Notices

new here

Old 05-27-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new here

Hi. I got sober 6 years ago. I went to AA for about a year but did not continue to go. About 3 weeks ago I decided to drink a glass of wine on my lunch break. That led to drinking numerous more times. I finally admitted this to my husband and now he is not speaking to me. He is threatening to leave and take my children. I am such a mess and so scared to lose my family. I am so ashamed right now. I made an appt with a counselor this week. I did not enjoy AA very much and dont want to go back there. My husband said some awful things to me and I am sad that he feels these things about me now.

I am hoping to get some support here because my husband doesn't understand what I am going through.
Thanks for listening!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi eshetz - welcoem I know you'll find a lot of support here.

if you did not enjoy AA very much have you looked at other real life support options?

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

D
Old 05-27-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eshetz View Post
Hi. I got sober 6 years ago. I went to AA for about a year but did not continue to go. About 3 weeks ago I decided to drink a glass of wine on my lunch break. That led to drinking numerous more times. I finally admitted this to my husband and now he is not speaking to me. He is threatening to leave and take my children. I am such a mess and so scared to lose my family. I am so ashamed right now. I made an appt with a counselor this week. I did not enjoy AA very much and dont want to go back there. My husband said some awful things to me and I am sad that he feels these things about me now.

I am hoping to get some support here because my husband doesn't understand what I am going through.
Thanks for listening!
I don't think I was expecting to enjoy AA. But what I was expecting was a room full of people who understood me and my expectations were met. I needed to be around people who had the solution to staying sober.
Did you try it more than once? I hope you do, but anyways welcome to SR, you will find great support here. God BlessYou!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes...I went 3 times a week for about a year. I had a sponsor and did well there. Eventually I just felt like I didn't need it. I guess I was wrong!
Old 05-27-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Eshetz, . Well you quit for 6 years so you have proven to yourself that you can stay sober. I hope you give it up right away and stay sober permanently. This just shows all of us how powerful a disease alcoholism is. If you don't like aa stay away from it. Being sober is your choice. Eshetz here with us on SR. Rootin for ya.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Eshetz. I'm sorry you're going through this painful time - but things won't stay this way.

I felt so much better when I joined here because I was finally understood. My family & friends had no clue what I went through fighting alcoholism. We won't judge you - we will support and encourage you. Please keep posting and move forward to a brighter day.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eshetz View Post
Yes...I went 3 times a week for about a year. I had a sponsor and did well there. Eventually I just felt like I didn't need it. I guess I was wrong!

Yah I stopped going to meetings after 2 1/2 years ( one of my longer stints)

I worked all the steps, made all my amends, had my spritual awakening so I thought and decided I can stop meetings now, I have all the knowledge now.. But that's it, I worked steps 1-12. however as I look back I never lived the steps or the principles. I had a very vague understanding of the steps then. This illness centers in my mind so if it centers in my mind how can I think myself out of it. But the 12 steps hold the answer and the solution is in the first 164 pages of the Big Book. Today I have a daily reprieve based on my spiritual condition.
__________________________________________________ _________________________________________
But the actual or potential alcoholic, with hardly an exception, will be absolutely unable to stop drinking on the basis of self-knowledge. This is a point we wish to emphasize and re-emphasize, to smash home upon our alcoholic readers as it has been revealed to us out of bitter experience. (Alcoholics Anonymous pg 39)

Reprinted with Permission of AA World Services, inc

Pretty awesome book, life saving program

For me meetings are there for support for me, to hear how others are working the steps and to give back what was given to me. Paying it forward. If it was working for you, maybe u should do what was working.