Notices

What are some of the biggest changes.........

Old 06-10-2013, 02:25 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I forgot stuff... mainly because it was stuff from when I was first sober. One of the best things for me in early sobriety was not having to shop for the booze anymore. It was such a tiring thing to do. I would usually go to two different stores a night and would have to plan it all out around anything else I had to do. Now I just have to feed myself to function in the evenings.

Not having to hide the empties too. I am ashamed to admit this but I stopped recycling because I was embarrassed about what was in there. I would go and drop my empties in other people's bins every night. And I live alone. Totally unnecessary behaviour really.

The relief of having nothing to hide anymore is hard to describe. It's like freedom. I am honest with my family and am comfortable enough in my sobriety to be honest with other people too. All that running around to hide it was positively exhausting.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I second Fantail's post about continuity of thought, and have also felt a lot of creativity coming to the surface, just over the past few months. I've been more present every day and able to plan. It is impossible to plan (or should I say take ones own plans seriously) if drinking can come along and scupper it by ruining productivity. My "year of doing things differently" as I call it began in march and I've just learnt I've been graded top possible grade by my boss and earned myself a promotion!

But I have to say work, health, weight, looks...all lovely improvements but for me the top benefit has to be the fact I am very kind to myself sober. I feel worthy enough for me to spare time looking after myself. All other benefits seem, to me, to come from that one really simple starting point.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I now show up and do things I said I'd do. During my drinking days I had many "I'm gunnas" now I do things like travel, be far less dependent on what others do or think. A big one also is that I feel good within my skin. BE WELL
Old 06-10-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you for starting this wonderful thread Nighthawk. Your posts are very inspirational and motivating!

I'm just at about 4.5 months sober. Wowzers, once I've actually committed to it, it's one of the best decisions I've made in my life. As each month of my sobriety progresses, I feel like I'm waking up and seeing, feeling and thinking with a clarity that I was always meant to. (I also relate to those fragmented thoughts from drinking that others have mentioned.) I'm recognizing a feeling of experiencing life almost similar to that of when I was a child.

Other benefits:
- I look better, as I'm back down to my healthy/fit weight (lost 15 pounds). My face is no longer bloated and the whites of my eyes are actually white again. My hair is smoother and healthier too.
- I love waking up early now and feel great and refreshed and ready to take on the day.
- I'm starting to see all the simple and little beautiful things again, i.e. birds chirping, trees, fresh air, ...life!
- My confidence is coming back. When I drank, I felt ashamed, insecure and fearful. Now I'm starting to feel strong and disciplined and healthy.
- I see a positive future again. I know that I can create it to how I want it to be and I'm in control of my own life. I now know that the goal and the journey is not an impossibility.
- I'm grateful now to live and experience this life. (When I drank I just saw the negative and wanted to escape feeling it.)

BTW - I watched "Way of the Peaceful Warrior" yesterday. Lol. So much of it resonated to how I'm mentally and emotionally changing through sobriety. This is a great clip about forgetting about the nasty past, and focus on the now: TAKE OUT THE TRASH - YouTube
Old 06-10-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nighthawk8820 View Post
AWESOME!!!!! I loved reading this and I am proud of you. Congrats on this huge milestone and I wish you many, many more anniversaries.
And I thank you for the support. You're kinda awesome yourself!