Notices

New comer again and again

Old 05-23-2013, 08:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New comer again and again

No Body has to take the path I have taken.
There are many 1 chip wonders.
I have been fighting with alcoholism for 36 years.. many of that happy and sober.
My latest was 14 1/2 years sober.
Now I can not get 3 days sober.
I know it hast to do with being totally honest to myself but why can I not see or get in touch with that.
I know the concequences and where I am headed and I do not want to loose anything I have gained in sobriety. Why can I not tap into letting God control my life?? I have made a wreck of it.
Frank
Old 05-23-2013, 09:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful

I can relate Frank, and I also know you can get sober again because I did it. If I can do it you can do it. I had 7 years sober 2 different times and went back out...this last time for 8 years. But guess what? I have managed to string 37 "one day at a times" together and hoping for number 38 tomorrow. I know it's hard to not dwell on the past, especially when you have gotten some long term sobriety and life got a lot better. But I'm really trying to concentrate on the present right now and not beat myself up over the past. It is hard to do but I believe it's the only way I can stay sober today. I am reflecting on the past, but only to figure out what I need to do differently this time to avoid the pitfalls that eventually led me back to picking up a drink. I have had to get honest with myself and others and I am making some progress, but I think it's going to take awhile. I hope and pray you make it back too so you don't lose all of the things you have gained in sobriety. I don't think we have lost everything we have learned in our years of sobriety, we just have to reset the sobriety date, get back up, dust ourselves off and start doing the things we need to do to stay sober. That's my plan anyway. Live in the present, get honest with myself and others and get back into a program of recovery so that I'm part of the solution.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Frank

I'm sorry for your struggles but you found a good place.
There's a lot of support here.

the folks here took a 20 years drunk like me and helped him turn his life around.
Hope we can help you do that too

D
Old 05-24-2013, 01:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, Frank!

You had a lot of sober time! What was the main factor in deciding to start drinking again? What might you do differently?

You were able to stop once, and obviously you want to kick it again. It is possible, your past sobriety is proof of that and should give you hope.

SR is a great family! It's good to have you here.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You've come to a great place for support. With the help of the members here (and my counselor) I've been sober for over three years now. And I thought I was hopeless. So if I can do it, you can too.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Frank

I am glad to hear that the majority of those years have been happy sober ones. That is a good thing to focus on. Can you identify what made you pick up again though? Maybe if you can take the mystery out of it it will seem less of a hurdle x
Old 07-08-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi. I am the brother of the original poster, Frank. Unfortunately Frank did not make it - he was in a fatal car accident a couple weeks ago. I deal with addicts daily with my job, and I don't think I've seen anyone make the effort thank Frank made over the last 18 months. His resolve against his demon was epic, but ultimately he couldn't prevail. I thank you all for your fantastic support, encouragement and kindness. I wish you all the best in your lives and your recoveries. Thanks again - Vince
Old 07-08-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

OH my goodness. I am so sorry for your loss Vince. This is a heartbreaking thread...thank you for taking the time to post this. I am...speechless...
Old 07-08-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Vince,
I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your brother. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Vince : So sorry for your loss, Prayers for you and yours
Old 07-08-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Vince, Thank you for posting this. May Frank finally be at rest - no more earthly cares. Prayers for you and your family to be comforted - and thank you for your good wishes. What a kind thing to do.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry for your loss Vince!! My prayers are with you and you family. Through God's love may Frank find everlasting peace...