Notices

Hello

Old 08-08-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

Hello. I am new to this site. I am 29 years old and I have a drinking problem. I have always drank in excess and way to often. Lately I have found myself HAVING to drink every night instead of just wanting to a couple days out of the week or just weekends. I am worried about this but can't seem to stop myself. I thought maybe trying this site may help me.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome; it has helped me, but you do need to be the one that helps yourself. Lot of good info & good people here, Good Luck
Old 08-08-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I need to help myself and this is why I signed up for this. I have had a life of stress and struggle and am unhappy that this is how I have chosen to handle it. I hope that by being able to talk about it freely with other people who know what it's like will help me get over the dangerous patterns I have created. I am a single mother to a 7 year old and I don't want to be this kind of mother and I don't want to end up hurting myself or killing myself all because of drinking.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Gypzy,

Welcome to SR.
Glad you found the site.There's a lot of help here and a lot of folks that will give you advice,tools to help you quit and encouragement.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Very glad you have made that decision; I am only 59 days sober myself, but if it wasn't for this site & people I would surely be a goner now.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! I was a weekend drinker all of my adult life (I am 55 years old now) but became a daily drinker 13 years ago. I quit drinking 2 weeks ago and am feeling fantastic! If I can do it, you can do it! You are in the right place here on SR. Tons of support and encouragement!
Old 08-08-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad to hear

Very glad to hear about your sobriety. I only hope that I can do the same thing with the help I find here. It's embarrassing to talk to family and friends. I don't want them looking at me like that, but here, everyone understands and maybe I can make some new friends that are going down a good path.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I understand the family friends thing; but after last binge in June, there was no avoiding that lol. & I have to say it was liberating.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Does anyone have any advice on how to fight those NEED to drink cravings? Every morning I wake up and say that I will not drink today. Every afternoon I tell myself that I am better than this and don't need it. Then about 5 pm hits and I just get pulled to the liquor store and buying a pint of whiskey. I don't know how to fight this. Anyone have any suggestions...maybe how you did it?
Old 08-08-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For me the first few days I was a wreck; check out my early posts lol But for me sheer will power & keeping occupied.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome and all the best to you on your recovery,it takes work,I learned this the hard way that sobriety does not just occur because we decide to stop drinking or drugging. You have to do the work,in my case that means going to meetings ,having a sponsor and working the steps,doing service work is a big one and talking to other alcoholics and addicts.. The phone feels like it weighs a ton when I need to call someone in recovery for help but ironically it's feather light when I'm calling the drug dealer. This site is awesome and has a lot of good people on it all fighting the same fight.just know,your not alone and we are all here for you if u need us we r just a click away
Old 08-08-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you so much Jett. I think by just having a support system and other people to talk to is going to help me so much. That feeling of being alone in this fight and feeling helpless against my own mind was tearing me apart and making it that much worse. It's a good feeling to know that I am not alone and that recovery is possible. Just since I have joined this site a little while ago, all these responsive have made me feel really good and I'm not lost in my mind constantly telling myself I will not drink tonight...instead I am now thinking about all the things everyone is saying and it's helping ease the anxiety of not drinking today. Thank you all so much
Old 08-08-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gypzy View Post
Does anyone have any advice on how to fight those NEED to drink cravings? Every morning I wake up and say that I will not drink today. Every afternoon I tell myself that I am better than this and don't need it. Then about 5 pm hits and I just get pulled to the liquor store and buying a pint of whiskey. I don't know how to fight this. Anyone have any suggestions...maybe how you did it?
^ This is me.

Congrats on your decision.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah posting helps me allot too. Reading & posting have kept me sober many a day .
Old 08-08-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I found that eating food got rid of my cravings--especially sugary stuff. So when you get that urge at 5:00 or whatever time, eat some food!
Old 08-08-2013, 11:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome. Gypzy! I've read a lot of posts from people who have had success with AVRT. I'm planning to give it a go myself. I've also seen people using the acronym HALT when they get a craving. You're supposed to inventory whether you feel Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired. Could you be hungry around 5 and that's why you find yourself at the liquor store? Seeing a counselor a few times in the beginning just to organize your thoughts and feelings could be helpful as well. There is a ton of support on this site from people in every stage of recovery, so you've hit the jackpot as far as that's concerned! Good luck to you, Gypzy!
Old 08-08-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you Linnie. I think that this will be very helpful. I do know that I get very lonely and start thinking about things in my life and the past (which I desperately try not to), and then I go for the bottle because I don't want to think about it anymore or feel those feelings. I know this is going to take a lot of work and I am ready for it. I think it's time for me to stop covering up my feelings and try to let them out more and deal with them.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have a hard time dealing with my feelings as well. I always joked that I only have two emotions, happy and angry. It's not really funny, though, is it? I'm not great with my emotions, so I started keeping a journal. I can go back and see what my feelings are and my thought processes and sort of reflect on where these things come from on my own. I've been through years of therapy over the course of my lifetime, though. So I sort of know the sorts of things therapists will ask you to get you to realize what's going on in your mind. I do recommend if you still feel raw emotionally in a few weeks to talk to a professional. A good therapist is worth his or her weight in wine
Old 08-08-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Gypzy, welcome. I'm a mother to a 6 year old, not a single mother but my husband is in the Army and is gone A LOT. Been deployed 3 times for a year each. This past deployment I drank my way through to cope. I was a functional drinker, only drank at night after work. I'm only 6 days sober now but I can tell you it has taken me several attempts to get this far. The biggest things for me are staying occupied, making sure to eat healthy and drink plenty of fluids, get lots of rest, don't isolate yourself, call a friend or someone to talk to if you need to. Keep posting and best of luck. Let us know how you do.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Ty for your post buddha and Linnie.
buddha: I am sorry to hear about your husband being gone so much and I know everyone appreciates what he is doing for our country. I def. can understand you drinking your way through it. I have had a lot happen to me in my life and l think that the being lonely part is the hardest...you are left alone with your thoughts and feelings and sometimes you just want to forget them. Thank you for your advice.

Linnie: I def. understand the only two emotions thing. I myself is just like that. I have had a lifetime of holding in my feelings and I don't like people to know when I'm sad or anything. I have had to be so strong all my life for myself and others that I refuse to ask for help or allow people to see me vulnerable. I have been through therapy before when i was younger and for me it didn't do anything. Over the years I have taken stock of my emotions and feelings and read about it all...but for some reason I still struggle with addiction. It's like I can control everything else in my life, but that. It's my own mind that is destroying me...maybe talking to a different therapist may help now that I know more about me. I still just don't like talking face to face with people about my problems. When I'm in front of someone doing that either I can't talk or I just start crying and nothing gets accomplished lol. Ahhhhg!!! Just talking to people on here is helping a little.