Notices
View Poll Results: Were you ever able to successfully moderate long term?
Yes
6.43%
No
93.57%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Poll on Moderation of Drinking

Old 08-10-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Did a search and can't seem to find a previous poll. I thought that this would be interesting as the question is consistently asked by newcomers. I think it's important for them to hear our stories as to why it did or didn't work but I also think that our poll results will paint an interesting picture.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

It would actually be helpful for those who answer yes to tell us how you were able to do it and maintain it long term. I would assume then that if you were able to maintain moderation that you still use? Also important that those of us who couldn't chime in.

I tried moderation many different times and many different ways. As posted in another thread I did eventually get to the point where I could abstain and only drink on Friday and Saturday. However, what I was doing on those two days made up for the other 5 that I abstained by far.

My only choice was sobriety.

I have yet to see a post from someone who was able to maintain moderation on these boards so please, if you were able, tell us how you were able to do it, how long you have been able to maintain, and be honest.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi there. I'm a compulsive person by nature so my nature wants more and more be it potato chips, ice cream or any FEEL good food or thing. If I as proven don't pick up the first on I won't want any. BE WELL
Old 08-10-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Great idea putting this poll up LadyBlue, thanks. I answered no. I was only able to moderate on isolated occasions and every time I picked up a drink I would have no idea whether or not I'd be able to moderate that time. It was completely random, like Russian roulette.

Even when I did manage to moderate, I felt frustrated and unsatisfied because, really, I still just wanted to get drunk.

The fact that I wasted so much energy on trying to moderate really should have made me accept that I was an alcoholic a lot sooner than I did. Normal drinkers don't have to make a conscious effort to moderate.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Thank you to anyone who participates.

The goal that I was going for was that we all know how often this question crops up. We have all tried to moderate and most have failed. In a thread you can read through all the posts and you'll see all the responses but that little bar grid in the pole sends a powerful message.

I don't think that I've ever seen a post yet that says that someone has been able to moderate and who is continuing to be able to.

If someone is and posts about it I want to absolutely stress that everyone is different and just because that person is able to maintain moderation that may not work for others. I can't tell you how many times I took the advice of someone who said "just do this". I would stand on my head and drink if I thought that would work. All attempts led back to the same place.

I hope that this isn't misconstrued as a way to give ideas. Please, please, please don't use it as such.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I tried moderating several times but would always end up back where I was or worse.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't moderate well with much of anything. A long time ago, I realized that the way to not eat too many chips, was to not have them around. Don't want to overindulge in ice cream, don't buy it. Don't want to overspend, don't window shop, go buy what you wanted and leave.

I don't know why it took me so long to realize, Alcohol for me, is no different.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

I never could moderate, and today I'm 3 years 2 months sober, and I actually prefer it that way.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Anyone can "moderate" for a bit. Massive effort though for an alike. And really its nothing more than a total inability to be honest with yourself.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

People who are able to moderate long term are usually not alcoholics and usually don't post on here. Just sayin'
Old 08-10-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

for me

moderation of drinks

just

never worked out

before long I had an 18 pack of beer in the refrigerator

and

a couple bottles of the hard stuff (just in case) if wanted

so as to achieve that out of my mind sick feeling (and thinking)

MB
Old 08-10-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The concept of moderation is really only an false dream in the minds of alcoholics. Non alcoholics moderate their drinking naturally and don't even call if moderation. To me, even considering moderation is a pretty sure sign that you have a problem, and the solution is usually abstinance.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I totally agree with Eleni

Would love to know who answered yes. Why would someone who could answer yes be on SR ?
Old 08-10-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I tried it. I even joined the Moderation Management forum, bought some books and charted my "progress" on a spreadsheet... lol. Didn't work for me.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
TKS

Nope. Moderation for me was impossible. Going in very often with 'good' intentions to only drink a few, and almost always getting completely wasted on 5x - 10x the amount I planned to start off with
Old 08-10-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

I'm a little confused as to why there is so much discussion about this on SR. This is a community of alcoholics and addicts, clearly moderation hasn't worked for us or we wouldn't have a problem.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
TKS

Originally Posted by nomis View Post
I'm a little confused as to why there is so much discussion about this on SR. This is a community of alcoholics and addicts, clearly moderation hasn't worked for us or we wouldn't have a problem.
I don't think it's unreasonable for the early recoverer to ask these questions. When alcohol has been such a bit part of our lives, the thought of NEVER having another one is confronting, especially for those who truly enjoyed some of the boze they were consuming.

I for one will likely miss the complexity of a well crafted boutique beer for a very long time, strictly for the flavour rather than the effects.

However after a lot of self reflection, particularly over the last year, and from reading identical tales on this forum in the last week, I know that this is a pleasure that I must sacrifice for the greater goal.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think most of us go through wanting to control our drinking, so I'm never surprised to see people trying to moderate.

I can't remember seeing anyone here manage it consistently for a long period of time tho - and over 6 years thats a LOT of people, a pretty good core sample IMO.

D
Old 08-10-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I don't know I I have ever really tried it. I certainly planned it so many times in different ways:

Only drink on special occasions/holidays-guess any day ending in "Y" qualified as a holiday

Only drink one day a week.

Only drink on weekends

Okay maybe only drink thurs-Sunday

At the end....I was struggling to try and only drink AFTER work (not have my fix in the morning).

When I couldn't even manage to do that last one, I knew there would never be any moderation got this gal.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by neferkamichael View Post
I never could moderate, and today I'm 3 years 2 months sober, and I actually prefer it that way.
Fantastic. Congratulations!!!