Old 06-02-2013, 04:38 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome PP

have a good day everyone

D
Old 06-02-2013, 05:12 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hi Pure, I was in September too. Been going back and forth, had some stretches, but ready to quit for good now! It feels great, even though I know it's not always going to be easy.

Day two, and no booze in sight, and not going anywhere today. So I'm pretty confident.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Loving your positivisty Sober, hope day two is kind to you.

This morning the anxiety got the better of me and I shouted at my hubby and both my children over stupid things

Thankfully things have calmed.

My son was bored so I said joking I'll take you on a bike ride lol he said ok then. Off we set for a 30 min bike ride. I'm so unfit it's unreal after 10 mins I was struggling

But it was lovely listening to him, he talked of all the places in the world he would love to visit, he talked about floods, tornadoes, volcanio's and earth quakes I was very impressed with his knowledge of the world and especially what going on in the world at present. It made me think if my little 10 yr knows that much about the world what is his thoughts on me and my behavior.

I love him more than all the stars in the sky xx

Happy sober Sunday all.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:34 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
can you americans tell me what the thing is with drinking when showering? - it's not an Australian thing at all

D
Ha ha. I only remember doing that in college and then it was just to pound a couple of extra beers while I was taking a shower before going out for the night....It always freaked me out though because I was paranoid about getting shower water in there and I never bothered to put it in a plastic cup so it would be a glass (nice) beer bottle precariously perched on the towel rack up high. I think I did manage to drink 2 while I was in the shower.

Also I think people sometimes do it to be sneaky..."Nobody will EVER think I am having a drink when I am showering, that is just too weird......." I never did it for that reason, but I have many times pounded a beer or two when I went to the restroom, only to emerge with a fresh beer like I was on the same one.............ah the insanity of alcoholic logic.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:54 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Dorris, it's great to be sober for our kids, isn't it? I've always been a good and Attentive mom, but now it'll be even better.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:08 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hi all!

I'm pleased to have found this website and I am joining you in in making June my month to quit drinking and claim back my life!!! No more will I let the demon drink dictate to me, and I only hope I can be of help to anyone out there that suffers with this soul destroying addiction xx
Old 06-02-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Well I made it through day one! Was a bit tempted last nite to just go buy my usual bottle or two wine but decided to just "hang on"! Today will be areal test as a long day of not much to is ahead of but I hoping just posting morning comment that today is day 2 will help.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I also made it through day one! And I didn't go on any drug websites!

Time to conquer day two now!
Old 06-02-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

That's the spirit. We can do this. I am not even really struggling with it at the moment. Feeling paranoid, but not interested in drinking.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Drank last night. I cannot figure out how to turn down a pint in a social situation where everyone in my life equates my entire identity and role in THEIR life with beer. If I turn it down, it will invite a full-blown interrogation, and I am so afraid of that--terrified of other people realizing I have a problem. I know it's not an excuse, but it has sucked me back in these last few times. If only the social beer to keep up appearances didn't lead to ten more at home, but it always does. So it's June 2 for me. I cannot keep going this way. I have to choose my life or ...beer. That is truly what it has come to.

I'm going to a meeting tonight, even though it's 30 miles away. And I am not going to drink today, no matter what.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Count me in for the June class. Have a birthday coming up this month.. might as well have a sober birthday this month, too! I'm on day 3, and hoping to push forward into day 4. I'm moody, and feel physically drained, but that is to be expected. My AV tells me that I should get a quick fix (just one more) so that I can get this house cleaned up and make the most of my day off. I know that the only way this day will be a success is if I stay sober!!

Going to attempt a meeting tomorrow, but for the right reasons this time rather than to look good. Glad to be here. Hope I can keep coming back.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Also want to say it feels good to know we're going through this together. I wish you all the best of luck, and hope this day turns out wonderful for all of you!
Old 06-02-2013, 09:46 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

can you americans tell me what the thing is with drinking when showering? - it's not an Australian thing at all

D
What the? I have never heard of this!?!

Then again in England we jump in and out as fast as possible cus it's usually freeeeeeezing!
Old 06-02-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gwenny View Post
Drank last night. I cannot figure out how to turn down a pint in a social situation where everyone in my life equates my entire identity and role in THEIR life with beer. If I turn it down, it will invite a full-blown interrogation, and I am so afraid of that--terrified of other people realizing I have a problem. I know it's not an excuse, but it has sucked me back in these last few times. If only the social beer to keep up appearances didn't lead to ten more at home, but it always does. So it's June 2 for me. I cannot keep going this way. I have to choose my life or ...beer. That is truly what it has come to.

I'm going to a meeting tonight, even though it's 30 miles away. And I am not going to drink today, no matter what.
Don't go out?
Say your on medication?
Tell them the truth?

I dunno... im not one to talk, I told my friends I was quitting but not because I was abusing it. Slipped after nearly 3 weeks, hated myself and now back to single figures.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:54 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I started in the class of May 2013. Today is my 20th day without any alcohol...It has been relatively easy...surprisingly. I only have had a few rough moments when dealing with issues that I felt I wanted to drink, but I overcame those issues sober, and it felt great.

I found a post on facebook that my friend posted, and I want to share with everyone here. Please copy and paste to your facebook page and share as well. I posted this in the May class, but then thought to post it here for the new June class. Best of success to all June members.

