Notices

I need to be done

Old 05-29-2013, 09:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need to be done

I don't remember how long it has been since I was last here but I can remember that I have been drinking every day since. I need and I want to be done, I just don't know how to do it.

My life is very stressful. I am the sole support for myself and my husband so I can't imagine taking time off to get sober. I think I have been a functional alcoholic, but I believe I am losing my ability to function and I see what is coming.

I am looking for advice and help.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds sort of like what I was/am going through. I am the breadwinner, I have a high stress job, I cannot take time off...and I have absolutely no resources in my community in which to rely on.
The only thing I could do and recommend is complete focus and resolve. Find whatever resources you can online- and then start looking in the community. Find activities at night. Find a hobby to focus in on. Just focus.
I'm in no position to really give life advice seeing how this is my first try at sobriety- but this is what has kept me sober for 6 days so far.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back taps

it can be as simple as reaching out for help - have you thought about things like AA, SMART or some other recovery group?

D
Old 05-29-2013, 10:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dee - I live in a very small town and I don't trust the annonymity of AA. There are no other local programs. I came here for a program.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is good place to start a program !
Old 05-29-2013, 10:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow- now you do sound a lot more like me. I live in a town that is enclosed in one square mile, only accessible by air, and made up of maybe 4000 at most at any given time. I know very well that AA is not always anonymous. EVERYONE here knows who's in AA, who's getting counseling, who went out for treatment, etc.
I haven't tried anything more than SR. I found talking about it, reading other people's posts, etc- it helps. A lot. And watching youtube videos for AA when possible.
Sometimes, internet is the only option. At least, I really, really hope it can be for both our sakes.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's certainly a lot of support here. I really encourage you to use SR as much as you need to. Join our Class of May thread (also in this forum)

Outside of SR, nearly every recovery group has an online option now...other groups like Rational Recovery have no meetings at all

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach, like Rational Recovery or SMART.

The main thing tho - whatever you decide to do - is do something.
In my experience, inaction just leads to more drinking....

D
Old 05-29-2013, 11:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by taps928 View Post
Dee - I live in a very small town and I don't trust the annonymity of AA. There are no other local programs. I came here for a program.
There's always AA Loners. A chap I sponsor lives in a remote area and only gets to meetings once or twice a year. He finds loners a great help.