Notices

Checking in...new to site

Old 08-03-2013, 07:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking in...new to site

I am new to SR and wanted to say hi! My story started in 1981 when I first went into recovery and stayed sober for 27 years. Had a wonderful life, husband, son, great job...and then about 4 years ago I decided that I could drink again. Of course, as an alcoholic, I can never drink again. So now, 60 days ago, I have hopefully started on my next 27 years of sobriety. Am going to a really wonderful program with my health insurance and attending AA meetings. Back in 1981 I got sober through therapy and groups at my health insurance and never have been involved with AA. it is certainly a wonderful program for some people, just not sure it "speaks" to me. Am thinking about checking out Women in Sobriety. Anyone have experience with that program or any other suggestions?
Old 08-03-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Bubbalove

I'm a guy so no experience of WFS I'm afraid LOL
Others will be along tho

D
Old 08-03-2013, 09:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Bubbalove, I'm a member on the Women for Sobriety message board. There are no f2f meetings in my area but there is some really good support on the forum. There's a chat room too where they have "meetings" on different topics.
I really like the WFS program.

Congrats on 60 days!
Old 08-03-2013, 09:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 08-03-2013, 09:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for info on WIS. Have you purchased any of the materials from their online store?
If yes, which were the most helpful? There is a mtg in my area, but it is only once a week. I hope to go this week and find out more, esp if there is ore than just the one mtg.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome Bubbalove, SR is a great place too........

glad you joined.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, welcome

I used to be active on the WFS forum, but not so much lately, as I spend most of my online time here on SR. But we actually have a weekly WFS face to face on Tuesdays that I try to attend.

I like the program, and the 13 Statements are great. Just get the little program booklet, and maybe a couple of books by Kirkpatrick. I bought Goodbye Hangovers, Hello Life and Turnabout. Also, a booklet called Levels of Recovery with the "New Life" Program... I keep this one on my bedside table. It's pretty much the 13 Statements grouped together that give order or process to recovery. It's very helpful to study them this way. And the program encourages you to meditate 20 min each morning, reading through each statement, and picking one to practice throughout the day.

There is a great thread at WFS that gives links to some of the best articles on there. Can't remember the name of it but it must be a sticky in a Newcomers section.

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 08-03-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks SoberJennie- I will try some of the materials and try to join the Tuesday meeting. Just curious, have you tried AA and how does WIS compare?
Old 08-03-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bubbalove View Post
Thanks SoberJennie- I will try some of the materials and try to join the Tuesday meeting. Just curious, have you tried AA and how does WIS compare?
I have tried AA, yes. For a few months I went to meetings, found a sponsor, started the steps...

I found that it's a great option for some. Not my first choice though. I'm still attending the occasional meeting here and there but mostly just for the fellowship.

I found the Steps to be rigid and too "set"... It's just not my style. My sponsor was fairly open-minded, and a very nice and intelligent lady... But I don't think her style of sponsoring was for me.

So I'm continuing reading lots of books, as I've always done. This is my preferred way to learn and grow. Along with SR, and meditation, individual therapy, and now journaling. That seems to work perfectly for me.

I am reading a book called Waiting: A Nonbelievers Higher Power by Marya Hornbacher. It's pretty good. It helps me understand the 12 Steps better, and I can see how universal they really are. It makes me feel a bit better about them. But I put sponsorship on hold for now, as I felt the need to find my own way for a while. She knows I will call her if I want to pick back up where we left off.

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 08-03-2013, 11:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your AA experiences. I am feeling somewhat the same, finding it very rigid and seems to "demand" following the program as in the "Big Book", without allowing for deviation. Seems like WIS might be better fit. I just placed an order for the books and booklets you recommended and started reading some of the posts.