Notices

Day 1

Old 07-07-2013, 10:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

Hi I am George and am new to this site and on day 1 of sobriety. I'm an alcoholic and was sober for a good amount of time and I relapsed a month ago. I've been drinking on the weekends about 20-25 beers and around 5 shots of whiskey. I drank about that the past 2 nights. Right now I feel anxious as all hell. I'm afraid I'm going to go through withdrawal again. My question is, if I stop and don't drink anymore. Am I going to go through some of these horrific withdrawals I hear about or am I just anxious with a bad hangover?
Old 07-07-2013, 11:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you are worried you should assume that you are going to get withdrawals and take the appropriate care. You need to face it sooner or later and sooner will be easier in the long term. Good luck and keep posting.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks. I know I'm going to have a rough day tomorrow too, I just want to get back on track. I don't want to be hospitalized like I was after a 3 year binge. I slipped up, don't want to lose my family and wanna get back into the meetings.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I always had panic and anxiety on hangover day after a night of binge drinking.
I am not one who likes to walk around drunk all day, so I wouldnt start until 7 or 8 pm, and could still drink an entire pint of vodka by 1 or 2 am. Black out and then wake up with health concern paranoia and anxiety. I'd be inside my head all day with thoughts swirling that, "my blood pressure must be really high right now", "I feel like my heart is beating irregularly", "I cant breathe good". Maybe its that?
Old 07-08-2013, 12:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah I'm the same way. All day I sat here and just worried about like you said health concerns. I just need to go to a meeting tomorrow and get back with the people that help me.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It doesn't sound like you've been drinking enough or as long this time to get bad withdrawals. I've quit many times, and the withdrawals (from 1-2 bottles of wine plus 8 to 9 hard drinks a night) were racing heartbeat, inability to sleep, exhaustion, sweating . . . nothing worse than what I normally got with bad hangovers--in fact, it was easier than some hangovers. So I wouldn't be afraid of it! I'm trying to focus on the positive instead even though I feel like crap right now, like remembering how good I felt when I was sober before. Good luck!
Old 07-08-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Welcome to SR, George! Well done on making the decision to get back.

If I were you, I'd go and see my doctor just to be on the safe side, especially if you've been hospitalized in the past because of withdrawals. Your doctor can assess how bad your withdrawal might be and help you to manage it.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody it's day 2 now, I actually slept well and right before I fell asleep I ate a lot. I feel foggy and tired, I'm going to hang at my parents the. Hit a meeting. Just want to get through today. Thanks for the support.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi GEORGE!
Groggy and tired is okay. Good to know that you are at your parents, and going to go to a meeting. You can do this!!!
Old 07-08-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are getting through it OK. You should draw on this experience next time to avoid relapse again. Good luck moving forward
Old 07-08-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi George! Glad to have you here with us.

I'm so happy you are wanting your sober life back. You can do it. Being here really helped me not to feel alone - and the constant encouragement and support gave me strength.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day 2. Went to a meeting. Got honest. I feel good about it. My head is still really foggy and I'm exhausted. Having some anxiety. But I have plans to get picked up again tomorrow for a meeting. Just tryna get thru today. Thanks everyone for the support and just caring. It feels good.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi George, today was day 3 for me too. How did it go for you ?
Old 07-08-2013, 10:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Hey Gworge! It's great that you got to a meeting. I know i start feeling squirrelly after missing too many of my meetings. AA meetings are my safe haven. Do you have a sponsor yet? As wonderful as meetings are, most people don't get sober through osmosis. I tried that for a while and after 10 months of off and on meetings with no sponsor or step work, i found my head back in the bottle. I stayed there for about 3 months until i got back to meetings and found myself a sponsor. It took a couple of months until i really got in the game and started putting significant effort into my step work and sobriety. Keep up the good work and really dig into the meat of AA. Remember that half measures don't avail us half results. They avail us nothing. Welcome back to sobriety!
Old 07-09-2013, 03:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Luckily I have a real strong support group in my home group members who been calling me everyday since my relapse a month ago. I have a sponsor an he's got me reading the first step again. I still feel a little sick but as the hrs tick by the better I feel. This site is really awesome because these lonely nights I have no one to talk to about how I'm feeling now I do. I was hitting meeting hard for about 90 days then I just stopped doing step work and going to meetings. Next thing you know I was obsessing and my obsession was telling me to keep it to myself and the opportunity presented itself and I thought hey, I could get trashed one day and jump right back on the wagon. It's been a month and I feel like I never stopped. I have a good group of people an family that support me. I am lucky. I have to take advantage. So I'm going to another meeting tomorrow! Already got a ride set up. Thanks all for the support.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day 1 AGAIN for me George, so good for you! I plan to hit a meeting at noon, then a lot of family arrive. It is going to be a difficult stretch.

Thanks for your honesty.