Notices

Day 11 and made a big decision

Old 07-13-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 11 and made a big decision

So i am now on day 11, feeling great and really reaping the benefits of being sober. Life is good. It hasnt been difficult at all as yet, but i am prepared if it changes. In fact i am feeling so good in myself and so much healthier that i have decided to give up my 10 a day smoking habit! I want to be clean and sober and reach a level of healthiness i haven't achieved since pregnancy five years ago! I think i am ready to take it on. I have been smoking for a few months now, started off with work stress, but i am determined to kick it. Bizarrely i never smoked when i drank so the two never went hand in hand for me. I no longer want to smell like an ashtray or stand in the garden in pouring rain because i need one. NO MORE. Ive set monday as my quit date so wish me luck SR Fam, and send positive vibes to me
Thats my last vice gone then
Old 07-13-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 11. Best of luck with quitting smoking.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Hayley!
I've got a feeling the not smoking will be harder than the not drinking!!
Old 07-13-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Quitting smoking was certainly one of the best decisions I ever made

best wishes apophylite

D
Old 07-13-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Best of luck in quitting smoking.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I quit Jan 2 2000, best thing I ever did too , I agree.
I heard a mind technique which I will share with you. Works for some I guess, as it worked for me.
Spitfire pilot caught by the Nazi's being interrogated. Pilot a smoker, and all the Nazi interrogators can use by way of torture is to hold out a packet of cigarettes and say "Talk of Ve do not give you a Ziggarette!" Can you hold out? Could you hold out for ever? Or talk?
For you I guess someone like Odette, a courageous French women, resistance fighter, who did not give anyone away when caught by the Nazis and suffered the most horrendous treatment. She survived the war and was given the George Cross, the highest award for gallantry available from the King.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 11 and on quitting smoking! That's wonderful to hear you are feeling so good.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great choice, just don't overwhelm yourself. I quit about 6 months in. Just remember if you are having a difficult time of it not to beat yourself up. You can't get arrested for smoke breath. The drinking is the most important in the beginning. And if your attempts at smoking interfere with your sobriety wait till you have a firmer foundation in sobriety.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm on Year 11 and both my wife of 32 years and me agree that I am in no way CLOSE to giving up my last vice or defect of character!

Seriously, and I realize this violates your wish for positive vibes, I do wish you well on your plan to stop smoking on Monday---but my only concerns are (1) with the plan to quit/stop and (2) that this quitting or stopping is planned for "tomorrow".

From my experience, every time I stop, I eventually start. That's because an alcoholic/addict is someone who "can't stop" - so every time I convince myself that I have stopped, it's not long before I conclude that I'm not really an alcoholic/addict! Because I've stopped. The only way I found out of that cycle was to stop the stopping and begin focusing on staying sober. Today.

Which is where my second concern comes in: I could always stop tomorrow or some ither future date. I could also expend great amounts of regret and self-hatred about all my failures to stop in the past. The only way out of those wasted efforts was to focus on the one day that I can "be" sober. And that day is always Today!

Regardless, I wish you well on your plan. And congratulate you on the 11 days worth of Today's!

Mike L
Old 07-13-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Best to you