Notices

On sleep and/or lack thereof

Old 06-19-2013, 07:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

On sleep and/or lack thereof

I know I have asked questions about sleeping habits after quitting but figured I would run this by you guys again now that some time has passed. Background- could barely sleep the first month, slept every chance I could the 2nd month and at 90 days started to level off...somewhat. I have never been a great or even good sleeper. Even as a child I was told I fought sleep. I am 7.5 months sober and still sometimes struggling with sleeping the whole night. I fall asleep pretty easily but can get up at 12, 1, 2, 3 and so on....Was talking with a woman in AA today and she said she started sleeping well after the first year. I like that hope! lol If anyone has any tips or advice I would greatly appreciate it This wouldn't bother me but I am so tired most days. I am able to get through work, exercise and get to meetings but only on caffiene. I am wondering if that's part of my problem as well...I do have my last cup at 12 pm so it shouldn't be affecting me at night. Now I am rambling , thanks for reading!
Old 06-19-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

if you've never been a good sleeper maybe a sleep clinic is a good idea Quit?

D
Old 06-19-2013, 09:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Do you exercise? I sleep a lot better if I get 30-60 min of moderate exercise in the afternoon or evening - but don't do it too late or it can keep you up..
Old 06-19-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee, look into a sleep clinic. If this has been a life-long problem, then only a MD can help.

So proud of you for your long term Sobriety. Keep it up, you are an inspiration to many.

Welcome and keep posting.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

My first good night's sleep came after I took step 5. If I have trouble sleeping now, and it's not caffiene - I rarely drink coffee these days - then the cause is usually spritual in nature, something I need to attend to in step 10 or 11. An amends I need to make, a situation I need to change or something I must accept.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Sleeping has been a seesaw for me too. Slept beautifully after first week for about a month. At about 4 months I was dragging constantly. Now, at 11 months I find it harder to fall asleep, but seem to be sleeping a lot more deeply so am more rested. Maybe your body just needs to go through some cycles to get back to normal sleep? I definitely saw a difference when I exercised too, have to get back to that...
Old 06-20-2013, 03:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've had sleep problems for years, although it's definitley better since I've been in recovery. Have you tried any of the herbal sleep aids? I've had great success with Valerian. It helps relax me, calms me down, I sleep throughout the night and wake with no "hangover" (no grogginess, etc). There's also melatonin which works well for lots of folks. I strongly recommend lots of exercise, too, which it sounds like you're getting. I workout in the mornings, which helps get me going throughout the day. A warm shower/bath before bed helps, too. Best of luck...I feel your pain!
Old 06-20-2013, 05:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for all your advice and support I never thought of a sleep clinic but there are some in my area... Perhaps that would be a good idea. A good action to take next since I am exercising daily, eating right & feeling spiritually fit