Notices

Confused

Old 06-03-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Confused

Hi anyone,

I have a question for someone out there. My husband is in a recovery home for alcoholism. Been there for 5 months and doing very well. He is going to school while in the home, but for the last 4 weeks he has been down like almost depressed. Far as I know he has not spoke to any for his family (that often) maybe once a week which is not unusuall. What is though, that he has stopped calling me (as much), sounding down, and when I ask about it he tells me he has to go and hangs up.

I am starting to worry. I know I need to let him deal with it, and I do, we are an hour apart. Just wondering if this is something normal because he was sexually abused when he was younger. I am not sure if he ever spoke about this to a councilor or not. He tells me he is leaving at the end of the month and finding an appartment to live.

Could he be heading for a relaps?
Old 06-03-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi confused,

I'm not sure if I'm the best one to help you since I'm early into recovery and I'm very sorry to hear you're going through this but I've only stopped my very heavy drinking for almost 2 weeks now and today is the first day I've felt this depressed and my mind is all over the place. I've also read in self help books that the drinker's brain can stay foggy for up to a year so try to stay positive and I really hope your hubby makes it through this rough patch and doesn't relapse. You're being very supportive and your husband is lucky......I'm also lucky to have a supportive fiancee. I hope it works out for you.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, and glad you found us, altho it's too bad you're in a situation that has made you seek us out.

Can I suggest posting in this section of the forum? Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information You will likely get more answers there from folks who have been in your shoes.

Are you going to Alanon meetings? Are you doing things to focus on YOUR recovery also?

Read the stickied material at the top of the forum section if you have time; you'll likely find it quite helpful.

Again, welcome!
Old 06-03-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Hubby - welcome

I've never been in the situation myself - from either side - but I've heard of this before, so it's not unusual, I don't think.

I hope you'll hear from others with more experience soon

D
Old 06-03-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You say he's leaving the home and getting an apt, away from you? If he was done with his time there I'd think he'd be coming home.

Please do check out that link to the friends and families forum.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Lot's of ups and downs in early recovery. Sounds pretty normal to me. However, you do realize you'll drive yourself insane if you worry about him relapsing every time something seems amiss. He's the only one who knows that for sure.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Do they have family counseling where he is at currently? Depression is normal but there is help available if the right people are aware of the situation.