Notices

About to drink

Old 07-12-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Be patient with the anti-depression drugs.

They take time to become effective, and sometimes there are undesirable side-effects--and then your doctor might have you then try something different. In all honesty, it may take a year or more to figure this out.. Also, it takes two years for your brain to heal from addiction.

Remember that a compulsion only lasts forever if you give in to it.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Acheleus View Post
Ok so I have a prescription for depression/anxiety and it is dirt cheap, four dollars a month. So I am just hoping it does not make me gain weight or go crazier than I am. It is an SSRI, does anyone have any experience with these? I pray that this will help me be calm and not so miserable. Still craving a drink but the doc did say he admired me for what I am trying to do to improve my life. I told him about SR and how important it is to my daily work in sobriety. I feel better today than yesterday.
Which SSRI is it?
Old 07-12-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

The size of this thread is a testament to the people here rootin' for ya (I being one of them!). I'm so glad you held on and went out there and found a DIFFERENT solution Ache. Woot woot...look at you go! You're problem solving not drinking in defeat and self pity (insert happy dance here!). So so happy for you!!!!!!
Old 07-12-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
The size of this thread is a testament to the people here rootin' for ya (I being one of them!). I'm so glad you held on and went out there and found a DIFFERENT solution Ache. Woot woot...look at you go! You're problem solving not drinking in defeat and self pity (insert happy dance here!). So so happy for you!!!!!!
I totally agree!!! You have a big family here that literally spans the world!
Old 07-12-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Thank you guys. It is celexa. I do feel proud of my self for not drinking or smoking for 44 days. I know it is early in recovery but I feel that I have pushed through to a new level of self awareness. I appreciate everyone helping me on this forum and taking the time to give me sound advice and knowledge. This has been difficult but I know I can have a better life that is not based around alcohol and my own pleasure.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Doing ok today?

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-13-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Originally Posted by Acheleus View Post
Thank you guys. It is celexa. I do feel proud of my self for not drinking or smoking for 44 days. I know it is early in recovery but I feel that I have pushed through to a new level of self awareness. I appreciate everyone helping me on this forum and taking the time to give me sound advice and knowledge. This has been difficult but I know I can have a better life that is not based around alcohol and my own pleasure.
Thank you for the thread and the updates about your sobriety.

I am just over 9 months sober and recently started lexapro 5 days ago, an SSRI very similar to celexa. Dealing a lot myself with the side effects of starting an antidepressant.

Like the desire to drink, I feel this is another thing that will take time to work itself out. The obsession is definitely gone for me at this time, but I am just beginning to learn how to live sober. I got messed up and numbed out for such a long time that I am just now, at 28, discovering who I am and potentially want to be. I'm learning I have these crazy things call emotions that make me feel different ways...lol.

Keep at it. It only gets better. I know for a fact there is nothing a drink of drug won't make worse (or better) long term.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

On the label of the bottle or can it trys to sell you "a good time" "feel good" Forget you problems" etc. On the back however, in the small print it says

This product is a deadly poison that will make you feel sick, depressed, tired, frustrated, sweaty, ache, awful, terrible, it will give you shakes, embarrass you, dent your pride, and kill you. The poison will also make you think that all of these symptoms can be relieved with more poison, how clever of the evil murdering bstard.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Acheleus. You are a Rockstar. I will let you know, that I had to go onto an anti-depressant a few years back. The medication did help me out. I tried everything under the sun that was natural. I was against meds, yet i knew something had to give. The anti-deprssant turned by brain around, and I was able to stop worrying less, feel more happy, and get on with living. This may only be for a short period of time. So, give it awhile and see how you feel.
I am proud of you A. You are doing well.