Notices

Antabuse

Old 05-22-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Antabuse

Hello everyone,
I just started Antabuse today.I have tried to get sober many times on my own and have attended AA meetings.I am hoping this will help kickstart my sobriety.Everytime I try to get sober I get extremely bored and completely unfulfilled with my life.So I figure If I absolutely can't drink I will have time to maybe figure out who I really am and what I really want to do in life.I find joy in nothing really except drinking drugs and all the other sins in life.I want to embrace my sobriety and find the real joys of life.So of anyone has any input on the mental beginning stages I would be grateful to hear from you.Also any input on the Antabuse. Ok enough of my little rant your help is greatly appreciated!
Old 05-22-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I don't have any experience with Antabuse myself. I totally understand being bored and unfulfilled in early sobriety. I had to sort of force myself to keep myself busy. I did it with AA meetings. I really didn't want to go to as many as I did (in the beginning) but I knew if I didn't fill my time with something productive I'd get restless and bored and probably end up drinking.

That's what worked for me. I went to 2 meetings a day, at least one a day. Made some new friends .... got coffee together, went bowling together, talked on the phone.... a bunch of stuff I hadn't done for a long time. After time (and as I worked the steps) that restlessness started going away.

Good luck to you!
Old 05-22-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't know about antabuse either, but I do know that early weeks of recovery can be a stressful time. Don't let that lead you back to drinking. Keep at it until you've got some good sober time under your belt.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you both for the words of encouragement.Im feeling pretty anxious about now.This is where I usually give in and have a beer.But I won't dare drink on the Antabuse after all I've read about the outcome.Wish this was easier.....
Old 05-22-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You might try actively looking for new activities to be involved in. Anything that does you no harm and is enjoyable.

There's an entire world out there to explore.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For me the early stages of sobriety have been very easy because the hangovers, shame & embarrassment are still fresh in my mind. To me the hard part begins maybe 3 months in because time & distance blur the reasons why I stopped drinking in the first place.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Clearlight,
I really look forward to this part of being sober.I have thought endlessly in the past what I would enjoy or do and nothing seems like it would bring joy to me.I guess that is my alcoholic mind viewing the future.I would l
Old 05-22-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oops hit wrong button.I would love to change careers and let an something else.I just have no idea what that would be.I would love to to find hobbies,cause I have only had my drinking as a hobby for years.I have a lot to learn about sobriety that is for sure.Talana I understand what you say about the hangovers.I really never had to many for awhile.I really don't drink much its the everyday thing that bothers me with my habit.Also I struggle with pain pills latly also.I find if I'm not drinking pills are easy to stay away from.This is another reason I need to quit drinking.I feel like a mess!I just hope this journey gets easier as time goes on.Thank you all for the support,it truly is needed right now
Old 05-22-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have no experience with antabuse, was offered it once a few years ago but would never be allowed it now for other reasons.

Good Luck!
I hope it helps.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

The way I understand it - antabuse won't make you quit thinking about it, it'll just make you sick if you drink it. I highly advise AA or therapy or some type of face to face support in addition to the antabuse. If there was a pill that just made it all go away, none of us would be here.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you again Stubbs
no experience with antabuse either, I'm afraid.

I do think meeting the bored and unfilled challenge is key to lasting recovery tho.

I did a lot of volunteer work - that really helped me feel useful, and it helped a lot of pother people too, I hope.

I don't know if that an option for you - but change is definitely a necessity I think - get rid of anything that's holding you down or drawing you back to your old life....find support, and make your new life what you want it to be.

D
Old 05-22-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee,
I am back once again lol.I really need a change Ive battled this a long time.Sometimes I wish I would just hit rock bottom to give me that extra push.Im a functioning alcoholic.Indo understand this pill is not a magic pill that will fix it all.I thought may e it would give me a chance to be sobs and find the th
Old 05-22-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee,
I am back once again lol.I really need a change Ive battled this a long time.Sometimes I wish I would just hit rock bottom to give me that extra push.Im a functioning alcoholic.Indo understand this pill is not a magic pill that will fix it all.I thought may e it would give me a chance to be lay the beer down for awhile and find the "sober me".I have attended AA and I read so much on the importance of it along with this pill.I just really didnt feel I belonged there.It actually made me want to drink just being there if that makes sense.Not knocking it cause it seems to help a lot of people.Maybe ill end up there again who knows.I really need to find something that interests me besides bad habits.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Stubbs,

Just want to be clear. I'm in no way saying that you must attend AA and if you don't you won't make it. It's something that worked for me but in addition to that I used SR, therapy, a strong base of sober friends, and meds. I needed all of those things. Each of us is different and even though I'm an AA member and I like it I know that it's not for everyone for various reasons.

Just know you're not alone. You need help and sometimes you have to ask for it, which can be tough (it still is for me!).

Sending love and hugs your way.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you paperdolls...
Old 05-22-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Antabuse, I have been told makes you really nauseous after drinking.

I personally see attending an AA meeting much more user friendly
Good luck......
Old 05-22-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I would love to change careers and let an something else.I just have no idea what that would be.I would love to to find hobbies...
You could think of really small changes to start with. It's often the small things that get done and then add up to big things.

Clean your place. Check out some new movies. Light volunteer work. Anything that is EASY to do to get started.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well day one is down,Thank you all for your support and insight!Goodnight.....
Old 05-23-2013, 04:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone,
Can you guys guide me to some helpful links on different programs being used and also some links on what to expect in the early stages and how to cope?Thank you
Old 05-23-2013, 04:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Being on Anabuse does not mean you cannot drink, just mean you will get sick if you do. It is a deterrent, the real work will come from you. What I had to do was get new friends don't hang with the crowd you drank (or did drugs) with. That is if you are a social drinker if your not maybe people will be good for you. Maybe look for volunteer opportunities in your community. That is what helped me make good friends and whatnot. I did not like AA/NA at least by me they are either pushers or people looking, so i got out of that scene. Your mileage will vary.