Notices

What are some of the biggest changes.........

Old 06-09-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

What are some of the biggest changes.........

I was thinking we could share some of our of personal advances or changes for the positive that we have experienced sober vs. When we use. I think this is fun, but also helps newcomers to see how much better life can really get when you arent using. So, what are some of the biggest changes you have experienced (for the positive) after quitting alcohol or drugs? You can also share how long you have been clean or sober, but you dont have to.

I'll start. For me , the best changes have been: (2 years of sobriety)

1. I have WAY less anxiety now than I ever did using. I still get anxious, but its manageable and doesn't keep me a prisoner anymore.

2. I have real friendships now. I used to have a ton of bar "Friends" and even though I only have 2-3 close friends now.........id rather have 3 quarters than 75 pennies.

3. I like myself again and I keep rising to the occasion whenever challenged. This makes me believe I really can do anything if I put my mind to it.

4. I am happier (obviously) and I got a job doing something I love after I was able to finally finish school.

5. When I wake up on a Sunday morning, I dont dread what I said or did when out,What I may have posted on facebook, or what I texted the night before.

Okay, now everyone share
Old 06-09-2013, 05:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I didn't realise until I got sober just how much of the things I did were related to other people's expectations of me, which surprised me because I always thought I didn't care what people thought. I guess that because I couldn't drink anymore I couldn't use my resentments of other people as an excuse to drink so I didn't create any by letting people manipulate me. I am more honest as a result and my relationships with others are better, plus I am happier.

My anxiety has all but disappeared. I used to have frequent panic attacks and was bordering on agoraphobia and hypochondria. Now any anxiety I get is directly linked to everyday life stuff and is laughable in comparison to what I used to have to deal with.

I am happy now, occasionally, but I have these intense moments of contentment I have never experienced before. It's an odd feeling. I don't get suicidal thoughts anymore either.

I had a fair bit of nerve damage from my drinking which as pretty much disappeared now. I get the odd tingle now and then but it is so nice to have all the feeling back in my legs.

I continue to see improvements in my life pretty much constantly. I am 15 months sober now and although I am happy with the changes I've seen so far I get the impression I haven't seen anything yet. I feel so much better now and able to make more positive steps whereas for the majority of the first year I felt pretty rotten. It's all good stuff, even the bad stuff has a silver lining.

Great idea for a thread x
Old 06-09-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's way more relaxing not having to sneak around, doing lines in bathrooms, etc.

I have also noticed I am way more present and involved with my kids.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
I didn't realise until I got sober just how much of the things I did were related to other people's expectations of me, which surprised me because I always thought I didn't care what people thought. I guess that because I couldn't drink anymore I couldn't use my resentments of other people as an excuse to drink so I didn't create any by letting people manipulate me. I am more honest as a result and my relationships with others are better, plus I am happier.

My anxiety has all but disappeared. I used to have frequent panic attacks and was bordering on agoraphobia and hypochondria. Now any anxiety I get is directly linked to everyday life stuff and is laughable in comparison to what I used to have to deal with.

I am happy now, occasionally, but I have these intense moments of contentment I have never experienced before. It's an odd feeling. I don't get suicidal thoughts anymore either.

I had a fair bit of nerve damage from my drinking which as pretty much disappeared now. I get the odd tingle now and then but it is so nice to have all the feeling back in my legs.

I continue to see improvements in my life pretty much constantly. I am 15 months sober now and although I am happy with the changes I've seen so far I get the impression I haven't seen anything yet. I feel so much better now and able to make more positive steps whereas for the majority of the first year I felt pretty rotten. It's all good stuff, even the bad stuff has a silver lining.

Great idea for a thread x
Right? Isnt it exciting imagining all that can happen now that we are sober? Im at 2 years and I sometimes feel I am just getting things started and havent even begun to see the greatness that awaits me in life. Ive seen plenty of great changes already, but it excited me imagining all the possibilities I now have that I wouldn't have even considered when I was drinking, Its a big change from how I felt when I was using, to say the least. Thanks for the reply.

I also had paralyzing anxiety. I thought I would never be free of it. I didnt realize it was all alcohol, the whole time. Now I am learning to be social and meet people as myself, and I like what I am seeing.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good topic. I am in my freaking head all stressed out today, so I really appreciate your thread. Looking at these things and being positive is great for people like us!

