Notices

Serial relapses looking for a way out

Old 08-12-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Serial relapses looking for a way out

Hi everyone, I have been in the programme for nearly six months but struggle to stay sober. The most I have going is 26 days. The last two weeks I have got drunk 3 times over things outside my control. I have 5 days now but I'm struggling to sleep, struggling to wake up and have night sweats. I have so much that I need to do but no motivation. I could procrastinate as an Olympic sport! I really want to get better but it's taking so long and I can't keep focused. Any help or words of wisdom would be really appreciated!:
Old 08-12-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well being honest is a good start.
You will have to see your Dr about the sweats and the sleep issue. Generally Dr's are understanding and will help you out.
I wish all the best in your Detox. Its a rough road but the payoff is amazing.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When you say you have been in the program, do you mean AA? If so, have you gotten a sponsor yet? A sponsor is really what makes it work early on. There is a lot of work to do down the road, but having someone to call when you are upset or about to drink is priceless. Don't feel bad about having trouble quitting - just chalk it up to being more "field research" supporting the case that you are an alcoholic. We can rarely do this on our own. Left to my own devices I would drink again. It's our default mode... The program works, but only if we work it the way it's designed - we can't use some and leave the uncomfortable bits, because those are often what keep us resorting to drink...
Old 08-12-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Violet,

Welcome to SR.
I find these forums help me out as I have folks to talk to that are going through,and have gone through withdrawal and sobriety.
The night sweats and insomnia should subside soon.It took me 3 nights each time that I quit.It's different for everybody.

My issue is that when I'm feeling really good after a few weeks I think I can"manage" my drinking.So I start to binge drink.
I went 14 months back in 07,that was great and wish I would have stayed on the right path of sobriety.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In AA, we suggest a lot of meetings, getting a sponsor, working the 12 steps, getting involved in service work, etc., etc.. Just showing up will not work.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your help. I am in AA, I attend between four and six meetings a week, I read the big book every day, do service making tea and share finding at my home group, listen to pod casts, have a sponser and I'm on step eight *sigh*, I'm working like my life depends on it - which I know it does! I've just gone back to work and I'm exhausted and have no motivation, it seems such a chore somedays. I guess I just need to stick at it!!
Old 08-12-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the site! I'm glad you found us.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Day tripper

VM, how about calling your sponsor or other women from the program before you pick up that drink? It's been working well for me.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

We all get tired and stretched thin sometimes - hang in there and just take it a day at a time. Today may be hard, but all you have to do is roll into the bed tonight sober, and you win. In the long term you may need to get some better sleep and/or adjust your diet and exercise regimen. Are you familiar with HALT? We are to try our best not to get:

Hungry
Angry
Lonely
Tired

Anytime we are one or more of these things, the door for cravings can open more easily. I know it's tough to do, but try to evaluate if this is where you are... If hungry, eat some healthy food, or if craving a drink pound some carbs and/or sweets...if angry, remove yourself from the conflict and call your sponsor, chances are whatever is making you angry is somehow threatening you in some way - fear is at the root of anger. If lonely, go to a meeting or call a friend, if tired, take a nice nap, or go to bed a little early. If spirituly inclined, some meditation or prayer would really help too. Also, feel free to wear out the serenity prayer Hang in there - we are used to running from discomfort, boredom and stress - just let it happen - don't drink today and start over in the AM with a clean slate!
Old 08-12-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I initially did what you are doing.

Look VERY carefully at each instance where you drank. There are lots of things outside our control (in fact most things). WHY did you decide to drink over it? What will you do (differently) next the time when the situation comes up?

Regarding the steps. A little more focus on step one might be in order. All the best to you.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Working the steps in AA has worked for me....it's led to me enjoying life sober. And when I enjoy life sober there's no need to drink again.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VioletMae View Post
have a sponser and I'm on step eight *sigh*
hon, yer on the wrong step. ya should be on step one. they are numbered and in a numerical order for a reason.

theres a yellow pamphlet titled "a guide to the 12 steps of AA." the 1st sentence on the 1st step:
without the first step, there is no chance of recovery.