Notices

Just a thought I had today ..

Old 08-14-2013, 10:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just a thought I had today ..

I work at a liquor store. And I've always noticed this but today I thought more about it but the alcoholics who are drinking and come in everyday to buy their drink feel embarrassed. They feel ashamed that they can't stop drinking, and you can just see it in their faces. So then why should we feel bad that we no longer drink and do not? We should be extremely proud of ourselves for not having to drink anymore. This may seem like a simple thought but the way I saw a few customers today made me more happy to say that I don't drink.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's so funny. I am a bartender and was noticing recently (I've got 32 days sober) how people feel the need to justify to me their drinking. Friends, people at the bar having "just one more", people I just met who I mention I don't drink to. I always say to them I'm not there to take their inventory but I notice its always the problem drinkers that justify it. If I had noticed that in myself sooner, maybe I would've gotten myself into the rooms sooner.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dustyboots View Post
That's so funny. I am a bartender and was noticing recently (I've got 32 days sober) how people feel the need to justify to me their drinking. Friends, people at the bar having "just one more", people I just met who I mention I don't drink to. I always say to them I'm not there to take their inventory but I notice its always the problem drinkers that justify it. If I had noticed that in myself sooner, maybe I would've gotten myself into the rooms sooner.
Exactly. One guy has been in everyday this week and he's my age (26) to buy a 750ml of whiskey .. And today he says "today was a tough day man, I have to have a drink." And in my mind I kno whats really going on but it's hard to comment when I'm working or offer any help although I'd like to. So I just replied "yea, you'll be ok." Inside, I'm just thankful that I was able to find sobriety.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know I was once there too. It's just nice to be free from the shackles!