Notices

Coming clean first day need guidance

Old 07-07-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coming clean first day need guidance

I have been using percocet and oxycode for a year. I need advice. I stopped eating my usual 50 mg or more avg a day yesterday around 5pm I went to the er and I was told I tested negative. This makes no sense to me. I did not feel any withdrawl symptoms for almost 20 hours. I began with a watery nose. Lots of crying after I came clean to my family. Around the 20 hour mark I got goosebumps and chills. Then the runs. I asked my wife for one pill to help take the edge of. I have never been through this. My wife is not an addict and has never done drugs of any sort. I will start with that.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cool

Sorry I cannot share re that drug.
Was on benzos for decades along with horrible w/drawals during tapers.
With benzos the bad stuff can happen quite long after stopping.
Suggest you follow the medicos on this one.

Welcome to the forum and hopefully others can be more helpful.

ALF 58
Old 07-07-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Did the ER dr give you any advice on how to continue or what to expect? If not, it might be a good idea to talk to your regular dr.

I'm glad you posted and that you are working on recovery.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Brian339 View Post
I have been using percocet and oxycode for a year. I need advice. I stopped eating my usual 50 mg or more avg a day yesterday around 5pm I went to the er and I was told I tested negative. This makes no sense to me. I did not feel any withdrawl symptoms for almost 20 hours. I began with a watery nose. Lots of crying after I came clean to my family. Around the 20 hour mark I got goosebumps and chills. Then the runs. I asked my wife for one pill to help take the edge of. I have never been through this. My wife is not an addict and has never done drugs of any sort. I will start with that.
Withdrawal from anything is always unpleasant. To make sure you know what to expect, do a simple google search on opiate withdrawal and take it from there. You can beat this, but you really gotta focus and work at it. No more pills, even to "Take the edge off", as it just prolongs the withdrawal process. You will make it through this and feel so much better once you get going in recovery and living in a healthy way. Welcome to the forum btw. Oh, one other thing, you cant actually die from opiate withdrawal, so that is something to comfort you.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'd see a doctor for help with the w/d.

to SR!
Old 07-07-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

soon you will be free

since you have already visited the ER
you should also be able to call them for some free advice
they have you on record now

stopping the pills is a good thing for you as it was for me
but
at least keep some contact with the ER nurse on the phone
you can let them know that you wish to
get off these pills ASAP - but - in a safe manner

they know exactly how you should tapper off ?
or
if you can just stop cold turkey ?

best of luck to you
believe me it is such a fine feeling
to be free

Mountainman
Old 07-07-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome. I'm glad you are here. Opiates, opoids are/were my DOC. I'm a binger though and only suffered through withdrawls early in my use. I am so glad I never have to use again.

Stick around!
Old 07-07-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have Xanax to help now. I just slept for three hours and I am hoping to catch more sleep. It is not my drug of choice but I read they will help with withdrawls. I do not want to take another perc. I am so sick of the rat race. I want to make it through. I have a family to provide for. I was taking 100-130 mg a day at my worst was the past few months. I have taken one today and will take one in the morning to make it through work. If it prolongs it then so be it. I am calling my doctor to come clean tomorrow.

Please feel free to respond to my comments. I need support.

PLEASE HELP ME
Old 07-07-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Did the ER dr give you any advice on how to continue or what to expect? If not, it might be a good idea to talk to your regular dr.

I'm glad you posted and that you are working on recovery.
The ER said I tested negative. I don't know how or why but it was. I am feeling terrible and I know what I did for drugs. Unless they were all fake but its not possible.

Does anyone know why I would test negative?
Old 07-07-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Brian, welcome to the forum! It sounds like you have the same tolerance that I did when I got help, and I remember those WD symptoms...to say they are very uncomfortable would be putting it mildly...
I had to ultimately go to an inpatient facility for about 5 days in order to kick my habit, would this be an option for you? Nighthawk is right that the best way to do this is to cut out the pills entirely, they may help with the WD's, but they certainly won't help in getting you to achieve you goal.
Also, another EXTREMELY helpful part of recovery is getting as many supports as you can. Hopefully now that you have come clean with your family, they will be your best source of support, and coming to this site was also a great idea! Please let me know if you have any other questions, I am happy to help in any way that I can, as I am sure others here are as well! Good luck!
Old 07-07-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Brian339 View Post

The ER said I tested negative.

Does anyone know why I would test negative?
does not happen often
but
faulty test maybe

that's not really a great concern anyway

do what you need to do so as to safely detox

Mountainman
Old 07-07-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What does "tested negative" mean?

Actually opiate/opioid withdrawals, while uncomfortable as hell, are rarely fatal. You might OD on them but rarely is the withdrawal fatal. Alcohol and benzo withdrawals on the other hand can kill you.

Opiate Withdrawal Symptoms
Old 07-07-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Taking5;4057007]What does "tested negative" mean?

My blood and urine tested negative for opiads. I believe thats why they cut me loose.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

How long had it been since your last dose before they tested you Brian? That dont seem right to me, I know Opiates can show in your system for up to 72 hours
Old 07-07-2013, 11:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It had been six hours
Old 07-08-2013, 12:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If you're really concerned about that, you could always go get a home urine test at a store and see for yourself.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

best time to stop

Originally Posted by socallednormal View Post
If you're really concerned about that, you could always go get a home urine test at a store and see for yourself.
that would be a cheap fast solution for all this wondering
if it also test negative
today will always be the best time to stop taking everything

Mountainman
Old 07-08-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I talked to my wife about going to get another test. She said no point. I took one pill yesterday around 3pm and one at 730 pm today. Around 12:00 today I called her and asked to flush the rest. I am taking this head on. If I was being sold some fakes along with the ones I know I bought from some who had scripts then most of the withdrawls are done if not I want clean. If I take one a day for the next five days I won't get clean so either way here we go.....pray for me my brothers and sisters.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Good luck Brian, I hope this goes as easily as possible for you. It really wouldn't hurt to just check out NA or AA meetings in your area, or maybe outpatient programs at certain facilities. Getting the opiates out of your system is just the beginning of kicking a deeply ingrained addiction, sometimes it's helpful to talk to others about how to handle triggers and some of the other issues that can(and most likely will) arise from getting clean. Keep us updated!