Notices

Scared to grow

Old 08-12-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Awwww...what a wonderful post to read this afternoon. So very, very happy for you!!!
Old 08-12-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Friend-

Sounds like you're doing just fine. Just focus on maximizing this day and this day only.

One thing I do everyday to boost my confidence and resolve is listen to something spiritual each and every morning when i first wake up. I started out by listening to great is thy faithfulness and have since graduated up to Everlasting God.

Question-

When was the last time you sang, or had someone sing, to your soul? This is just as essential as water in my opinion. For out of the spirit everything, and I mean everything else emanates.

Good Luck and God Bless
Old 08-12-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Anthony de Mello A Rediscovery of Life 2 of 4 - YouTube
Old 08-12-2013, 05:14 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Congratulations Acheleus, day one of teaching like day one of anything, it's the hardest to get through. I taught for twenty five years and I still remember day one very well.

When I was at teachers' college a lecturer told us that every teacher is an actor or a salesman and I think he wasn't far wrong. Be yourself, put the kids first and bring your best preparation to every class and you'll be a good teacher. If you've battled alcoholism already then that's going to make you a better stronger person which is just what your students need.

All the best to you Acheleus.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Acheleus, I have spent my entire adult life teaching English. It sure doesn't pay well (if you don't publish), but it is very, very rewarding. I'm shy at dinner parties or in any group, but put me in front of a classroom, and my true personality shines. I can so relate to the sense of humor thing. So many of my close family members, including my husband, are so hilarious that I tend to sink into the background. But when I teach, I can be funny and passionate and the best version of myself. Good luck on a great career. We can learn a lot from our students (I don't care if that's a cliche).

Congratulations on surviving your first classes!!

p.s. Nuudawn, you are awesome.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:21 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thank you fellow teachers. Yes I am earning a masters in english and hope to grad in May and teach high school or community college. I have a lot of reading for classes and I think being so busy will help me remain sober. When I get complacent I drink. It is odd how different I feel while teaching, and thank you for saying battling alcoholism makes us stronger, I never thought of it that way.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:37 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi. Acheleus.

I've recently come across an interesting statement, that above every blade of grass is an angel crying “Grow! Grow!

Maybe, imagine, visualize your angel who inspires you to grow and unfold your inner potential and bless others with it? Imagine, your angel who guards and encourages you to grow, to challenge, to dare.

You are doing great, I think) Keep it up.

Best wishes to you.