Notices

First time

Old 07-24-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First time

Many times I considered going to an AA meeting. I knew I really had to find a way to quit drinking. There are days when I just have a glass a wine, or a few beers, and then there are days when I get totally plastered. Last night, was just that. I had to get up early to go to a job, and my head hurt so bad I couldn't sleep. I somehow managed to get to my jobsite 45mins late, but managed to get a lot accomplished. I still felt like crap though.
For me, I feel like I am Dr.Jekyl and Mr. Hyde. During the morning/afternoon I am fine, dont think about drinking, don't need to drink. But once I am done working and I go home to an empty house, its the only thing I want to do. Numb the empty feeling, drown out the voice inside my head that says I am a loser and pathetic cuz I don't have friends, I don't have a life. I work, I go home, repeat.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR Myka. You will make friends here - ones who really understand what you're going through. This is a great place for support when you're trying to quit. Many good ideas and encouragement.

Be proud of yourself for seeing what alcohol is doing to your life. Some never get it. I drank like you years ago - sometimes I could control it, but there were the dangerous & unpredictable times. Eventually there was no control, ever. I was drinking all day when I came here - my life was in shambles. This never has to happen to you. Please keep posting and reading here - we want to help.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Welcome, Myka27. Thanks for posting. Many of us here can relate to the type of life you describe. Your life no longer has to be this way. Even just by reaching out on here you're taking a step towards the life you deserve.

Deciding to go to my first AA meeting is one of the best things I've ever done. Do post any questions you have about attending a meeting. By reading these forums you'll also find out about lots of other recovery programs, methods and tools.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Where?

I am trying to find a place near where I live to go to a closed session meeting.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have tried this before on my own. I go about 2 days with no alcohol but by the 3rd day I get home, I'm bored ,and I say I will just have 1 glass of wine, or 1 beer, and then before the nites over I have had 3 or 4. then the next day its back to the same ol' thing. I'm just tired of waking up in the morning hung over and disappointed in myself.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Myka

I think if we want change we need to make changes - if you keep talking yourself out of those changes then nothing much is going to change, yeah?

If you put your location 'and AA meetings' into Google you should get some results

D
Old 07-24-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Myka27, I have tried several times to quit and am currently on day 4. I attended my first AA meeting earlier today, although I was familiar with the concept since I went to open meetings with my dad years ago and hated them! Today was not so bad but this was for me. This link may help you find a meeting in your area. Good luck to you!

Alcoholics Anonymous : HOW TO FIND A.A. MEETINGS
Old 07-24-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kindness and support! It is wonderful!
Old 07-24-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You are more than welcome. Keep posting, it is why we are all here! Keep us posted!
Old 07-24-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi Myka! Your not alone, in fact, welcome to the land of prior Jekkyl and Hydes! There's many of us here.

I'm glad that you decided to join, this is a great place full of great people. There's many days that this place alone kept me sober. Stick around and read
Old 07-24-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

you don't have to do this alone... there's strength in numbers

I also go to work, come home , to an empty house , but that's when I jump on SR.

It's saved me . I read and post and before you know it ,
Bedtime

If I need contact I'll do an NA meeting

I'm not pushing NA or AA but there are others , just like us

Friendship , it's there