Here are mine :

1.) Definitely agree on the having REAL friends and knowing I can trust them and talk to them about anything. I feel so much more loved and accepted by my new social group than the party people!

2.) Being able to maintain a loving relationship with a man who I adore and having our lives be stable, mostly happy and not a bunch of immature drama or fighting. It's the first true love I have had in a way! My guy is awesome but part of that is me becomming a better person first. I would not have dated the old me! Haha. She was a mess.

3.) Better health overall, more energy and less days spent hungover or sick from opiate detox (which is a nightmare I would not wish on my worst enemy).

4.) Being able to keep my commitments. People can count on me. Setting goals that I actually reach. All of this is very important to me and I'm learning to actually like myself.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I agree with your #1, Night. My anxiety was through the roof - I was very confrontational and erratic. Yet my answer was to have another drink. It's so good to find the calm, serene me that was always in there. I'd agree with your #5, too - except that for me it was waking up EVERY day wondering what I said or did the night before.

Drinking and postponing decisions until everything was completely unmanageable was the way I lived for so long. I'm so thankful to be able to repair the things I messed up - and to stay on top of problems as they occur, instead of hiding my head in the sand.

I'm so glad to be free of it - free to go places where they don't serve alcohol (gasp!). Free to sit in a movie for 2 hours without getting shaky, free to make arrangements to do things early in the day without worrying about a hangover or being sick. Never again, thankyou!
Old 06-09-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by BabyJane View Post
Good topic. I am in my freaking head all stressed out today, so I really appreciate your thread. Looking at these things and being positive is great for people like us!

Here are mine :

1.) Definitely agree on the having REAL friends and knowing I can trust them and talk to them about anything. I feel so much more loved and accepted by my new social group than the party people!

2.) Being able to maintain a loving relationship with a man who I adore and having our lives be stable, mostly happy and not a bunch of immature drama or fighting. It's the first true love I have had in a way! My guy is awesome but part of that is me becomming a better person first. I would not have dated the old me! Haha. She was a mess.

3.) Better health overall, more energy and less days spent hungover or sick from opiate detox (which is a nightmare I would not wish on my worst enemy).

4.) Being able to keep my commitments. People can count on me. Setting goals that I actually reach. All of this is very important to me and I'm learning to actually like myself.
It really is a great feeling when people start trusting you again, and YOU start trusting you again. Im getting back my credibility, which is a really positive thing for me. When I got sober, I remember telling people my plan and seeing their eyes roll, not believing a word I said. I got angry, even though it was justly deserved. The anger fueled my drive to prove them wrong, and here I am 2 years strong and loving most days. People find me interesting again, and I now realize what a bore I had become being a liar and a drunk for so long.I wouldnt have dated me either.........in fact, I didnt even like hanging out with myself at that time, lol.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
I agree with your #1, Night. My anxiety was through the roof - I was very confrontational and erratic. Yet my answer was to have another drink. It's so good to find the calm, serene me that was always in there. I'd agree with your #5, too - except that for me it was waking up EVERY day wondering what I said or did the night before.

Drinking and postponing decisions until everything was completely unmanageable was the way I lived for so long. I'm so thankful to be able to repair the things I messed up - and to stay on top of problems as they occur, instead of hiding my head in the sand.

I'm so glad to be free of it - free to go places where they don't serve alcohol (gasp!). Free to sit in a movie for 2 hours without getting shaky, free to make arrangements to do things early in the day without worrying about a hangover or being sick. Never again, thankyou!

I know its not good to look back, but I wish I had known that alcohol was the root of all my panic and paralyzing anxiety. I suppose we each have our own path to walk and I learned it when I was supposed to, but dayum....I had it for SOO long and it was horrible. Those memories of past panic attacks and being afraid to even go to a gas station are what keep me motivated and fighting in sobriety. I never want to experience that ever again.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

"I'm so glad to be free of it - free to go places where they don't serve alcohol (gasp!). Free to sit in a movie for 2 hours without getting shaky, free to make arrangements to do things early in the day without worrying about a hangover or being sick. Never again, thankyou!"

Its amazing how much energy being an alcoholic takes. Its the little things like you said about being able to go to the movies and relax and enjoy it that make the biggest difference. There is so much planning that goes into catering to an addiction, its like a full time job. Arranging your life to accommodate the booze is exhausting. I was the same as you, and your post made me smile thinking about how I dont have to do those things anymore.