Hello, my name is DRUGS - I destroy homes, tear families apart, take your children, and that's just the start. I'm more costly than diamonds, more costly than gold, the sorrow I bring is a sight to behold. And if you need me, I'm easily found, I live all around you, in schools and in town. I live with the rich, I live with the poor, I live down the street, and maybe next door. My power is awesome; try me, you'll see. But if you do, you may NEVER break free. Just try me once and I might let you go, but try me twice, and I'll own your soul. When I possess you, you'll steal and you'll lie. You do what you have to just to get high. The crimes you'll commit, for my narcotic charms will be worth the pleasure you'll feel in my arms. You'll lie to your mother; you'll steal from your dad. When you see their tears, you should feel sad. But you'll forget your morals and how you were raised, I'll be your conscience,I'll teach you my ways. ...

I take kids from parents, and parents from kids, I turn people from God, and separate friends. I'll take everything from you, your looks and your pride, I'll be with you always, right by your side. You'll give up everything... your family, your home... your friends, your money, then you'll be alone. I'll take and take, till you have nothing more to give.When I'm finished with you you'll be lucky to live. If you try me be warned this is no game. If given the chance, I'll drive you insane. I'll ravage your body; I'll control your mind. I'll own you completely; your soul will be mine. The nightmares I'll give you while lying in bed, the voices you'll hear from inside your head. The sweats, the shakes, the visions you'll see; I want you to know, these are all gifts from me. But then it's too late, and you'll know in your heart, that you are mine, and we shall not part. You'll regret that you tried me, they always do, but you came to me, not I to you. You knew this would happen. Many times you were told, but you challenged my power, and chose to be bold. You could have said no, and just walked away. If you could live that day over, now what would you say? I'll be your master; you will be my slave, I'll even go with you, when you go to your grave. Now that you have met me , what will you do? Will you try me or not? Its all up to you. I can bring you more misery than words can tell. Come take my hand, let me make your life hell. Most drug addicts/alcoholics will not read the whole thing, If you think this just might help ONE person, COPY AND PASTE
Old 06-02-2013, 10:14 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hi gwenny. Might be best to avoid those situations for a while, or face the truth. You could also say you're on a diet or cutting carbs or on new meds.

Welcome new people!

Having a great day two here. I did this for a nice length before so I can do it again and beyond!
Old 06-02-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Big thing for me today....... we went to visit my in-laws for lunch and sat in the garden they offered me a shandy I said "no thanks I'm fine" again my FIL asked if I wanted a cold one I replied "No I'm not drinking any more, had enough and decided I don't want to drink any more" My shocked MIL said" WHAT NEVER AGAIN" and I said "yep"

Thankfully the children were there so they never pushed it any more. I know it won't be left there thou, a family bbq this Saturday coming and I know they will ask if I'm drinking.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

D
I had never heard of it either until a friend of mine told me he did it, and I realized what an outstanding idea it was. A lot of people drink their morning coffee in there, too. Maybe it's all traceable to that episode of Seinfeld where Kramer realizes he can multitask by cooking and doing dishes in the shower.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Yesterday was the internal revelation that indeed I do have a problem and it's time to quit, been lurking around here and thought it would be a good idea to "get involved" rather than just passively participate. My story is pretty simple. Used to think I had control of it, but now realize that alcohol controls me. Got divorced 3 years ago and was sober for a year quite easily, ironically, living with my ex-wife for the past 2 years, stress at work has been high and reflection showed me that I was coming home every night to one-three bottles of wine, 8-12 beers or 375ml of JD a night. Straw kinda broke when I lost a contract I'd had for 7 years and really over did it on Tuesday. Promised that I would take a break on Friday, friend called needing help with a big chore and rewarded me with a 750 of Gentleman Jack. I took it graciously with no intention to drink it and 3 hours later it was half gone. Talked to a friend last night who's three years sober and decided since my skin was crawling from withdrawal, that I need to give it a couple more days until a hard quit date after I can talk to my Dr.on Monday, was so surprised when she told me under no circumstances was I to quit drinking cold turkey and go get a drink NOW. Time will tell, but reflection shows me that unless I'm doing something completely dangerous, racing cars, riding my motorcycle, etc. I can't stop at one...ok, I can stop at one, one being the quantity on hand. Today no alcohol in the house, ex-wife/girlfriend/who know's what that relationship is called is doing my normal chore of grocery shopping so as to not be tempted to buy a six-pack etc while at the store. Don't know how this is going to work after almost 25 years of drinking with a normal bar tab of about 100 bucks a night....but I'm ready for this nonsense to stop, ready for a normal relationship with my son and "partner". So if the Class of June 2013 can accept another member, I'm gonna do my best to put this part of my life behind me. Just gotta do it one day at a time I'm told...not sure if today or tomorrow will be Day 1, but it's gotta happen. Good Luck to the rest of you, I know it's gonna be hard for me, I don't remember the last day I didn't drink too much...last night was the closest at least I remember 98% of it, which is a major step forward...
Old 06-02-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

A friend pointed out to me today that every time I use, I end up making excuses of why I did it..and then I realized, there are NO excuses, I used because I WANTED to get fricken high.. I can no longer blame people, places, and things.

Anywho, hope everyone is enjoying this beautiful sober sunday!