Notices

Curious Co-Dependency Link

Old 07-12-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Curious Co-Dependency Link

I'm curious what all of you have learned - is there a link between co-dependency and alcohol use? I find my urge to drink is directly related to interrelations with my spouse. When he's angry, pulls back, or critical - it's all I can do to not pick up a bottle.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There certainly could be, but in the end it's up to you to find a way to not pick up, regardless of where the trigger comes from. Do you have a recovery plan or method that you are using?
Old 07-12-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, I do. I just notice the urge is stronger when the issues are more prevalent. I know who it's up to to not drink. Just curious.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by ckoures View Post
Yes, I do. I just notice the urge is stronger when the issues are more prevalent. I know who it's up to to not drink. Just curious.
That makes sense, our urges to drink are usually stronger in stressful situations as most of us tried to escape the problems by drinking. But I don't think co-dependence would specifically be any different than any other stressor in our lives when it comes to cranking up the urges.

Part of sobriety is figuring out healthy ways to cope with our every day lives instead of drinking. Sometimes that requires additional help. For example, some folks have underlying psychological problems that they were suppressing with alcohol, so they need counseling or prescribed meds to treat them. Others had marital issues so they need marital counseling. The list goes on and on, but it's very important to remember that simply quitting drinking doesn't make all the other problems go away.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Very true, thanks!