I was at the gym today, a Sunday at 10am and then I went to the pet store to purchase cat food. I stopped in the middle of the store and realized I was up and out doing things on a Sunday morning, anxiety fee, and confident. That wouldnt have happened 2 years ago. I would be at home, sleeping off a nightmare of a hangover, with horrible anxiety, unable to leave the house, and ordering junk food...........feeling like crap all around. What a relief!!!!!
Old 06-09-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great thread! Thanks for starting it...I love reading about the positives others are experiencing in recovery. I will have 7 months Tuesday and I am amazed at how content I am...
1) I have wonderful supportive people in my life - new friends in AA plus old friends and some family members that I isolated from when I was drinking.

2) I feel physically great. I have more energy, look healthy, I exercise a lot more and actually am starting to feel strong.

3) More often than not, I can handle situations without letting my emotions guide me.

4) I don't make everyone else's problems all about me. No more "excuses" for me to stay drinking.

5) I have hope for the future but I live in today.

Truly filled with gratitude for all the above and more.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Love your posts nighthawk. Keep it up, you're an inspiration
Old 06-09-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

2 years sober tomorrow.

- ran a full marathon (3:27)
- took up cycling (rode 230km just this weekend)
- lost weight but also just look healthier
- I've read a book to my two boys (7 and 9) almost every night for the past two years
- excelled at my job and have won recognition for that performance
- lived more in the last two years than I did in the previous 5
Old 06-09-2013, 09:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Tippingpoint View Post
2 years sober tomorrow.

- ran a full marathon (3:27)
- took up cycling (rode 230km just this weekend)
- lost weight but also just look healthier
- I've read a book to my two boys (7 and 9) almost every night for the past two years
- excelled at my job and have won recognition for that performance
- lived more in the last two years than I did in the previous 5

AWESOME!!!!! I loved reading this and I am proud of you. Congrats on this huge milestone and I wish you many, many more anniversaries.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

These posts are great to read. I am hoping to get to this point... I know I feel better when I don't drink. I am getting back to the gym, doing things with my friends and family that don't require drinking, taking my puppy on walks... Simple things to get my mind off of it.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by mmc514 View Post
These posts are great to read. I am hoping to get to this point... I know I feel better when I don't drink. I am getting back to the gym, doing things with my friends and family that don't require drinking, taking my puppy on walks... Simple things to get my mind off of it.
Sounds like you have your head in a great place to start. I really want you to succeed.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

The big one for me is honesty with myself and my family. I don't have to hide things from them and feel guilty anymore. The sense of freedom that gives me is huge.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This is really helpful for someone like me at the beginning of the journey.

Thanks everyone.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
now's the time

Something that is just starting to really unfold for me is the incredible power of continuity of thought. I've been sober almost four months. I have thoughts and ideas that I've been connected to that whole time... Keeping them around, modifying them, researching, adding slowly. This applies to things I'm learning about, creative threads I'm pursuing, and also big life philosophy type stuff.

In comparison I feel like while drinking my thought was chopped up into these brief fragments. I'd think in sprints in between obsessing over alcohol or flat outb blacking out. No ideas other than the most crucial would hang around for long. Either I eexecuted it very quickly or lost it. I did manage to be pretty productive with those sprints but I'm beginning to see how much nuance I was missing.

Typos the fault of my phone, inarticulate description due to my sleepiness.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great thread. Surprised (and delighted) to read the posts stating how much their anxiety decreased or dissipated. Wow. Lovely to hear one week in.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fantail View Post
Something that is just starting to really unfold for me is the incredible power of continuity of thought. I've been sober almost four months. I have thoughts and ideas that I've been connected to that whole time... Keeping them around, modifying them, researching, adding slowly. This applies to things I'm learning about, creative threads I'm pursuing, and also big life philosophy type stuff.

In comparison I feel like while drinking my thought was chopped up into these brief fragments. I'd think in sprints in between obsessing over alcohol or flat outb blacking out. No ideas other than the most crucial would hang around for long. Either I eexecuted it very quickly or lost it. I did manage to be pretty productive with those sprints but I'm beginning to see how much nuance I was missing.
)
Wow! I feel exactly the same as this, about the continuity vs fragments! Well said. So happy to see someone else is experiencing this too.

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery