Notices

What is the ONE thing that helped you stay sober?

Old 06-27-2013, 10:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Good info, Fantail! Thanks for sharing. I want to start back yoga. I did yoga when I first got sober at age 26 and it really did help! There may be something to the GABA release, and I've read about some recent studies showing brain chemistry and structural changes (in the amygdala, specifically, if I recall) in people who regularly meditate... and even the type of meditation determined the particular changes. Very interesting. I posted a link to those studies on here, forgot which thread though.

I take GABA supplements daily, btw.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

For me, getting and staying sober for my children wasn't it. At one point in my alcoholism, I actually contemplated giving up custody and moving in with my alcoholic boyfriend. <shakes head>

I got to the point of being sick and tired of being sick and tired. In desperation I got on my knees and prayed to a god I no longer believed in. I went to detox. After detox, I volunteered at my local animal shelter. For the last two years, I've been fostering dogs. For some reason, the idea of not being able to take the dogs for a walk because I am plastered totally turned me from a blackout drinker to sobriety.

I drank in April through early June but still walked the dogs every morning.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:50 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

The #1 thing that helped me was something Dee said that I'm sure many SR members have heard from him. "Take drinking off the table as an option." As simple as that. No tapering, no moderating, no drinking on days with an s in them, simply remove the option. I removed the option from my table and my life, I don't drink.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm answering this as things that helped me the most in getting sober. (I really can't pick just one as they were all very important. Sorry, I know I'm not sticking to the rules here. I don't feel that I have enough sober time to answer it as staying sober, really)

SR- posting every day and reading a lot around here
exercise (stretching, walking and pushups every day)
eating well and drinking lots of water plus a multivitamin
learning about PAWS and using the information about easing the symptoms Why We Don’t Get Better Immediately: Post-acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) | What...Me Sober?
planning out my days as it was difficult to figure out what I was supposed to be doing at first... still is sometimes
believing in myself and being really determined
being honest about all of the negative effects alcohol had on my life
playing drums every day
keeping a gratitude list and being thankful for each and every day sober as well as being thankful for other things in my life
Old 06-27-2013, 11:13 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thumbs up on yoga. I've picked it up too as a fun "treat" - I may make it more regular like my vitamins based on that factoid!

What worked for me was intensionally breaking my routine around every drinking behavior until not drinking was my routine.

I'm finding I have a long way to go with intentionality around my choices in general.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:48 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
now's the time

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
I've read about some recent studies showing brain chemistry and structural changes (in the amygdala, specifically, if I recall) in people who regularly meditate... and even the type of meditation determined the particular changes. Very interesting. I posted a link to those studies on here, forgot which thread though.
Awesome! I will poke around for that. I've been trying to get myself to meditate as well and have been having trouble motivating. Sounds like some good info to get me excited about it.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:14 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fantail View Post

Awesome! I will poke around for that. I've been trying to get myself to meditate as well and have been having trouble motivating. Sounds like some good info to get me excited about it.
I also try to meditate Fantail, especially when it's coming up to bedtime, and practice self hypnosis to get me off to sleep, I'd say these things have helped me a lot in my more difficult times.

Funnily enough, my dr recommended yoga to me, I'm just a bit apprehensive about a gangly 6ft guy with no co-ordination popping shapes, maybe I should get a book and try it in the comfort of my own home!
Old 06-28-2013, 03:19 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Recovering

What is the ONE thing that helped you stay sober?
For me, the help of God, through Jesus Christ.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:34 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Reading SR daily and posting in the class of the month I quit thread.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:40 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

just responding to nighthawks post which resonated very strongly with me- i find it hard to communicate to others the absolute profundity and scale of change that not drinking requires- maybe im projecting but i think others think its just not drinking- whereas its having to excavate the bedrock of a pyschology and strategy that has led to nothing good,and some very bad times- this absolute change is daunting, exciting,wonderful,challenging and fufilling...i hope !
Old 06-28-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

In 1/79 I was very tired of being sick and tired of being sick and tired after bouncing around AA for about 2 years. During that period I heard what I needed to hear and in desperation I said God please help me to stop drinking. I was not or am I today a religious person however I haven't had a drink since that day. I feel that getting VERY active in AA is a big reason and I still do 3-5 meetings a week. Getting honest with myself was a big factor also. BE WELL
Old 06-28-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by JimdiGriz View Post
just responding to nighthawks post which resonated very strongly with me- i find it hard to communicate to others the absolute profundity and scale of change that not drinking requires- maybe im projecting but i think others think its just not drinking- whereas its having to excavate the bedrock of a pyschology and strategy that has led to nothing good,and some very bad times- this absolute change is daunting, exciting,wonderful,challenging and fufilling...i hope !
I agree. Its not just setting the bottle down and carrying on as you were. Everything has to change for you to reap the full benefits sobriety has to offer. You have to change your foundation and core, which in turn, changes everything. I dont even view things the same anymore, and my preferences and tastes all seem to have changed in wonderful and exciting ways. The trick for me is to ALWAYS try and do things that make me feel uncomfortable, or things that little annoying voice in my head says "You cant do this, this will never work" or " You arent good enough to live this sort of life, who are you kidding". Those are a few examples, but you get my drift. I like to stare that voice in the face and prove it wrong every chance I get. This has allowed tremendous personal growth, but its still a work in progress.