Notices

I'm Carl

Old 05-31-2013, 11:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm Carl

I am Carl. I am new. Sorry. What is this sober recovery?
Old 05-31-2013, 11:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sober Recovery is a forum for those recovering from alcohol and substance abuse addictions and help for family and friends whose lives have been affected by someone else's addiction, Carl

what can we help you with?

D
Old 05-31-2013, 11:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Had a quick look at some posts. Seems very AA NA 12 Step orientated no?
Old 05-31-2013, 11:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

no

We have a lot of 12 step members, but a lot of non 12 step members too, including myself

Especially check out our Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Carl this is a welcoming place for anyone who wants info or support in relation to alcohol or other addictions. Totally supportive,non judgemental and down to earth

Welcome :-)
Old 06-01-2013, 04:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

SR is a great place to find information and receive wonderful support for an alcoholic/addict. You will make great friends and read about the reality of your addiction.

Welcome and stay on board. Read through posts and you will get the idea - A Sober Life Is A Great Life!
Old 06-04-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks. Names not Carl though. Bad South Park joke.
I can't enter the chat area. I get a 'not supported on this..' Checked the help stuff but it didn't mention this type of error. On IPhone 4S if that helps
Old 06-04-2013, 06:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Think it's because I don't have the app
Old 06-04-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! As was mentioned above, we're just a bunch of addicts/alcoholics or family members who are affected by addicts/alcoholics (A's). Me? I'm both.

Though I did do 12-step meetings for a while and still use what I learned there, SR has been my major support in recovery. I've learned to look for the similarities, not the differences. I read through a lot of forums, slowly found people I "clicked with" and was amazed to find out we often followed different ways to recovery, we still clicked?!

I might also add that I lurked here for about 2 years. Quit using, started dabbling in it, quit again, had a major relapse and finally signed on at 6 months clean. 6+ years later, I'm still in recovery, and SR has been a huge part of that.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-04-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can't enter the chat area. I get a 'not supported on this..' Checked the help stuff but it didn't mention this type of error. On IPhone 4S if that helps
Chat access is not available to phones at this time.

D
Old 06-04-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh thanks for the above.

I did AA for a while and took some real positives from it and have tried to go back a few times but it just isn't for me. I see a lot of basic undiagnosed anxiety disorders in most of the shares, especially the new comers. The groups are almost always filled with the same much older members than me and after reading the yellow papers website stuff it was enough for me. Also seeing the same people at the same meetings who keep busting after 3 months was depressing. I think unless u have a lightbulb moment at your first few meetings its probably not for you. My opinion only. If it works for some people GREAT. The whole program I think may have helped the older guys especially because men of 45+ age had a forum to talk about feelings which was not the norm back then.

I am very self aware of my problems. I just can't fix them.

I am in a bind in that I Need a detox and a 3 month rehab as a circuit breaker but rehabs won't take u unless your 100% drug free. Detox is 7-10 days. I have been taking Benzos daily for 8 years. Simply can't get off them in 10 days. Especially at the levels i have been taking them in for the last 6 months. Then there is my prescribed Ritalin and Clonazepam. They won't allow it.

Frustrating
Old 06-04-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

SMART or LifeRing meetings might be an option then PB?
or Rational Recovery?

D