Notices

day 4, and i'm doing something extraordinary

Old 05-30-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 4, and i'm doing something extraordinary

just checking in... this is day 4, and i have spent all morning working at my daughter's school field day, out in the sun and heat. and you know what? i feel fantastic!!! i'm not sick, i have energy, i am extremely well-hydrated! and i am loving every second of it! (i go back after lunch for round two in a bit.)

if this was thursday last week, i would have either had to cancel as a volunteer, or spent the day puking on myself and jittery.

i am so unbelievably thankful for this day. and for the support here and in the AA rooms for my on-going recovery and new sobriety.

also, i will not drink today!!!

just wanted to share... wishing everybody peace, and a good day!
Old 05-30-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Old 05-30-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is *so* cool! This may sound strange ... but it's a wonderful feeling to be feeling wonderful after feeling sub-par for so long.

Have fun at round two of the field day. I won't drink today either.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Ersatz, day 4, and i'm doing something extraordinary? You are FANTASTIC.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What an awesome mom you are!! Congrats on getting to share such a fun day with your daughter. I find you inspiring!

p.s. I'm not going to drink today either
Old 05-30-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job Ersatz!!!! It's wonderful isn't it? I volunteered last week at my daughters school and I loved not having to worry about smelling of booze around the other parents and teachers. My daughter was thrilled too!!

Things like this help to keep us motivated...enjoy!
Old 05-30-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Brilliant, it's amazing your seeing the benefits in such early days, enough to keep you on the right track. Well done xx
Old 05-30-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Marcher

That's so great!!:
Old 05-30-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great job Ersatz!!!!

You are a fantastic mom!
Old 05-30-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

update: first, thank you all for your support and encouragement! it means more than i can say!

i'm home now... sweatier than even my worst night sweats (that was a HUGE side effect of my alcoholism), exhausted, and so grateful i shared today with two of my kids and every K-2 class at our school!

i had a moment of extreme clarity on the walk home, and i need to share it. i drank to numb the stress and pain and all the other junk of life, right? well, that's how i started... before i drank just to keep from getting sick, anyway. but what never even once occured to me before fifteen minutes ago, is that the drinking also numbed the joy and wonder of life. the second it hit me, i almost fell down. it was such a shock. (the next thought was to the effect of "no s#*^, sherlock!") then, after reveling in the truth of that, i got a little sad for not having known it before (stupid booze!!!) but now, i am so thankful for having finally having gotten it into my thick skull and, more importantly, my soul.

i am forever blessed for this moment... and i can only hope someone else out there today can feel it too!
Old 05-30-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ersatzmatriarch View Post

i had a moment of extreme clarity on the walk home, and i need to share it. i drank to numb the stress and pain and all the other junk of life, right? well, that's how i started... before i drank just to keep from getting sick, anyway. but what never even once occured to me before fifteen minutes ago, is that the drinking also numbed the joy and wonder of life. the second it hit me, i almost fell down. it was such a shock. (the next thought was to the effect of "no s#*^, sherlock!")
Umm... I never really thought of that before. It seems so obvious!

I also started to numb, then kept drinking to prevent feeling sick. I have two kids also and I am grateful for every sober moment with them now. I am finding that "the little things" are what bring me the most joy.