Notices

Panic Attacks

Old 08-14-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Panic Attacks

So day 9 went really well I thought, but apparently EVERYONE I know thought I was being an incredible jerk. Guess I didn't see it.

Now here I am on day 10, and it didn't start the way I would have liked it to. 1st thing today when I got to work it just felt like my world was collapsing.... no triggers, no warning, nothing..... I just all of the sudden felt overwhelmed. My heart started to race and I just wanted to run out of the office screaming. I locked my office door and just sat there freaking out, best way I could explain it would be a panic attack for no reason. I could not even figure out why I was in a panic.

Not affecting my recovery, but that is the most scared I have been since I stopped believing in the boogieman.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Hi Whydid -

I'm on day 10 as well. And I am feeling completely overwhelmed. NO reason, no trigger, just total feeling of frustration and devastation.

I'm chalking it up to my brain rewiring. Misfiring as it reconnects synapses that haven't seen a sober breath for decades.

Be well and fight the good fight.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Are you keeping your sugar levels up? Need to replace all the sugar in the booze for a while x
Old 08-14-2013, 10:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've had what you experienced in the past. I do have anxiety some and I also stay "keyed" up quiet a lot. Almost claustrophobic. But I've learned how to deal with that too. I KNOW I'm going to be alright, slow deep breathes, kinda like dealing with the AV. Got a lot better over time.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZoeM View Post
Are you keeping your sugar levels up? Need to replace all the sugar in the booze for a while x
I don't measure sugar levels, I started eating healthy and replaced booze with fruits and vegetables. I would assume the natural sugars I am getting would offset, but maybe I am wrong.

It was just strange since I have never in my life experienced anything like that before. To feel sheer terror without a reason doesn't make sense to me. Funny thing though as fast as it came on, it went away and I feel fine other than being freaked out it might happen again. Scared it might happen at home when I'm around my kids, that would be fun for my wife to explain to them..... Daddys no longer a drunk, now he's just crazy and freaks out for no reason....
Old 08-14-2013, 12:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I used to have a lot of panic attacks when I was drinking. Knowing what it is though is half the battle. I freaked out for months because I had no idea what was happening to me. I think diet does play a part because I was prone to panic attacks when my blood sugar dropped, but the fruit ought to sort that. I reckon though that because it is still early days this might just be a fall out from the booze, but if they do continue there are a lot of CBT techniques that can help x