whilst in the midst of a major hangover. But now the hangover is gone and my thoughts are all over the place.

Some of the random thoughts/self arguments being kicked around...

Am I making a mistake going cold turkey? (as they say, it's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the bottom).

If I'm going to be disciplined enough to quit, why could i not also be disciplined enough to stick to a tappering off program? Going to the extreme of measuring out my 'doses' and decreasing them over the next week or two? Wouldn't that ease the fall? (i know that sounds like 99% rationalizing, but it's also a serious question). Has anyone tried or had any success with something like that?

I can't wrap my head around how much I depended on that mindless nightly routine...buy the bottle, grab something quick to eat - as anything more was limiting the time I had left to drink...change...fill the ice bucket...bring the supplies to the comfy chair...flip on the tube...fade to black.

Now I can't seem to relax or focus at all. Got just about no sleep last night and not exactly feeling like tonight's gonna go any differently. How the hell do you quiet your minds?!

Sorry to ramble. I'm just tired and confused - but trying to focus on the fact that I know this craziness can't last (if it does, my head will explode). Just wishing I could make it go away sooner/easier.

Hasta,
DTM
withdrawal sucks - no matter what you do.

The safest way is to see a Dr....but if you feel thats not an option, for whatever reason, you're gonna have to grit it out I think.

Most people find after day 3 or so, it usually gets better

Personally, I wouldn't buy drink to try tapering, that's just your addiction playing with you....you'd be better off putting that money to seeing someone IMO

D