Notices

anxious and scared

Old 06-13-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lost

anxious and scared

Hi- wow this hard-- this is my first post and I am nervous--to be honest not sure of what to say.
I have tried unsuccessfully to control my drinking and I now realize that I need to quit. If I don't, my husband has said that he will have no choice but to take my son and leave.
I live on a small island where everybody drinks--a lot.
We can't move, and I am terrified that I will not be able to stay sober here.
I think this site is fantastic and I've also done quite a bit of reading and so understand the importance of meetings, and so that's why I'm here.
Thank you
Old 06-13-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, Kiter. Welcome. You're in a safe place among people who have gone through (or are going through) similar challenges.

Sorry to hear that your environment adds some challenges, but you can quit anywhere. Just like you can drink anywhere. Glad to have you here.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Kiter Lots of support here. Diverse online community. You will see you have many recovery options! You can do it
Old 06-13-2013, 06:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome kiter Maybe you can stay away from those places / friends who are drinking for awhile? Sounds like your husband would support that decision. Again, welcome.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kiter - I think nearly everyone here will tell you they live in a place where people drink a lot.

they may be able to - we cannot.

It's possible to get and stay sober anywhere - because it's about you, and the choices and changes you'll make - not anyone else

D
Old 06-13-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Kiter,

I'm glad you found us. I know you will find lots of support here. I hope that you can stay away from people who are drinking alcohol for awhile, until you feel stronger.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Lost

Thank you!

Thanks for the kind words- and so encouraging to get replies so fast!
Thanks again!
Old 06-13-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm a mom too please come John our moms group or stop in and read it in the Newcombers support threads
Old 06-13-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh and welcome .... Sorry....
Old 06-13-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just joined today as well so you're not alone. I'm a rookie but happy to be surrounded by a wealth of knowledge and supportive people.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Lost

Thanks ImperfectlyMe--will definitely check out the mom's group
PS love your "drink coffee" pic

Thanks again to you all!

Time for sleep....Day 1 is officially a win!
Old 06-13-2013, 08:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by kiter View Post
Hi- wow this hard-- this is my first post and I am nervous--to be honest not sure of what to say.
I have tried unsuccessfully to control my drinking and I now realize that I need to quit. If I don't, my husband has said that he will have no choice but to take my son and leave.
I think this site is fantastic and I've also done quite a bit of reading and so understand the importance of meetings, and so that's why I'm here.
Thank you

One of the things you learn in sobriety, is to be your own person and you build the strength to stand on you own and be strong. You learn to deal with life without alcohol as a crutch, and it really is SO much better. You are capable of SO much more than you even probably know right now, but its true. If you stick to this, and as time goes on, you will be amazed at how much you shock yourself in great ways. I wish you the best, and this forum is a GREAT place to start.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Lost

Posted this to sober weekend but also wanted to post here-i'd be grateful for any advice/comments::

Good friend is having a bday party tonight that i was really looking forward to, and everyone will be drinking tons and there's also a big hockey game on---for me a total double threat....
I think I'm going to have to send my husband (a drinker but very supportive) to the parry and just stay home with my son (10) and maybe catch some of the game with him---with only NA beer in the house...
So depressing, but if I drink that will also be depressing.
It is what it is.
Hope you are all doing well.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Posted this to sober weekend but also wanted to post here-i'd be grateful for any advice/comments::

Good friend is having a bday party tonight that i was really looking forward to, and everyone will be drinking tons and there's also a big hockey game on---for me a total double threat....
I think I'm going to have to send my husband (a drinker but very supportive) to the parry and just stay home with my son (10) and maybe catch some of the game with him---with only NA beer in the house...
So depressing, but if I drink that will also be depressing.
It is what it is.
Hope you are all doing well.

Yeah, I wouldnt go right now. Trust your gut and dont put yourself in situations you know you arent ready for or are comfortable with. Sobriety first, and the rest will follow with time.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi kiter. Good for you - thinking about the consequences of going to a place you might be tempted. We're all different, but I do think early on it's asking a lot to resist it. Many triggers attending a party and hockey game.

You'll feel stronger when you get some sober time behind you - then you can decide what is safe. I can go most anywhere now and not care about other people drinking, but some will always feel tempted. You'll feel so good once you get over this hurdle. Glad you posted about it.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Welcome, kiter. I agree you should give it a miss this early on in sobriety.

Time for sleep....Day 1 is officially a win!
Love this, by the way. Yes, every day you put your head on your pillow sober, you're a winner!
Old 06-15-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey Kiter--

I found that by REALLY watching the other drinkers... it actually makes me see how much I don't want to drink.

Sure, the first drink, I might kind of wish I could have some... but by the end of the night, I'm thinking about how much I would have downed by then if I'd been drinking and then I'm glad I'm not.

You'll notice that some people only have one or two drinks and quit. To me, this was baffling. The other people will keep drinking, and you'll notice that they have a problem with alcohol. They will be drunk and annoying, and you'll think "I'm glad that's not me!" They will wake up hungover and you'll think "I'm glad that's not me!". They will lose their families and children, maybe their lives eventually, and you will think "I'm glad that's not me!"

Welcome!
Old 06-15-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I thought the same thing about my surroundings until I stopped drinking for a while. I was astounded how many people actually didn't drink. When we're actively drinking things look incredibly different then when we have the drink down for a while.

I've no idea where you live so I reserve the right to be wrong on this one, but I really don't think I am.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Lost

I live on a Caribbean island, and I'm afraid that I'm not exaggerating when I say that everyone drinks---and not only at bars--at kids birthday parties, sporting events, school events (I remember last year at the school play it started to rain so they announced: "We're going to try and wait this out but don't worry, the bar is open!".
There is no law here against drinking and driving- so everyone does it---in fact the bars and restaurants will offer drinks in "to go" cups.
Everyone goes to the beach a lot and we hang out at the resorts where you are surrounded by tourists drinking as well.
I'm not sure why it is that ALL the expats drink--I guess because in this culture's it is not only accepted-- it is encouraged.
I love living here- but probably not the best place to try and get sober.
Also, there is no AA.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Lost

Husband is at party and my little boy asleep, and I'm going to make it thru day 3.
Although sad to miss birthday party I'm also feeling good about my decision to stay home, and glad to be sober.
Hope everyone out there is doing well.
And thanks for all of your support.